Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-14-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

No thread on Rayshard Brooks?

Surely I'm missing it, right? I'll delete this when somebody tells me where to find it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
baconswitchfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Surely I'm missing it, right? I'll delete this when somebody tells me where to find it.

Maybe one big thread about people killed while resisting arrest or fighting the police would be more efficient.
baconswitchfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconswitchfarm View Post
Maybe one big thread about people killed while resisting arrest or fighting the police would be more efficient.
He was certainly resisting arrest. Watched the footage. Can't make the leap that he deserved to die.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
Greyfox

Yet another senseless death due to one idiot cop's over-reaction.
The Police have high stress jobs.
However, with so much recent attention to police brutality, one would have thought that any cop with half a brain would be even more careful than ever at drawing a gun.
Rayshard's death is unforgivable.
But let's not make the mistake of stereotyping all police as being as stupid and as savage as the one who shot him.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I say we just get rid of all the police and be done with it.

How's that?

We can all live like they do in CHAZ.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Yet another senseless death due to one idiot cop's over-reaction.
The Police have high stress jobs.
However, with so much recent attention to police brutality, one would have thought that any cop with half a brain would be even more careful than ever at drawing a gun.
Rayshard's death is unforgivable.
But let's not make the mistake of stereotyping all police as being as stupid and as savage as the one who shot him.
Amazing a cop would shoot someone under those circumstances given the current climate.

I'm certainly stereotyping police, the vast majority of cops are good. But guys like this get need to get weeded out. Many times the good ones know who the bad ones are but don't want to violate the code. That has to end. I have no idea if that was the case here of course. I'm sure we'll find out pretty soon.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #8
GMB@BP

Quote:
He was certainly resisting arrest. Watched the footage. Can't make the leap that he deserved to die.
maybe not, not a good idea to steal a weapon (as reported) and then start to aim at the police.

Note to self: never let my kids be a police officer. Feels like a lose lose proposition right now.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
maybe not, not a good idea to steal a weapon (as reported) and then start to aim at the police.

Note to self: never let my kids be a police officer. Feels like a lose lose proposition right now.
I thought he was running away, and it was a taser. The guy certainly isn't blameless here for sure. Still can't see killing him. Good timeline here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/u...ta-police.html

Going to be tough to defend shooting him IMO.

Last edited by cj; 06-14-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #10
lansdale

I, the Jury

How does a simple DUI bust escalate into a killing? The news story coverage linked below offers an edited version -- both cops' bodycam videos are available. When the cops pursue Brooks after he grabs the taser, he turns and stuns the lead cop with the taser, then the second cops kills him. Brooks used a non-lethal weapon on the cops. As cj asked, how does that justify the use of lethal force to subdue him? He was very drunk, as the bodycam videos made clear. They would have soon overtaken him on foot and could have tackled him. Even if he did get away and went home -- since, as he mentioned, he lived nearby -- they had his car and ID.

This kind of incident -- a cop killing a perp, who has resisted arrest and is running away, by shooting them in the back -- has become a very common sight in the past few years. I don't know the relevant Georgia statute, but the penalty for resisting arrest in many places is two years and/or a $5k fine. When did resisting arrest become a mortal crime? Anybody remember the old Mickey Spillane book "I, The Jury?"

The police chief of Atlanta has resigned and the cop who killed Brooks has been fired.

lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #11
GMB@BP

Quote:
I thought he was running away, and it was a taser. The guy certainly isn't blameless here for sure. Still can't see killing him. Good timeline here:

Thats why when I run into the cops I usually do what they ask, its a fear of getting shot (or at a minimum arrested). Works on me I guess.

Its stupid that they overreacted, I have no idea why they were so scared of a stinking taser.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #12
GMB@BP

Quote:

Do you know was it the cop whos taser was stolen that shot him, or was it the other cop......I say this when shit is happening very fast is it easy to know it was not the other officers fire arm that was taken?

Just trying to be fair to both sides.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Thats why when I run into the cops I usually do what they ask, its a fear of getting shot (or at a minimum arrested). Works on me I guess.

Its stupid that they overreacted, I have no idea why they were so scared of a stinking taser.
I do as well.

The taser was fired and he missed. How many shots do they have? I'm sure it sucks to get shot with one of those. In the end it doesn't matter. He didn't need to be killed. I can't even see that argument as reasonable on any level given this guys crimes.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Do you know was it the cop whos taser was stolen that shot him, or was it the other cop......I say this when shit is happening very fast is it easy to know it was not the other officers fire arm that was taken?

Just trying to be fair to both sides.
No, it was a different cop. But once Brooks fired it at him, he had to know it wasn't a gun.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
woodbinepmi

This has been the worse year, this is what it must have felt like in the States in late 60's. I was way too young to remember, but we had it real bad in the early 70's in Montreal with the FLQ.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: