Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
dilanesp

anyone else getting excited about the BC?

I still wish it were at Santa Anita and not Del Mar, but I got a nice hotel room in San Diego and can't wait to be there.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I still wish it were at Santa Anita and not Del Mar, but I got a nice hotel room in San Diego and can't wait to be there.
I am, really looking forward to it. Enjoyed Santa Anita last year even with nightmare parking lot. Staying in walking distance this year, should be a blast.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
LemonSoupKid

I'll be there

I'm getting a Breeder's (Sprint) tickets, should be fun.

Which are your favorite races?

I've tried to find the wagering menu, they don't have a proper page for it.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I am, really looking forward to it. Enjoyed Santa Anita last year even with nightmare parking lot. Staying in walking distance this year, should be a blast.
You know, I didn't hate the parking last year, but that's because I remember going to the Santa Anita Handicap in the 1980's (they had something like 85,000 at the track in 1985!) so I remember when it was worse.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
You know, I didn't hate the parking last year, but that's because I remember going to the Santa Anita Handicap in the 1980's (they had something like 85,000 at the track in 1985!) so I remember when it was worse.
I went in 2009 and had no trouble parking.

In 2012 it was a nightmare.

Not sure what changed.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
I'm getting a Breeder's (Sprint) tickets, should be fun.

Which are your favorite races?

I've tried to find the wagering menu, they don't have a proper page for it.
I don't think the wagering menu is out yet-I searched for it. I know they are doing a regular pick 6 no jackpot wager at Del Mar-which makes sense.

I like the ladies classic the best. With Inside Information passing that brought up a lot of memories. Still can't believe I lost on Heavenly Prize vs One Dreamer and would have lost again the next year but she was coupled w/Inside Information. I will go to my grave thinking she was the best filly at that time.

I was at the Tiznow vs Giants Causeway throwdown at CD. I was 4th row by the 1/16 pole. I was live in the pick 3 to both of them and they ran like a team down the stretch. The crowd was roaring. Being there w/my now deceased dad is something I will never forget.

Thats why I love horse racing!!
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Parkview_Pirate

IMHO, the two day format and more divisions has watered down the effect of "Championship" day, but there will still be some good racing. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I've had my biggest winning BC days at Belmont and SA, but will keep an open mind for Del Mar. Hope the BC never returns to Arlington, Woodbine or Lone Star....those events I got crushed, spindled and mutilated.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #8
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
IMHO, the two day format and more divisions has watered down the effect of "Championship" day, but there will still be some good racing. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I've had my biggest winning BC days at Belmont and SA, but will keep an open mind for Del Mar. Hope the BC never returns to Arlington, Woodbine or Lone Star....those events I got crushed, spindled and mutilated.
This. Plus this year is anti-climatic in some ways with favorite horses going out or not running at top form or ready for top form (Unique Bella) by BC time. I'll watch but as has been the case since they added the nonsense races, I only care about and consider the winners of the original 7 plus F&M Turf to really be BC champs.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #9
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
I don't think the wagering menu is out yet-I searched for it. I know they are doing a regular pick 6 no jackpot wager at Del Mar-which makes sense.

I like the ladies classic the best. With Inside Information passing that brought up a lot of memories. Still can't believe I lost on Heavenly Prize vs One Dreamer and would have lost again the next year but she was coupled w/Inside Information. I will go to my grave thinking she was the best filly at that time.

I was at the Tiznow vs Giants Causeway throwdown at CD. I was 4th row by the 1/16 pole. I was live in the pick 3 to both of them and they ran like a team down the stretch. The crowd was roaring. Being there w/my now deceased dad is something I will never forget.

Thats why I love horse racing!!
Funny, I was there at CD in 2000 with my dad at the 1/4 probably, too. I recall a guy next to us who was live on (just) Giants Causeway for a big payout, I believe the P4. I didn't play the wagers a lot (or big) back then so only now that I've played, lost and won a lot of them, I know how brutal getting that close to a big score can be.

I go with my dad nearly ever year now, we've hit I think 3 SA, Keeneland, and this will be the first time either of us has been to Del Mar.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #10
BrentT

Always some great races, and great payouts. Just got to pick em right in the big payoff races
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentT View Post
Always some great races, and great payouts. Just got to pick em right in the big payoff races
Looking forward to the BC Sprint.

I'm wondering how big the track will factor in, seems like Arrogate has had a heck of a time getting used to it down there. A lot of the horses will not have ever run there (I think) either.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
Funny, I was there at CD in 2000 with my dad at the 1/4 probably, too. I recall a guy next to us who was live on (just) Giants Causeway for a big payout, I believe the P4. I didn't play the wagers a lot (or big) back then so only now that I've played, lost and won a lot of them, I know how brutal getting that close to a big score can be.

I go with my dad nearly ever year now, we've hit I think 3 SA, Keeneland, and this will be the first time either of us has been to Del Mar.
you will have a great time!
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #13
MonmouthParkJoe

Looking forward to it big time. My two favorite days of the year, along with Belmont Stakes Day. I will be at the Borgata for both days this year. Debated going to Delmar but cant get away that long with work, but I will go next year.

Word on the street is similar wagering format as prior years. Really wish they had a late pick 5, esp with the better races that come later. Leaves much to be desired.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #14
CincyHorseplayer

I am definitely excited! I would say I am apprehensive about the location switch within the state as I have done well at the BC at Santa Anita. But overall I have been a better player at Del Mar. I understand the general nature of the track and how it applies to handicapping. So I am highly enthusiastic! This should be a fun ride! Good luck!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2017, 02:05 AM   #15
plainolebill

I'm more excited than I thought I might be, the Classic looks like it may come up real strong and possibly a good betting race.

I'm looking forward to the Juvenile too, the guy that trains the favorite, Mick Ruis bought and trains a bunch of horses and is doing pretty well.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply