Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
craigbraddick

Have some racecalls online, feedback welcome!

Hi People!

I now have some of my calls linked at my website. The addy is http://britishracecaller.blospot.com

Would appreciate any feedback you have so I can become a better commentator.

Thanks

Craig
craigbraddick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
craigbraddick

Correction. http://britishracecaller.blogspot.com

Missed out a G!

Craig
Old 09-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
levinmpa

Nice job. I always enjoy the way the volume and excitement of the British caller's voice increases through the final furlongs. It's more of a narration through the early running, but you can hear the excitement build as they turn for home. How do you like calling Quarter Horse races? There's no time to take a breath in those events.

Which tracks have you called in the UK?
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
Imriledup

Good stuff!

Liked your calls, solid.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
DarnThatAlarm

I noticed on your blog that your friend and fellow commentator James Witherite (Harrah's Chester) has a rating system he uses to grade all commentators. Its called CPF (Calls per furlong). Is this the standard he judges all commentators by? Where do you rate on his list? Also will you be invited by James Witherite to participate as a fellow commentator at his annual all star announcer extravaganza this fall? Great job at Arapahoe.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
craigbraddick

You would have to ask James if it is the standard he judges all commentators by.

Personally, although I think it is interesting, the system itself is flawed in that it does not take into account any of the factors that distinguish one racecaller from another.

I do not think you can really judge a piece of art by giving it a rating, and although I am not claiming a racecall is high art, I think the same applies here.

I am not sure where I rate on his list. But for example, in a twelve horse race, when they are going 6 furlongs, I make sure everyone gets a mention and then try to concentrate on the leaders for the last quarter mile.

In a mile race, everyone gets a mention, then good/bad moves are picked up on and then concentrate on the leaders in the final quarter mile.

I think presenting and narrating the goings-on in a race is far more important than any CPF rating.

Thanks for your comments about Arapahoe. I have no idea what James is planning this October, but probably not as I have not called a Harness Race in over a year and the general feeling is I am better suited to calling TB racing.

Craig
Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
craigbraddick

Hi Levinmpa:

When I called in the UK it was a long time ago.

Basically, from the age of 12-18, I would go to racetracks around the country every weekend, "break and enter" into a disused commentary box, practice and hope I would not get caught. In that regard, as a kid, I probably called at 90% of the tracks in the UK!

My firs paid call was at Cottenham Point to Point when I was 14. A 25 runner novice Steeplechase over 3 miles for amateur jockeys, about 6 horses finished!

Elsewhere, after that experience and until the age of 10, I called (for different organizations) at Sandown Park, Southwell, Huntingdon, Wolverhampton, Haydock Park, Newmarket and a couple of other places I think but these were mroe like one-offs.

Ultimately, as many of the commentators I then knew say to me now, there was a great deal of classism in british racing at the time and the chances of me breaking through, despite all the work I had put in, were always going to be slim because I was from the wrong side of the tracks and really didnt relate at all to the old military types who ruled the roost. Plus, I was also too young emotionally.

Started up in the USA again last year, this is my first full year and I hope to build on that.

Thanks

Craig.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
craigbraddick

Thanks for the feedback, Imriledup.

Craig