Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #11131
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
Definition of self-righteous (adj)
Bing Dictionary

self-right·eous

believing in own virtue: sure of the moral superiority of personal beliefs and actions, usually to an irritating degree

Sounds like you, Boxie.
It looks as if the definition of self-righteous was created with Boxcar in mind.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #11132
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
It looks as if the definition of self-righteous was created with Boxcar in mind.
Actually, it was created for all unbelievers who always do what is RIGHT[eous] in their own eyes. This why people like you don't need a Savior.

Boxcar
Old 03-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #11133
Greyfox

"The Clergy Project"

This morning I read an interesting article by a John Lombard, a former clergyman who lost his faith in Christianity.
Mr. Lombard's article outlined some of the difficulties that a clergyman experiences when he no longer "believes."
He went through that process and not much support for his change of beliefs was readily available.
What also caught my eye in the Lombard article was "The Clergy Project."
It's an organization started in 2011 to assist clergy who no longer believe.
In three years that organization already over 550 members - people who were church leaders from various faiths who no longer buy into their previous religious beliefs.

A link to the Clergy Project is at:
http://www.clergyproject.org/

John Lombard's article is at:
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...elieve-in-god/
Old 03-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #11134
hcap

self-right·eous:

believing in own virtue: sure of the moral superiority of personal beliefs and actions, usually usually to an irritating degree

Box what part of the phrase "to an irritating degree", don't you understand?

Let me help you out here.

self-right·eous
[self-rahy-chuhs, self-]
adjective
confident of one's own righteousness, especially when smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others.

Origin:
1670–80

egotistical
hypocritical

sanctimonious
affected
holier-than-thou

Old 03-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #11135
hcap

http://www.nature.com/news/all-you-n...-waves-1.14886

All you need to know about gravitational waves

A beginner's guide to the BICEP2 discovery of primordial gravitational waves.

Astronomers have announced the detection of the imprint of primordial 'gravitational waves' that originated in the Big Bang that created our Universe 13.8 billion years ago. The discovery has been hailed as a milestone in science, but the concepts involved will be unfamiliar to many people. Help is at hand. Here are some FAQs on gravitational waves and their answers.

What is the significance of the BICEP2 announcement?

Scientists will be unravelling the consequences of this discovery for years. But some major implications are already clear:

Albert Einstein predicted 'gravitational waves' nearly 100 years ago, but he also calculated that they would be extremely feeble, so much so that he thought they would never be detected. BICEP2's findings are the most convincing evidence — short of direct detection — that gravitational waves actually exist.

The waves are the confirmation of a cornerstone theory of the standard picture of cosmology. This theory, called inflation, says that during the first moments of its existence, the Universe underwent a brief period of exponential expansion.

During inflation, the Universe's temperature — and thus the energies reached by elementary particles — were trillions of times higher than can be achieved in any laboratory, even in particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland.

Because inflation is a quantum phenomenon and gravitational waves are part of classical physics, gravitational waves establish a link between the two, and could be the first evidence that gravity has a quantum nature just like the other forces of nature (see 'How to see quantum gravity in Big Bang traces')
Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #11136
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
In three years that organization already over 550 members - people who were church leaders from various faiths who no longer buy into their previous religious beliefs.
The tip of the iceburg. I believe most high profile religious leaders are charlatans. It takes smarts to swindle people. The more intelligent the less need for superstition.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #11137
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
self-right·eous:

believing in own virtue: sure of the moral superiority of personal beliefs and actions, usually usually to an irritating degree

Box what part of the phrase "to an irritating degree", don't you understand?

Let me help you out here.

self-right·eous
[self-rahy-chuhs, self-]
adjective
confident of one's own righteousness, especially when smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others.

Origin:
1670–80

egotistical
hypocritical

sanctimonious
affected
holier-than-thou

Again, what part of "one's OWN can't you grasp? A Christian does not rely on his OWN righteousness to win God's favor. And this is the core difference between Christianity and all the also ran religions of the world.

Boxcar
Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #11138
boxcar

Quote:
http://www.nature.com/news/all-you-n...-waves-1.14886

All you need to know about gravitational waves

A beginner's guide to the BICEP2 discovery of primordial gravitational waves.

Astronomers have announced the detection of the imprint of primordial 'gravitational waves' that originated in the Big Bang that created our Universe 13.8 billion years ago. The discovery has been hailed as a milestone in science, but the concepts involved will be unfamiliar to many people. Help is at hand. Here are some FAQs on gravitational waves and their answers.

What is the significance of the BICEP2 announcement?

Scientists will be unravelling the consequences of this discovery for years. But some major implications are already clear:

Albert Einstein predicted 'gravitational waves' nearly 100 years ago, but he also calculated that they would be extremely feeble, so much so that he thought they would never be detected. BICEP2's findings are the most convincing evidence — short of direct detection — that gravitational waves actually exist.

The waves are the confirmation of a cornerstone theory of the standard picture of cosmology. This theory, called inflation, says that during the first moments of its existence, the Universe underwent a brief period of exponential expansion.

During inflation, the Universe's temperature — and thus the energies reached by elementary particles — were trillions of times higher than can be achieved in any laboratory, even in particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland.

Because inflation is a quantum phenomenon and gravitational waves are part of classical physics, gravitational waves establish a link between the two, and could be the first evidence that gravity has a quantum nature just like the other forces of nature (see 'How to see quantum gravity in Big Bang traces')
I have an observation to make about "inflation", if you don't mind. One's head must be blown way out of proportion to the rest of his body in order to seriously entertain such drivel.

And while on the subject of drivel, have you figured out, yet, into where the stream of all Time empties?

Boxcar
Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #11139
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
The tip of the iceburg. I believe most high profile religious leaders are charlatans. It takes smarts to swindle people. The more intelligent the less need for superstition.
Possibly true.
My interest in the article was piqued by the fact that I had known three men over my lifetime who had given up the Priesthood for various reasons.
However, none of them ever admitted, to me at least, that they had given up their Christian faith.
I would suspect that a churchman who had lost his faith must be in a very troubled pulpit of the mind if he no longer believes.
Yet it sounds like quite a few are trapped in that position.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:48 AM   #11140
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Again, what part of "one's OWN can't you grasp? A Christian does not rely on his OWN righteousness to win God's favor. And this is the core difference between Christianity and all the also ran religions of the world.

Without religion, self righteousness would not exist. The concept of righteousness is needed first

righteous - definition of righteous by the Free Online Dictionary ...
www.thefreedictionary.com/righteous‎
TheFreeDictionary.com
Morally upright; without guilt or sin: a righteous parishioner. 2. In accordance with virtue or morality: a righteous judgment. 3. Morally justifiable: righteous anger.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Self-righteousness (also called sanctimoniousness, sententiousness, and holier-than-thou attitudes[1]) is a feeling or display of (usually smug) moral superiority[2] derived from a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person. Self-righteous individuals are often intolerant of the opinions and behaviors of others.[3]

You spend 90% of the time here telling everyone you are "holier-than-thou" Your contribution to this thread is mostly your preening and prancing before a supposed admiring audience publicly.

Pathetic.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:00 AM   #11141
hcap

Quote:
I have an observation to make about "inflation", if you don't mind. One's head must be blown way out of proportion to the rest of his body in order to seriously entertain such drivel.

And while on the subject of drivel, have you figured out, yet, into where the stream of all Time empties?
Do us all a favor, (including yourself), and stay out of scientific discussions. Anyone who takes the bible literally is automatically disqualified from commenting.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #11142
hcap

More Boxcarian logic

Conservative Christian Bryan Fischer explains why god hasn’t killed Bill Maher yet One of the religious right's main provocateurs on why HBO's chief dissenter is still breathing

After Bill Maher gave one of his usual anti-religion rants over the weekend — this time saying god is “kind of a dick,” a “tyrant” and “drowns babies” — one had to figure it was only a matter of time before the big guy upstairs let loose a thunderbolt or two and laid the comedian-cum-political commentator down for good.

And yet, as of this writing, Maher remains among us. From all indications, in fact, he’s not even sick! How to explain god’s failure to smite the host of HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher”?

[YT="More lunacy"]/svLmiqtdEvk?[/yt]
Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #11143
boxcar

Quote:
More Boxcarian logic

Conservative Christian Bryan Fischer explains why god hasn’t killed Bill Maher yet One of the religious right's main provocateurs on why HBO's chief dissenter is still breathing

After Bill Maher gave one of his usual anti-religion rants over the weekend — this time saying god is “kind of a dick,” a “tyrant” and “drowns babies” — one had to figure it was only a matter of time before the big guy upstairs let loose a thunderbolt or two and laid the comedian-cum-political commentator down for good.

And yet, as of this writing, Maher remains among us. From all indications, in fact, he’s not even sick! How to explain god’s failure to smite the host of HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher”?

[YT="More lunacy"]/svLmiqtdEvk?[/yt]
This is very easy to explain. Ready? God may tarry but He's never late. The same goes with His executing justice with condemnation that will never end. Bill Maher and all of his kind, however, will one day wish that God had been late.

Jer 12:1
1 Righteous art Thou, O Lord, that I would plead my case with Thee;
Indeed I would discuss matters of justice with Thee:
Why has the way of the wicked prospered?
Why are all those who deal in treachery at ease?

NASB

You see...there's nothing new under the sun. Even a prophet of God wondered the same thing.

Boxcar
Old 03-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #11144
boxcar

Quote:

Without religion, self righteousness would not exist. The concept of righteousness is needed first

righteous - definition of righteous by the Free Online Dictionary ...
www.thefreedictionary.com/righteous‎
TheFreeDictionary.com
Morally upright; without guilt or sin: a righteous parishioner. 2. In accordance with virtue or morality: a righteous judgment. 3. Morally justifiable: righteous anger.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Self-righteousness (also called sanctimoniousness, sententiousness, and holier-than-thou attitudes[1]) is a feeling or display of (usually smug) moral superiority[2] derived from a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person. Self-righteous individuals are often intolerant of the opinions and behaviors of others.[3]

You spend 90% of the time here telling everyone you are "holier-than-thou" Your contribution to this thread is mostly your preening and prancing before a supposed admiring audience publicly.

Pathetic.

YOu see...that definition fits every skeptic here to a tee. All skeptics spend "90 of the time here" making excuses for why they are more righteous and holier and just and compassionate and wiser than God is. All you skeptics do is tear down God and insult him endlessly so that you can feel good (i.e. RIGHT[eous] about yourselves!

I rest my case.

Boxcar
Boxcar
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #11145
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I rest my case.

Boxcar
Boxcar
What case?

Quote:
YOu see...that definition fits every skeptic here to a tee. All skeptics spend "90 of the time here" making excuses for why they are more righteous and holier and just and compassionate and wiser than God is. All you skeptics do is tear down God and insult him endlessly so that you can feel good (i.e. RIGHT[eous] about yourselves!
The skeptic's sole position is that there is no evidence that God, or any other deity, exists. The concept of being "more righteous and holier and just and compassionate and wiser" than a non-existent being is just plain ludicrous. How can you "tear down" something that does not exist? What would be the point in insulting the non-existent?

All I have ever done is ask for evidence of God's existence, which you have failed to provide, or to point out your fallacious logic. I challenge you to find one post where I have torn down or insulted God, or claimed to be "more righteous and holier and just and compassionate and wiser than God is."