Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #11086
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
That doesn't really answer the question now, does it? You're deflecting.

However, I'm unaware of any criteria by which the "true flock" are supposed to judge which are "false shepherds and blind guides" and which are true ones.
Don't worry. Boxcar will lead the way.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #11087
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Don't worry. Boxcar will lead the way.
I worry that Boxcar is a false prophet.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #11088
hcap

Amazing! Nothing has changed in over 11,000 posts.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:33 AM   #11089
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap

Not wanting to rain on your parade but I have serious doubts that Albert ever said this.

I would say the same about most everything atributed to most anyone in the bible...Of which Einstein is proven to have said:

"the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."
Old 03-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #11090
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Not wanting to rain on your parade but I have serious doubts that Albert ever said this.
brainyquote.com attributes it to him, which brings up the question of how reliable brainyquote is. Unless one could quickly find a source for it confirming or debunking it definitively would probably take too much time and effort.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #11091
hcap

From Wiki.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...lbert_Einstein

He said he believed in the "pantheistic" God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the label atheist, preferring, he said, "an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.

Einstein was raised by secular Jewish parents. In his Autobiographical Notes, Einstein wrote that he had gradually lost his faith early in childhood:

. . . I came—though the child of entirely irreligious (Jewish) parents—to a deep religiousness, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of twelve. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic orgy of freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived by the state through lies; it was a crushing impression. Mistrust of every kind of authority grew out of this experience, a skeptical attitude toward the convictions that were alive in any specific social environment—an attitude that has never again left me, even though, later on, it has been tempered by a better insight into the causal connections.

I do not disagree at all.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #11092
Actor
Librocubicularist

[YT="Center of All Things"]pzKZb3qHyXk[/YT]
Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #11093
TJDave

Much mileage has been made of Einstein's purported agnosticism. However, his private persona clearly shows a disdain for religion and deity.

Written shortly before his death:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10...-weakness.html
Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #11094
TJDave

Quote:
brainyquote.com attributes it to him, which brings up the question of how reliable brainyquote is. Unless one could quickly find a source for it confirming or debunking it definitively would probably take too much time and effort.
Einstein played the violin and would have understood the value of practice.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #11095
boxcar

Quote:
That doesn't really answer the question now, does it? You're deflecting.

However, I'm unaware of any criteria by which the "true flock" are supposed to judge which are "false shepherds and blind guides" and which are true ones.
Of course, you're unaware. You know virtually nothing of the gospel message, nor do you want to.

Boxcar
Old 03-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #11096
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Of course, you're unaware. You know virtually nothing of the gospel message, nor do you want to.

Boxcar
Again you are deflecting. Are there or are there not any instructions in holy writ on how to tell the false prophets/messiahs from the real thing?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #11097
boxcar

Quote:
Again you are deflecting. Are there or are there not any instructions in holy writ on how to tell the false prophets/messiahs from the real thing?
For starters, read Deut chapters 13 and 18.

Where are the other Christians on this forum? No one knows this?

Good grief, I'm gone for one day and the Religious thread dropped out of sight down to page 2 of this forum. I had to actually search for it. (I thought maybe PA deleted it.)

Boxcar
Old 03-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #11098
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Good grief, I'm gone for one day ...

Boxcar
You were gone for almost three days, 2 days 22 hours 27 minutes to be exact. Do the math. Don't forget the change from Standard Time to Daylight Savings Time.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #11099
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
For starters, read Deut chapters 13 and 18.

Boxcar
What I get from these is that the false prophets will not be subtle, but instead will be obvious. Meaning that a false prophet would never do something like declare himself the second coming of Christ. Therefore those who make such declarations must be true prophets.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #11100
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Deut chapters 13 and 18.

Boxcar
Deut 18:11 uses the word necromancer, which is of Latin origin and dates back to the 3rd century C.E. What word was used in the original Hebrew and Greek?