Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-09-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
john del riccio

NY Racing

My POP always used to say "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything". With all due respect POP, I just have to disagree on this occasion.

The racing in NY has gotten so bad that its like NYBRED showcase day daily..... MDN25 for SB, MDN15 for SB, etc.. 4 & 5 hortse fileds, horse not finishing races, breaking down, and last week there was a 5,000 claimer which was a first. These are just bad horses, their race times are abissmal WRT the purse structure and it is getting worse everyday.

I don't know if its going to get alot better when the inner closes or even when BEL opens but I am really concerned about it. I was speaking to a friend that owns many horses and I was informed that they have STOPPED looking to claim in NY at all because there are no horses worth claiming. Think about that for a while and you can quickly come to the conclusion that playing into many claiming races at th ewindows might not be such a good idea either.

John
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
alysheba88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by john del riccio
My POP always used to say "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything". With all due respect POP, I just have to disagree on this occasion.

The racing in NY has gotten so bad that its like NYBRED showcase day daily..... MDN25 for SB, MDN15 for SB, etc.. 4 & 5 hortse fileds, horse not finishing races, breaking down, and last week there was a 5,000 claimer which was a first. These are just bad horses, their race times are abissmal WRT the purse structure and it is getting worse everyday.

I don't know if its going to get alot better when the inner closes or even when BEL opens but I am really concerned about it. I was speaking to a friend that owns many horses and I was informed that they have STOPPED looking to claim in NY at all because there are no horses worth claiming. Think about that for a while and you can quickly come to the conclusion that playing into many claiming races at th ewindows might not be such a good idea either.

John

Think you are way way off base on everything. Especially the 4-5 horse fields
alysheba88 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I don't know, but I looked at todays card and pushed it to the recycle bin...........
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
alysheba88
Veteran

I am really surprised that so many are giving away money. To me its the easiest track in the country to make money on and has been year in and year out.

Forget the types of races, the alleged "dreariness" isnt betting about making money? Why are people finding it hard to make money at Aqueduct?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
john del riccio

making money

Where in my post did I mention anything about making money on the inner ?

John
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
jma

Quote:
Originally Posted by john del riccio
Where in my post did I mention anything about making money on the inner ?

John
In your first post, you said "you can quickly come to the conclusion that playing into many claiming races at th ewindows might not be such a good idea either."

You're telling us it's not a good idea to bet on races at Aqueduct. If you don't bet, it's hard to make any money.

As far as field size, keep in mind there's no turf racing. Once that starts up again, you'll have several races a day with nice-sized fields.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
alysheba88
Veteran

Its not just john, have read many posts here and on other forums about NY racing. People love Saratoga I understand ( I do too) but how many really make money at Saratoga every year? To me if you want to make money you must play Aqueduct. Much much easier to win
Old 03-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
aaron

I don't recall anyone saying you can't make money betting Aqueduct. You can make money,but you cannot argue that from a standpoint of quality racing NY is at an all time low. I make money betting Laurel and this winter, I don't see that much difference between Laurel or NY.
Also, I guess other people have noticed,because if you look at attendance on a typical Saturday,I believe Buelah Park and many other tracks outdraw Aqueduct.
So while the low quality of racing in NY can be bet,that doesn't mean overall that it is a good thing for NY.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
1st time lasix

John and Aaron are absolutely right. Even at the DRF expo in Vegas ..... Litfin was shaking his head frustrated with the NY racing product at the Big A. It is flat terrible. Lousy animals, poor attendance, cold damp winter weather, terrible track. Of course most New Yorkers think the world revolves around them. Particularly their sports fans.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
Ron

Come on, is NY racing really low quality (compared to other states) or do they just have a problem maintaining consistency throughout the year?
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #11
alysheba88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
I don't recall anyone saying you can't make money betting Aqueduct. You can make money,but you cannot argue that from a standpoint of quality racing NY is at an all time low. I make money betting Laurel and this winter, I don't see that much difference between Laurel or NY.
Also, I guess other people have noticed,because if you look at attendance on a typical Saturday,I believe Buelah Park and many other tracks outdraw Aqueduct.
So while the low quality of racing in NY can be bet,that doesn't mean overall that it is a good thing for NY.
What does attendance have to do with anything?

And why didnt you bring up handle? Do you want to compare handle at Aqueduct and Laurel and Beulah?

Finally I see posts saying they wont bet Aqueduct- thats what I am referring to
Old 03-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
alysheba88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Come on, is NY racing really low quality (compared to other states) or do they just have a problem maintaining consistency throughout the year?
NY Racing is "really low quality compared to other states". What other states are you talking about?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
alysheba88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix
John and Aaron are absolutely right. Even at the DRF expo in Vegas ..... Litfin was shaking his head frustrated with the NY racing product at the Big A. It is flat terrible. Lousy animals, poor attendance, cold damp winter weather, terrible track. Of course most New Yorkers think the world revolves around them. Particularly their sports fans.
At least the true agenda's come out- the anti-NY bias.

And it is bias and I will tell you why.

People piss and moan all day about NY winter racing declining from years past. Well no kidding. That isnt really the argument. Do you think Southern Cal's racing is better than years past? In general race meets are of "lower quality" than in years past. But some of you seem to think this phenomena is solely in NY. All in all, when you still look at everything, from January -December NY racing does not need to take a back seat to any state in the country. Does that mean its like the "good old days"? No, thats another discussion. But people again seem to piling all of racings problems on NY's footstep. Look at the handle from NYRA races and compare to the rest of the country.

Yeah I know NYRA is responsible for "poor weather" as well. Everyone knows that
Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 AM   #14
misscashalot

I bet NYRA 12 months of the year. Forget about the quality factor. Even now, at its lowest point, it's better than Laurel or any other track of the right coast even Gulfstream. The bottom line is thars gold in them thar NYRA hills. TB racing is a $ game, the purists who talk about their disgust in the NY lack of quality have nothing better to do but knock NY...they should be cappin' instead of yappin'

misscashalot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #15
aaron

I think everyone is missing the point here. NY racing should be held to a higher accountability than other racing venues. If the tracks had been managed more efficently over the years we would not be having this discussion. Alysheba mentions handle,but a big problem facing NY racing is that they are not getting a fair return from the simulcasting sites for their signal.They sold their product to cheaply and have thus deluded the product.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply