Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 08-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #16
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper View Post
Do you know which operating system you are using?

If so, please let us know what it is.
Windows 10.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:00 PM   #17
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I have found the video link to be of no help at all. It starts with a screen which seems to be several layers deep.
Okay. Did it occur to you to search for another video that starts from scratch among the countless videos on how to change permissions in Windows 10?

Here is a video on changing permissions that even the most clueless newbie should be able to understand:

Of course the first step that is shown in the video is clicking on a file manager icon on the task bar.

Quote:
I have no idea what the taskbar is.
Did it occur to you to do a web search to learn what is the taskbar? If that idea had occurred to you and if you had then searched from the taskbar to see if LibreOffice was present (or not) on your system, your problem might have been solved by now.

You should be able to follow the above link and confirm if you have a taskbar. You do have a taskbar, correct?

If so, you can use the search function on the taskbar (the circle and the fill-able area to the right of the circle, also called "Cortana") to see if LibreOffice is absent from your system or where it should be.

If you know how to navigate your computer with a file manager (fundamental computer literacy), you should find LibreOffice at C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice.exe. An easy web search shows that the file manager that ships with Windows 10 is "File Explorer." File Explorer can be opened numerous ways.

If you don't find LibreOffice at C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice.exe, that would explain why your shortcut isn't working.

This video explains a couple of different ways to find programs, including clicking on the File Explorer icon on the taskbar (and then clicking on a program to start it):

Quote:
I am unable to start LibreOffice at all. At least not on this machine.
You must mean that you just can't start LibreOffice with its shortcut, as you have not mentioned trying any other means to do so and as you seem clueless.

If you can find LibreOffice with File Explorer, you should be able to start it thereby clicking on it. If you find it and it starts, you should be able to also create a new desktop shortcut for it by right clicking on the program and then clicking on "Send To" and then clicking on "Desktop (create shortcut)."

If you can't find LibreOffice, you need to reinstall it.

Here is another video on a different method for creating a shortcut:

Here is a video that reiterates the process of creating a shortcut by clicking on the File Explorer icon on the taskbar:

Again, if you can't find LibreOffice, you will have to reinstall it. If you do find LibreOffice in the one of the two "Program Files" folders, then you will likely need to change the permissions of the LibreOffice folder and of each file and folder it contains.

If none of these methods work, perhaps you should take advice that is often suggested here and do a "system restore," or reformat and reinstall Windows... or just buy a completely new computer. Of course, such drastic measures require that you back-up all of your data before you take any such action.

This will likely be my last post in this thread, as the laggard "yeps," "nopes" and "I don't knows" make it laborious to find a solution to your problem, .

Good luck!

Last edited by tupper; 08-08-2020 at 08:06 PM.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #18
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
I am presently using two computers, one connected to the internet and one not connected to the internet. The idea is limit exposure to viruses and hacking. If an application does not require connection to the internet then I have that application on my non-internet computer.

I have LibreOffice on my non-internet computer. LibreOffice is a workalike similar to Microsoft Office. I downloaded LibreOffice onto my internet computer, scanned it for viruses, copied it to a pin drive, then transferred it to my non-internet computer.

This worked well until a few months ago. Then I started getting a message when I tried to access LibreOffice stating that I do not have the required permission. Looking farther into it it seems that what I do not have permission for is access to some folder, I do not know which folder.

It's as though the computer has a virus but I don't see how that's possible.

I have considered getting Microsoft Office but, in addition to being expensive (LibreOffice is free), I understand that MS Office requires a constant internet connection, which I am trying to avoid.
Prior to retiring back April, 2016 I decided to get MS office from their cloud site. Onedrive.live.com. It was something like $120-140 one time, no recurring monthly charges. It's worked great, and had everything that I'm familiar with. It's called Microsoft 365 personal. This plan only has 5GB of storage. The premium plan has 1 TB for 6.99/month.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: