Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Grits

Mullins under investigation in NY

When will this guy learn?

From Thoroughbred Times:
Mullins is under investigation for detention barn violation.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/rac...tion-barn.aspx
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Warren Henry
Once/Always

Why Should He "learn"

If the racing jurisdictions do not administer serious penalties for those who break the rules, why should the rule breakers change. If there are no penalties, those wor run clean run at a disadvantage. If someone gets seriously hurt in the pocketbook, they might not repeatedly violate the integrity of the game (if there is such a thing).

The most important software is between your ears
Warren Henry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Brogan

For those of you that don't know...Air Power is a fairly innocuous liquid administered to help open the airways....think liquid Vick's Vapo Rub. It's generally administered using an oral syringe....which is either a big stainless steel job or a large volume plastic syringe WITHOUT a needle on it. That article leaves the impression that Mullins intended to give an injection, and that's probably not the case at all.

That being said...if he violated detention barn rules, throw the book at him.

Last edited by Brogan; 04-05-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Brogan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Henry
If the racing jurisdictions do not administer serious penalties for those who break the rules, why should the rule breakers change. If there are no penalties, those wor run clean run at a disadvantage. If someone gets seriously hurt in the pocketbook, they might not repeatedly violate the integrity of the game (if there is such a thing).

Couldnt agree more...trainers can get out of things so easily....tie the punishments to the owners as well and you can guarantee it wouldnt happen as much....you could also get the same result by suspending the horse as well
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Just as with Big Brown, Iavaronne is shocked and dismayed (my inference from his response to the Mullins allegation) by the attention potentially turning to the trainer rather than the horse. Didn't the stresses of "investment banking" teach him anything? Oh wait, he was a broker at a marginal firm, not an actual investment banker. Shame on the media for misreporting that for so long. I'm sure Mr. Iavorrone tried to correct it repeatedly.

“If you bet on horses, I would call you an idiot,” the Times quoted the trainer (Mullins) as saying. - from 2005.

At the time, Robert Bone was one of Mullins's largest clients. I've read Mr. Bone likes to bet on horses (Blood Horse interview). What does that make Mr. Bone in Mr. Mullins's opinion?

When Mr. Mullins was winning at a 35% to 40% clip a few yrs ago, he was asked how he was able to post such phenomenal numbers. He indicated that he "worked harder" than everyone else. I'm sure. Most trainers are very lazy, taking weekends and federal holidays off.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan
For those of you that don't know...Air Power is a fairly innocuous liquid administered to help open the airways....think liquid Vick's Vapo Rub. It's generally administered using an oral syringe....which is either a big stainless steel job or a large volume plastic syringe WITHOUT a needle on it. That article leaves the impression that Mullins intended to give an injection, and that's probably not the case at all.

That being said...if he violated detention barn rules, throw the book at him.

Wow thats pretty tough to throw the book at him for a minor infraction. And yes i said Minor.....
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Just as with Big Brown, Iavaronne is shocked and dismayed (my inference from his response to the Mullins allegation) by the attention potentially turning to the trainer rather than the horse. Didn't the stresses of "investment banking" teach him anything? Oh wait, he was a broker at a marginal firm, not an actual investment banker. Shame on the media for misreporting that for so long. I'm sure Mr. Iavorrone tried to correct it repeatedly.

“If you bet on horses, I would call you an idiot,” the Times quoted the trainer (Mullins) as saying. - from 2005.

At the time, Robert Bone was one of Mullins's largest clients. I've read Mr. Bone likes to bet on horses (Blood Horse interview). What does that make Mr. Bone in Mr. Mullins's opinion?

When Mr. Mullins was winning at a 35% to 40% clip a few yrs ago, he was asked how he was able to post such phenomenal numbers. He indicated that he "worked harder" than everyone else. I'm sure. Most trainers are very lazy, taking weekends and federal holidays off.

Good points.....I believe he was also quoted comparing horses to race cars.....definitely gave me the warm and fuzzies....
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
Monty Capuletti

Absolutely nothing minor about thumbing your nose to the rules and administering medication in the detention barn. If that is what happened.

Kind of the whole point of having a detention barn...
Monty Capuletti is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Capuletti
Absolutely nothing minor about thumbing your nose to the rules and administering medication in the detention barn. If that is what happened.

Kind of the whole point of having a detention barn...
So harsh! Jeff was just out hustling his fellow trainers (i.e., if said allegations are true). My sense is there's some degenerate gambler behind this, still plotting to get Mullins in trouble with racing officials.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
Wow thats pretty tough to throw the book at him for a minor infraction. And yes i said Minor.....
Minor?!?!?!?

Every trainer, hell every bettor knows that you dont bring chit into the D barn. A trainer got a month for bringing in yogurt for cripes sakes. This is a major violation, as it should be.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
Valuist

Mullins spends one day in New York and gets caught. Bravo to the NYRA authorities. So what the hell are the California authorities doing? He's there virtually all the time. They should be chastised for their lack of action.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
samyn on the green

Leave them Cali people alone. They mandated the cure-all poly tracks and now they are done with having to babysit the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Mullins spends one day in New York and gets caught. Bravo to the NYRA authorities. So what the hell are the California authorities doing? He's there virtually all the time. They should be chastised for their lack of action.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
lamboguy

we should all take up bridgejumping at oaklawn, you too, rich perloff!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 AM   #14
kenwoodallpromos

Air Power, ALSO syringe

“NYRA security personnel advised the stewards that Mr. Mullins was observed attempting to administer an over-the-counter product called Air Power to [Gato Go Win] in the security barn. He had ****ALSO apparently taken a syringe into the security barn."
LIFETIME BAN FROM RACING.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #15
Brogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
If you want the rules to work as intended, you mete out the prescribed punishments.

When I said throw the book at him, I meant give him the penalty specified for the infraction...not some watered down version.
Brogan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply