Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-23-2015, 12:41 AM   #61
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Yes, indeed. And I'm sure they don't begrudge Brady his fame, success, massive income or super-model spouse one bit. At all.

Seattle wins, by the way.
The tv airwaves are filled with NFL apologists, if a commentator thought it was "no big deal" they would have said so since its in an ex NFL players best interest if people think the game is on the up and up.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 12:57 AM   #62
Robert Fischer
clean money

something to talk about
Old 01-23-2015, 04:01 AM   #63
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Yes, people are betting the Pats and the game like this is NOT the WWF (or whatever its called these days)

I don't know if the Hawks are a good bet, but geez, you really gotta be careful betting on these Pats...if they just don't implode on their own, you have the issue that the league might "punish" them in the game......
To the contrary, they're likely laughing in their sleep and will be more determined than ever to kick Seattle's ass. Perhaps the distraction is hurting the Seahawks, if it really matters to any of them.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 04:02 AM   #64
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Many high profile ex NFLers disagree with this.
They're jealous of Brady and the attention he's getting.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 04:16 AM   #65
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
They're jealous of Brady and the attention he's getting.
They're not jealous of brady, their ego is too big for that. As far as attention goes, being called a cheater is not exactly the type of attention people want.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #66
mountainman

Quote:
They're not jealous of brady, their ego is too big for that.
A large ego precludes envy?? Are you serious, Sigmund? Quite to the contrary, lots of ex-ballers now doing commentary strike me as contemptuous of Brady. Here's a can of worms that should stimulate brisk response: How many black commentators hastened to bury him earlier this season and remain oddly muffled about giving the man his due???

And, please, don't fly in with examples of white commentators that have knocked Brady, or black ones that have supported him. All I'm saying is that a racial component-that cuts BOTH ways- does exist in nfl commentary. And the golden boy is a prime target of racially motivated enmity. After all, they don't COME more caucasian than Tom Brady.

And, by the way, I detest Tom Brady for his sneering arrogance and fake public persona. And I think he had the balls doctored. I just find it a crime of miniscule proportion.

NOW the fun should begin......

Last edited by mountainman; 01-23-2015 at 07:12 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #67
sammy the sage

Quote:
A large ego precludes envy?? Are you serious, Sigmund? Quite to the contrary, lots of ex-ballers now doing commentary strike me as contemptuous of Brady. Here's a can of worms that should stimulate brisk response: How many black commentators hastened to bury him earlier this season and remain oddly muffled about giving the man his due???

And, please, don't fly in with examples of white commentators that have knocked Brady, or black ones that have supported him. All I'm saying is that a racial component-that cuts BOTH ways- does exist in nfl commentary. And the golden boy is a prime target of racially motivated enmity. After all, they don't COME more caucasian than Tom Brady.

And, by the way, I detest Tom Brady for his sneering arrogance and fake public persona. And I think he had the balls doctored. I just find it a crime of miniscule proportion.

this is SO true!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #68
lamboguy

this game is no different than the world wrestling federation, horse racing or politics. human beings will take any advantage they can find. i did't say its right by any means, but face it, humans are very light on the conscience department.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #69
newtothegame

Quote:

So, serious question here....
Since you think cheating is miniscule.....
How about a man grabbing himself after he scores? Personally, I think it was disgusting and very un sportsman like but, your opinion? The NFL fined M. Lynch 20 Large for it. If the NFL thinks grabbing ones self is worth 20 large, then breaking rules (cheating).....what does that warrant???
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #70
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame
So, serious question here....
Since you think cheating is miniscule.....
How about a man grabbing himself after he scores? Personally, I think it was disgusting and very un sportsman like but, your opinion? The NFL fined M. Lynch 20 Large for it. If the NFL thinks grabbing ones self is worth 20 large, then breaking rules (cheating).....what does that warrant???
First off, I don't equate one incident with the other. Punishable offenses vary greatly. And I certainly don't consider ALL cheating to be miniscule in nature. So please, don't speak for me, sir. I can do that just fine on my own.

But you do pose an interesting question. And in response I would say that the nfl's prime concern in BOTH cases is its public image. And if Brady is proven culpable, he can expect a hefty fine.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #71
Teach

So, we're gonna get Freudian. "The Father of Psychoanalysis" said when we were born that all of us are "id-like" creatures. If the "id" could speak it would say: "I want what I want when I want it!" Selfish, grasping, impulsive. Well, many of us, a year or two after birth, begin to develop "ego". We begin to understand that there are other people around us that have needs as well, e.g., parents, siblings, etc. We also begin to realize that we should act rationally. Sensibly. That our actions have consequences. And also, later, the "superego" which is the strict, harsh part of our personality. Demanding. It is the overbearing "parent" within us. The Ten Commandments. "Thou shalt not..."

What does this all have to do with "deflate-gate"? Just about everything. People and professional sports teams and players can set good examples, but they can also set bad examples. It calls into attention their integrity. Although not perfect, players and professional sports teams should act as role models. That's an image that Robert Kraft and his late wife, Myra, tried to present here in New England....and I believe, for the most part, they did that successfully over the years. However, the footballs didn't just deflate themselves. The human element had to be a part of that process. Someone gave the order.

Well, with the SB a little over a week away, I still believe that this will continue to be a huge distraction. The Patriots wil soon be leaving for Phoenix, but they won't escape the media scrutiny. In fact, it'll probably only intensify. Try as they might, the team cannot escape this. Will it effect their performance on the field? I believe so!

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #72
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

So, the NFL hasn't even asked Brady about it yet

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/most-tr...234447768.html
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #73
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach
So, we're gonna get Freudian. "The Father of Psychoanalysis" said when we were born that all of us are "id-like" creatures. If the "id" could speak it would say: "I want what I want when I want it!" Selfish, grasping, impulsive. Well, many of us, a year or two after birth, begin to develop "ego". We begin to understand that there are other people around us that have needs as well, e.g., parents, siblings, etc. We also begin to realize that we should act rationally. Sensibly. That our actions have consequences. And also, later, the "superego" which is the strict, harsh part of our personality. Demanding. It is the overbearing "parent" within us. The Ten Commandments. "Thou shalt not..."

What does this all have to do with "deflate-gate"? Just about everything. People and professional sports teams and players can set good examples, but they can also set bad examples. It calls into attention their integrity. Although not perfect, players and professional sports teams should act as role models. That's an image that Robert Kraft and his late wife, Myra, tried to present here in New England....and I believe, for the most part, they did that successfully over the years. However, the footballs didn't just deflate themselves. The human element had to be a part of that process. Someone gave the order.

Well, with the SB a little over a week away, I still believe that this will continue to be a huge distraction. The Patriots wil soon be leaving for Phoenix, but they won't escape the media scrutiny. In fact, it'll probably only intensify. Try as they might, the team cannot escape this. Will it effect their performance on the field? I believe so!
Good stuff. And I agree this fiasco will effect the pat's performance. It will serve as a powerful motivator.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #74
lamboguy

there is plenty of talk that Al Sharpton bet on New Englang against the Colts because the owner Kraft invited secretary of state Kerry to sit with him during the game. obviously Kerry received secret service clearance so that he go go where the balls were kept so that they could be deflated to insure Sharpton a winning bet that day.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #75
Teach

Hey, at 72-years-old, I've had deflated balls for years. Sometimes my wife has trouble finding them. Maybe Bill Belichick and/or Tom Brady can help me with my problem. If they can deflate them, they certainly must be able to inflate them.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply