Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 02-16-2024, 10:13 AM   #1
zico20

Sunland Derby

This race is on Sunday and offers 20 points to the winner. For the one or two of you out there who prefer more predictable races like me then this is for you!

I love the Stronghold over the and that is all. I am leaning more to the for second over the but it could go either way. The has the edge over the to round out the super and the should be up the track.

So I am looking at for the super for the big ticket and the 4 and 8 flipped for a slightly smaller ticket and then throw the in for fourth for the savers. Could Stronghold lose to either of those two? Sure, it is horse racing but he looks awfully hard to beat. Those punch it to the bell rings rarely run like they should so lets hope this one does.

Last edited by zico20; 02-16-2024 at 10:18 AM.
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2024, 02:10 PM   #2
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
I love the Stronghold over the and that is all. I am leaning more to the for second over the but it could go either way. The has the edge over the to round out the super and the should be up the track.
He's never shipped to Sunland in the past 5 years, so no track record there - but I'd note that Phil D'Amato has a pretty ugly record shipping anywhere other than Keeneland or Oaklawn. Wynstock also didn't flatter Stronghold with his performance in the Southwest.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2024, 02:46 PM   #3
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
He's never shipped to Sunland in the past 5 years, so no track record there - but I'd note that Phil D'Amato has a pretty ugly record shipping anywhere other than Keeneland or Oaklawn. Wynstock also didn't flatter Stronghold with his performance in the Southwest.
If you recall what I wrote about Wynstock I said does he need the lead or was the stretch out that made the huge improvement and we found out in the Southwest that he is a need the lead horse and he didn't get real close to the front and he caved as expected. Also, out of his first four races the worst was on the off track which is what he got in the Southwest. He never looked like he was comfortable before he fell apart so his performance doesn't change anything here with Stronghold.

D'Amato shipping record is 16% win compared to his overall win percentage of 17% so that isn't that bad. What tracks does he tank at? If it is Golden Gate well that is synthetic so that wouldn't concern me and the east coast doesn't worry me either. Stronghold shipped from CD to Delmar and ran huge!

Last edited by zico20; 02-16-2024 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:10 AM   #4
PalaceOfFortLarned

Not the greatest Derby prep, but it has had its moments.

Firing Line was a damn good horse that was sent here before the Kentucky Derby to avoid Dortmund who romped in the Santa Anita Derby, while American Pharoah was frolicking in Arkansas. Race was ran in late March back then. He ran a bang up 2nd in the Kentucky Derby that year giving all-star American Pharoah everything he had.

Then we also have the amazing story of Mine That Bird. He could only muster a 4th place finish in this one before his story book miraculous Derby win 16 years ago. (Holy shit does time fly )

Well times have changed, and this one shows up much earlier on the calendar. The winner will get 20 points here, so a win here and a solid placing in another could get someone in the gate come the first Saturday in May.

No Trouble: Was beat by the first out, but came back with a nice win last out on this track. Sure, his figs maybe don't fit, but trainer is 1 for 1 in Graded Stakes with a +70.80 ROI . Not like he is running against a bunch of world beaters in here as he stretches out. Interesting price play.

Surroundedbyangels: $5K purchase has likely already exceeded expectations while already banking $26.8K in his first 2 career starts. Jockey/Trainer angle is solid, but he got absolutely dusted by a couple of others in here. Tough to see getting it done today.

Curlin's Kaos: By Clubhouse Ride that is by Candy Ride and obviously the influence of Curlin on the bottom is quite interesting. Has ran 4 decent races thus far, but is he simply a turf horse? Would love for a pace meltdown, and he may well get it.

Lucky Jeremy: Won the previous prep here at Sunland while rolling in from Churchill. 3 pretty solid races to start his career. Looked good late last out going a mile, but still have to question whether he really is a 2 turn horse. The 2 works after his last are troubling. Gotta let this one beat me.

Stronghold: Likely favorite that was 'only' beat by 9 lengths by Nysos. Came back in his next to only give it up late to Wynstock who tanked in the Southwest Stakes earlier this year. Not completely sold he'll get it done.

Alotofluck: Most certainly does need some luck as he does his best work on the front end and faces many faster in here. Trainer is a solid 6(1-1-2) this meet but jockey is still 0fer. Mixed signals for me, but the price should be right.

Da Ringo: 7 career starts to date, and was a mere 22 lengths back in the previous prep. A career best might not even get him in the Super.

Informed Patriot: Asmussen invader has certainly ran against tougher. While he has clunked along and ran some nice races, he is still 1 for 5 to date, and is not a strong finisher. Add in Rosario on board, and you simply aren't going to get a square price on this one.

Not a big or deep field, but they all have question marks. Interesting puzzle to figure out.

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 02-18-2024 at 09:16 AM.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2024, 05:52 PM   #5
PalaceOfFortLarned

Rosario with 4 straight wins looking to sweep the Stakes card at Sunland.

Not gonna get any kind price on the
Old 02-18-2024, 05:57 PM   #6
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Rosario with 4 straight wins looking to sweep the Stakes card at Sunland.

Not gonna get any kind price on the
I hope the eight gets bet hard! I made my biggest bet of the year, I put 400 into the race. First time pounding a super in three months! Thanks for your input of the race. Still think the wins this easily.
Old 02-18-2024, 06:15 PM   #7
PalaceOfFortLarned

On this

WP
//ALL
Old 02-18-2024, 06:27 PM   #8
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
This race is on Sunday and offers 20 points to the winner. For the one or two of you out there who prefer more predictable races like me then this is for you!

So I am looking at for the super for the big ticket and the 4 and 8 flipped for a slightly smaller ticket and then throw the in for fourth for the savers. Could Stronghold lose to either of those two? Sure, it is horse racing but he looks awfully hard to beat. Those punch it to the bell rings rarely run like they should so lets hope this one does.

Top notch capping Zico.

Excellently done.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:02 PM   #9
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Top notch capping Zico.

Excellently done.
Thank you buddy, much appreciated. I will never learn! 80% of the time my 5th horse runs in the super, usually 3rd or 4th. You would think after betting the horses for almost 50 years I would change my betting, nope not me! I am such an idiot! Why I can't play the 100 straight super with the 5th horse I don't know, it has cost me making easily over a 100,000 in my lifetime. I RARELY ever hit my big ticket but I hit the savers all the time. The saver is meant to get at the minimum my money back but usually I bet so I at least double my money if it hits. On rare occasions like this race it paid way more than I thought. I was guessing 200 tops, stunned it paid 436.

90% of the time I put one horse on top of my selection as a back up in case he gets beat by my second choice, didn't do that here today for some reason, just loved the

All 400 dollars was on the to win. I said I liked the as my second choice and I keyed him 2nd and 3rd on every ticket. The more I looked at the the less I liked him for 2nd. He just can't close! I NEVER go with just four horses in the super when I play huge straight tickets because needing all four to run just is difficult. So now you know how I play straight supers, I have been doing it like this for over 25 years.

Because you were so kind to handicap the race for me which you didn't have to do, and yes I very much appreciate that, this is what I bet on the race.

Here is how my 400 broke down!

120 supers 5-4-6-8 and 5-4-8-6
60 supers 5-6-4-8 and 5-8-4-6

10 supers 5-4-6-3; 5-4-8-3; 5-6-4-3; 5-8-4-3

Last edited by zico20; 02-18-2024 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:59 AM   #10
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Thank you buddy, much appreciated. I will never learn! 80% of the time my 5th horse runs in the super, usually 3rd or 4th. You would think after betting the horses for almost 50 years I would change my betting, nope not me! I am such an idiot! Why I can't play the 100 straight super with the 5th horse I don't know, it has cost me making easily over a 100,000 in my lifetime. I RARELY ever hit my big ticket but I hit the savers all the time. The saver is meant to get at the minimum my money back but usually I bet so I at least double my money if it hits. On rare occasions like this race it paid way more than I thought. I was guessing 200 tops, stunned it paid 436.

90% of the time I put one horse on top of my selection as a back up in case he gets beat by my second choice, didn't do that here today for some reason, just loved the

All 400 dollars was on the to win. I said I liked the as my second choice and I keyed him 2nd and 3rd on every ticket. The more I looked at the the less I liked him for 2nd. He just can't close! I NEVER go with just four horses in the super when I play huge straight tickets because needing all four to run just is difficult. So now you know how I play straight supers, I have been doing it like this for over 25 years.

Because you were so kind to handicap the race for me which you didn't have to do, and yes I very much appreciate that, this is what I bet on the race.

Here is how my 400 broke down!

120 supers 5-4-6-8 and 5-4-8-6
60 supers 5-6-4-8 and 5-8-4-6

10 supers 5-4-6-3; 5-4-8-3; 5-6-4-3; 5-8-4-3
We all feel your pain.

Handicapping is but 10% of the game, and the actual betting is 90%. You can have a race completely pegged, but just not wager correctly.

Reminds me of the 2018 Kentucky Derby. Justify, Audible, and Good Magic were undoubtedly my top 3 and I really liked Instilled Regard to pick up the pieces on the back end to finish the Super as all the others would be flat giving up.

I was so boneheaded and determined that I had to beat Justify that I didn't cash a single ticket. Had the race almost perfectly handicapped, but wagered like a 3 year old.