Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
JJMartin

Excel - Bris File Creator

This Excel program I designed is a simple tool that opens .drf or .eg files, converts them to columns and closes the original race file. Designed for bris single data files, there's a feature to select the columns you want to keep and delete the rest. Still a work in progress...

Save as .xlsm after download

Instructions:
1.Find the macro "OpenRaceFile" and edit the line:

ChDir "C:\*****PASTE YOUR FILE PATH HERE*******"

between the quotes enter the file path to your race file folder,
example: "C:\Documents\racefiles"

2.Go to settings sheet and click the button 'open race file'

3.IF you have selected a folder for your file path, click the folder and then click on the race file and click open. (make sure it is not a zipped file)

4.In the settings page check off all the desired columns then click on 'Process Race'
Attached Files
File Type: xls BSD_FILE_CREATOR.V1.xls (329.0 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by JJMartin; 12-21-2012 at 07:25 PM.
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
JJMartin

any feedback is welcomed
Old 12-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
BIG49010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMartin
any feedback is welcomed
Not sure exactly what your trying to do, but the latest Excel will take in all of the drf files. It is not restricted to 255 col. You might want to check out Ray's program.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
Not sure exactly what your trying to do, but the latest Excel will take in all of the drf files. It is not restricted to 255 col. You might want to check out Ray's program.
why would you say its restricted to 255 col?
Old 12-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
Capper Al

Quote:
EXcel prior to 2007 had a 255 column limit.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
EXcel prior to 2007 had a 255 column limit.
I'm aware of that, I've had all the versions of Excel. I thought maybe BIG49010 was having a problem using the file. I use Excel 2010. I should clarify that if you are still using 2003, this won't work.

This is just a simple program that converts delimited race files, all 1435 columns for you instead of having to do it manually with the 'Text Import Wizard'...and then I added the column selection sheet, which would auto select which columns to keep (after the initial manual setup) on every race. Obviously theres no header but the column assignment number which you could use to determine the definition of the column. Now I could work on this file more, add a header and make it into a full blown analysis software but I have one already. I looked at alldata which is a nice program. It seems like a good 'handicapping with traditional information software' (like reading the newspaper racing form), if that's your goal. I use my own program that is tailored to working with and creating custom algorithms for the purpose of detecting profitable patterns mostly (most currently) in the area of speed using various methods of construction. After 8 years and 1000 mutations, the complexity of the algorithms has become quite elaborate.

Last edited by JJMartin; 12-23-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
BIG49010

Quote:
I played around with your sheet in 2007 Excel, and it seemed to limit on one page to 255. It could be it opened it in 2003 mode.

Nice work though.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Capper Al

Try this:
  1. Open a blank tab (sheet)
  2. Click the data tab
  3. Click Import From Text
  4. In the box that popped up, Go to your folder/directory
  5. Choose "All Files" from the drop down in the lower right of the box.
  6. Click on your file name
  7. Click Import
  8. A new box comes -- Make sure delimited is highlighted. If not, click it.
  9. Click Next
  10. uncheck tab
  11. Click Comma
  12. Click next
  13. Click Finish
  14. A new box comes up. It should say =$A$1. This should be the cell where you want to start your data import from. If not, change it by clicking on the cell that you want to start your data from.
  15. Once your have your chosen starting point for data import, click ok.
That should do it. You get all the races on the card.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Try this:

1. Open a blank tab (sheet)
  2. Click the data tab
  3. Click Import From Text
  4. In the box that popped up, Go to your folder/directory
  5. Choose "All Files" from the drop down in the lower right of the box.
  6. Click on your file name
  7. Click Import
  8. A new box comes -- Make sure delimited is highlighted. If not, click it.
  9. Click Next
  10. uncheck tab
  11. Click Comma
  12. Click next
  13. Click Finish
  14. A new box comes up. It should say =$A$1. This should be the cell where you want to start your data import from. If not, change it by clicking on the cell that you want to start your data from.
  15. Once your have your chosen starting point for data import, click ok.
That should do it. You get all the races on the card.

The problem is with the .xls extension.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
I'm aware of that, I've had all the versions of Excel. I thought maybe BIG49010 was having a problem using the file. I use Excel 2010. I should clarify that if you are still using 2003, this won't work.

This is just a simple program that converts delimited race files, all 1435 columns for you instead of having to do it manually with the 'Text Import Wizard'...and then I added the column selection sheet, which would auto select which columns to keep (after the initial manual setup) on every race. Obviously theres no header but the column assignment number which you could use to determine the definition of the column. Now I could work on this file more, add a header and make it into a full blown analysis software but I have one already. I looked at alldata which is a nice program. It seems like a good 'handicapping with traditional information software' (like reading the newspaper racing form), if that's your goal. I use my own program that is tailored to working with and creating custom algorithms for the purpose of detecting profitable patterns mostly (most currently) in the area of speed using various methods of construction. After 8 years and 1000 mutations, the complexity of the algorithms has become quite elaborate.
AllData isn't restricted to "traditional information", you just create a new "view" and manipulate any of the raw 1435 field data as you see fit, by referencing either the raw data in the Bris files or any of the data in any of the other "views" already in the workbook, some of which are far from being "traditional", and are already manipulated and /or adjusted.

Getting more than 255 fields of the 1435 fields in the Bris data ,into Excel, was the first thing AllData accomplished, via a text parser utility. Later we got rid of the need to use a parser utility, and now the import is fully automated, within Excel itself. The free AllData workbook, not only imports all of the Bris data, it also imports the Bris Exotic results data. If the user doesn't want to use certain fields in the data files, then he simply doesn't reference that data in the "views" he creates.

I applaud you for your work, and it is fine if you're using 2007 or 2010, but it won't work for the vast majority of Excel users, because they still use previous versions of Excel. AllData works in any version of Excel.

Again, thank you for your offering, it is quite a handy piece of work!!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: