Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #61
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

AllDataBase version update

Harry has sent me an update for AllDataBase, "AllDataBase_v3a". Please go to the AllData website and download it. We were having some error message issues due to a filter setting I had made and failed to clear before uploading the last version. I was filtering on "PEN" on the row directly below the main filter area, which meant that the query macro looked for only races from Penn National, if there were none then the error message was activated, "Copy and paste areas not the same size or shape". The new version has been set back to default values and PEN data erased, so that error shouldn't be a problem now.

We also had some problems with the naming of the 2 data folders for both workbooks, and the entering of the 2 "file folder paths" for those folders, in both workbooks. Just remember that you can name your folders anything you like, but, when you name them, DO NOT include the ending "\" in the folder name. However, when you enter the "file folder paths", in both workbooks, the ending "\" MUST BE included.

The default folder names, on your computer's "C" drive, are:

tsn1
tsnresults1

The default "file folder paths", in both workbooks, are:

C:\tsn1\
C:\tsnresults1\

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #62
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

updated version for Excel 2007

I have uploaded, to my website, an updated version of AllDataBase that runs in Excel 2007, as well as pre-2007 versions.

Pre-2007 users can download it and run it in it's .xls format, as is.

Excel 2007 users have the option to open it in 2007 and run it in .xls "Compatibility Mode". or, they can open it as .xls, then do a "Save as" and save it as .xlsm or .xlsb format, and take advantage of Excel 2007's increased limits and power.

Either way, it runs fine. Harry has fixed a few minor bugs in this new version also, so, the download is recommended.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #63
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

"Daily Play" bugs fixed in AllDataBase

I've uploaded the latest version of AllDataBase, for all versions of Excel.

This update fixes the known bugs in the "Daily Play" method, which allows you to recall your models developed through research in AllDataBase, and use those models to spot plays for daily play, so you can actually use AllDataBase in handicapping races.

So, go to "AlldataExcel.weebly.com", click the "AllDataBase" tab, scroll down below the instructions and click the download.

Last edited by raybo; 12-30-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #64
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Go to my site, in the "AllData" forum, "AllDataBase" subforum, and you'll find a MS Word document that ought to get you started with AllDataBase, and might get you thinking , as well!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #65
cklv

The word document I found was very helpful. I do have a question or two, on page 7 the text mentioned the factor BestL2 Comp2 returned a ROI of 45.9%, the top rank horse mentioned had an average of 8.1 for this facor. It looked to me that this should be 7.5 if I am reading the top column correctly. Is that correct?

Regarding a general question, I didn't understand the meaing of the 3 groups of numbers under each filter factor. What does the statement "winners' average ranking for each factor" mean. What is included in the average. For example, let's take the BestL2 Comp2 factor with the updated filters in the example, does that mean the horse with the best Best2 Comp 2 factor historically wins 28.8% of the time and retuned a 45.9% ROI.

This is a work in process for me. I was able to create the zzoutput files ok but had some problems with the all data model. When I tried to analyse, I got the debug message. I am going to retrace my steps using the new word docs and I think I can work it out. I need to say that I am enjoying every second I have the time to work on this. I hope to add some value to the team once I master your work of art.

Charles
cklv is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #66
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklv
The word document I found was very helpful. I do have a question or two, on page 7 the text mentioned the factor BestL2 Comp2 returned a ROI of 45.9%, the top rank horse mentioned had an average of 8.1 for this facor. It looked to me that this should be 7.5 if I am reading the top column correctly. Is that correct?

Regarding a general question, I didn't understand the meaing of the 3 groups of numbers under each filter factor. What does the statement "winners' average ranking for each factor" mean. What is included in the average. For example, let's take the BestL2 Comp2 factor with the updated filters in the example, does that mean the horse with the best Best2 Comp 2 factor historically wins 28.8% of the time and retuned a 45.9% ROI.

This is a work in process for me. I was able to create the zzoutput files ok but had some problems with the all data model. When I tried to analyse, I got the debug message. I am going to retrace my steps using the new word docs and I think I can work it out. I need to say that I am enjoying every second I have the time to work on this. I hope to add some value to the team once I master your work of art.

Charles
My mistake, you are correct, I was looking at "Best L2 Comp", instead of "Best L2 Comp2".

Quote:
Regarding a general question, I didn't understand the meaing of the 3 groups of numbers under each filter factor. What does the statement "winners' average ranking for each factor" mean.
When you filter a factor, all the horses in that sample are looked at. The stats for the top 5 ranked horses, in each factor, are returned, in the middle and bottom groups, in the "Analyze Utility". The top group, of 5 numbers, shows the average ranking that each of the top 5 finishers had for that factor. So, the top number would be the average ranking, in that factor, for all the winners in all the races in the sample. The 2nd to top number, in that factor, would be the average ranking for all the place horses, in all those races, etc..

Quote:
does that mean the horse with the best Best2 Comp 2 factor historically wins 28.8% of the time and retuned a 45.9% ROI.
Yes. In the middle group and bottom group of numbers, you are seeing the top ranked horses for each factor, not the top finishers.

Quote:
When I tried to analyse, I got the debug message.
There can be several reasons for getting the dreaded "copy and paste areas are not the same size or shape" error message. But, in my experience so far, this message pops up when you have query settings that do not return any plays, in other words you have asked the database to return data for plays and there are none found. Try opening up your factor settings slightly and see if that helps. If you continue to have the error, then it's something else causing that and I would, at that time, ask you to zip the workbook, as it is, and send it to me so I can run it myself and find the problem.

I'm glad you're enjoying, experimenting with the database, it can be a lot of fun! And, sometimes you'll learn things that you never would have believed.

I will edit the "Step 1" document so that my meanings are clearer.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #67
mikesal57
Veteran

Raybo..

I get this when I open up all data...

happens in win 7 32 bit and win xp..

macros and active x is enabled...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (31.7 KB, 318 views)
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #68
hcap

Possible answer..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282847

Quote:
When you open files that contain these programmability-related objects, the objects are removed, and you receive the following warning:

This workbook has lost its VBA Project, ActiveX Controls and any other programmability-related features.
If you disable Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) and run Microsoft Excel, several Excel features in the following categories are unavailable:

* VBA Projects, XLM Macro Code, and ActiveX Controls
* Uncompiled Add-ins (.xla files)
* Menu Items, Toolbar Buttons and Shortcut Keys related to VBA

Note You can disable VBA in two ways:

* By setting its installation setting to Not Available when you install Excel.
* By using the Disable VBA for Office Applications system policy.

http://forums.techarena.in/operating...ms/1152398.htm

If you get this error because during the installation of MS Office 2007, "Visual Basic for Application" was not installed, try this

Change your installation of MS Office.

1. Close Excel if it is open.
2. In the Control Panel choose "Add or Remove Programs" (or Programs and Features in Windows Vista).
3. Select Microsoft Office in the list and click on the Change button.
4. Choose "add or remove features"
5. Select "Visual Basic for Applications" in the "Office Shared Features" list and set it to "Run from My Computer". Then click on the continue button.
6. After the installation is finished you will be able to use ASAP Utilities when you start Excel and see ASAP Utilities in the menu.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #69
mikesal57
Veteran

thxs hcap..it worked!!

when I originally installed office , I just chose word and excel and "x" everything else..

appreciated

mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #70
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57
thxs hcap..it worked!!

when I originally installed office , I just chose word and excel and "x" everything else..

appreciated

mike
I assume you are using Excel 2007 ? The batch program will run about twice as slow in 2007 than pre 2007 versions. (Have not tried it in Excel 97)

Make sure you download the latest version of ALLDATABase. Older versions will not work in 2007

Let us know how you do
Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #71
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Yeah, I had an idea that there was something wrong regarding macros. I know when I originally installed Excel 2007, I had a heck of time figuring out how to enable macros. Sounds like Mike has things worked out.

Thanks Harry.

Mike, hope you're up and running now. Let us know.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #72
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I've added the start for "Step 2" of the instructions for AllDataBase. This step starts where step 1 stopped and shows how to name and save setups for recall later, either for further research/updating or for using in Daily Play.

The document is on my website: AllData Excel

Hover your mouse over the "AllDataBase" tab and click the sub-menu "AllDataBase Help Document"

Old 01-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #73
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Step 2 continued

I've added to "Step 2" to include the very simple process for recalling previously saved setups/models, either for further research, or, for use in "Daily Play".

So, go to my site and download "Step 2.doc" again.

I'll start "Step 3" soon, which will cover the "Daily Play" method, using both AllData NI Batch and AllDataBase.

AllData Excel

Last edited by raybo; 01-09-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #74
punteray

Opening AllDataBase_V6(1)

When I open the program it opens on "Sheet D", not the first page???

I might add that you have brought me BACK to Excel kicking and screaming but I like what I see so far!!

Punteray
punteray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #75
hcap

The program is built on some old stuff I used personally. Sheet "D" stood for Data.

There are some bugs that we are aware of, and will be addressed in the next version.
None appear to be fatal or to interfere with data analysis.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: