Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:06 AM   #2251
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #2252
SBD400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
It’s insanity that the people who hear the appeal are the people who made the egregious decision to begin with. What a clown show this whole thing is.
SBD400 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 08:58 AM   #2253
paulbenny

Thanks
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 09:17 AM   #2254
Andy Asaro

Old 12-18-2023, 10:58 AM   #2255
Sheffwed

let's just say

Quote:
it was the late 1980s, but the only time I ever got a real tip, it was from someone connected with a NYRA steward, I won't say who or how connected, but the horse was 7-1 at Saratoga, didn't figure on paper, and won for fun, and I never heard another word from that person the rest of my life

I'm also entertained at times by Larry Rolla's Youtube videos

yes, these things were a while ago, but yeah

Last edited by Sheffwed; 12-18-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 12:27 PM   #2256
ScottJ

Quote:
When trusted names on the NYRA Circuit like Tom Morley and Maggie Wolfendale are calling out the steward's decision-making and the internal appeals process, both on television and social media, you have to know that something is completely FUBAR.

You have to believe that these issues are now costing NYRA on the bottom line with overall handle being impacted. One has to hope that Dave O'Rourke is at very least orchestrating a swift internal review to decide the next actions by NYRA. Certainly, the NYRA appointed Brook Hawkins should be asked for an accounting immediately.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 12:51 PM   #2257
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesor View Post
And where is NYRA in all of this, the silence is deafening. Their product is being harmed by incompetent stewards

The Company man TLG hasn't come in here to defend the corrupt NYRA stewards yet that tells a lot by itself
For its part, NYRA will not conduct any review or take action against the stewards in the court of public opinion. I would be relatively sure that handle drops can be seen when examining the data after situations such as Saturday's Race 9. So, there has to be a negative business impact being felt.

Second, Andy has on many more than one occasion criticized the steward decision making processes and outcomes on the national broadcast with the same gob-smacked look that many of us have at this point. He is not an ombudsman for the wagering public on NYRA races, but is an important individual in reflecting the public pulse into NYRA Management. Sure, he has not been posting on this thread, but what could he possibly say that would be impactful from inside the NYRA walls right now?

Third and last, a brief thought on using the word "corrupt". I, for one, sincerely hope that this is just an idle phrase being used during an internet warrior rampage. Certainly Baeza has had more than his share of indictments over time related to sports contest tampering and by many is the target of the word. (See : https://ur.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/f...ment_Final.pdf) If ever there was a group that needed to rise above the questioned fray, it is the current set of stewards.

By my count, Baeza who was 67 in 2007 when these weigh-in violations were flagged would be 83 now. It is time for a change to restore confidence in the steward's stand once more. Unfortunately, everyone is tainted here, painted with the same broad brush. As a result, all must go in my view.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:54 PM   #2258
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
For its part, NYRA will not conduct any review or take action against the stewards in the court of public opinion. I would be relatively sure that handle drops can be seen when examining the data after situations such as Saturday's Race 9. So, there has to be a negative business impact being felt.

Second, Andy has on many more than one occasion criticized the steward decision making processes and outcomes on the national broadcast with the same gob-smacked look that many of us have at this point. He is not an ombudsman for the wagering public on NYRA races, but is an important individual in reflecting the public pulse into NYRA Management. Sure, he has not been posting on this thread, but what could he possibly say that would be impactful from inside the NYRA walls right now?

Third and last, a brief thought on using the word "corrupt". I, for one, sincerely hope that this is just an idle phrase being used during an internet warrior rampage. Certainly Baeza has had more than his share of indictments over time related to sports contest tampering and by many is the target of the word. (See : https://ur.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/f...ment_Final.pdf) If ever there was a group that needed to rise above the questioned fray, it is the current set of stewards.

By my count, Baeza who was 67 in 2007 when these weigh-in violations were flagged would be 83 now. It is time for a change to restore confidence in the steward's stand once more. Unfortunately, everyone is tainted here, painted with the same broad brush. As a result, all must go in my view.
Scott, that was Braulio's father.

Only a slightly worse error than responding to some clown that can't even spell his board name correctly ( along with the irony of it suggesting he's a high level teacher ).
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 01:04 PM   #2259
Andy Asaro

Old 12-18-2023, 01:16 PM   #2260
Andy Asaro

Old 12-18-2023, 01:19 PM   #2261
Andy Asaro

Old 12-18-2023, 01:27 PM   #2262
Andy Asaro

Old 12-18-2023, 01:28 PM   #2263
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Hopefully something good comes from this mess. Maybe it is the system (3 stewards from three different organizations), maybe it is the people. But it stinks and this is far from an isolated incident. It just happens to be more egregious than most.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 01:42 PM   #2264
Andy Asaro

Old 12-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #2265
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Scott, that was Braulio's father.
Andy, that was a terrible error on my part and thank you for that correction on the facts. I should have realized that one angle of the "corruption" comment was a father-to-son allusion if even that.

Also, this debate is surely just about the last thing on your list of vacation-away-from-NYRA things to do list. So, thanks for engaging as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Only a slightly worse error than responding to some clown that can't even spell his board name correctly ( along with the irony of it suggesting he's a high level teacher ).
The "profesor" thing stands on its own given my line of work.

You know the message board's sentiment screams of lost confidence in the stewards. What recourse does the public have in these situations when the ownership, trainers, and media themselves are swept aside? Aside from writing to the NYSGC and more, can the situation get reviewed?

Which begs another question : does anyone think things are broken?