Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Harvhorse

Carter-Riley club

Are there any subscribers or former subscribers to the Carter-Riley club? I notice it is very expensive. How do they do with the fit and ready horses that they tout?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"life is 6/5 against"
D.R.
Harvhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
rokitman
Registered BSer

I'd go with the Bush-Kennedy Clique.
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Harvhorse

One's stupid the others dead!!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Light thinks they can still pick 'em better than the little guy.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Harvhorse

Dark picks them better than the big guys.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Tom Barrister
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvhorse
Are there any subscribers or former subscribers to the Carter-Riley club? I notice it is very expensive. How do they do with the fit and ready horses that they tout?

This is from the same publication that still speaks of Ray Taulbot in the present sense, as though the man were still alive.

I don't think $4 a week (about $2.50 a week if you pay annually) is that expensive. Whether or not their horses do well is another matter, but I would tend to doubt that they'd do much better than average.
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
toetoe
Veteran

Steinbrenner/Jackson Duo

One's convicted; the other's a born liar.

--- W. Martin
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
BeatTheChalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvhorse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"life is 6/5 against"
D.R.
They have been around since the beginning of time..or maybe even
longer. Used to be a weekly tout sheet. Racing Star weekly or something
like that.
Several touts would put out their picks. Notes from Shedrow and Ready
to roll will light up the board... "Ready for Brackets " and such...
Riley dates back to at least the middle 50's.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
CapperLou
Spot Play Bettor

Carter Riley Club, One of Henry Bomze's early pubs

Wow, this brings back some memories. Back in the late 50's and early 60's, the Carter Riley Club was a pretty good weekly tout letter sent to you of horses ready to win--and you could actually do pretty well with the Best Bets at that time. In addition, those were the days Henry Bomze was also publishing his weekly "Racing Star Weekly" along with his American Turf Monthly.

The Racing Star Weekly was full of back-fitted angles and plays. I know because I knew Henry and visited him at his office on 8th Ave at that time. I also corresponded with Ray Taulbot and went to Garden State Park with him several times over a period of about five years. You should know that he passed away around thirty years ago.

Henry's son Richard took over Star Publishing Co. and soon moved its office to Valley Stream, NY. He has owned some nice horses as you know. The Carter Riley Club was "upgraded" to a tout sheet called American Turf Club which one could have sent online with the advent of computers.

With online gambling getting so big, this company which was all about horses for decades started getting into hotline tips on football and the rest.
Richard sold the company a few years back and I do not know much about the folks who own it now.

Back then in the late 50's and early 60's Star was the biggest in the market for "tips" and papers. The other two well known touts in New York were "The Kentucky Colonel" and Clocker Ray. They both had small offices in a bldg at 49th St & 7th Ave., right up the street from the famous Stage Deli, Stage Cigar Store, and Carnegie Deli.

A good horseplayer could get eveything he wanted within walking distance.
I knew Clocker Ray personally--Ray Lippman, nickname Lippy. He was a character to put it mildly. Lots of fun and good memories back then.

CapperLou

Last edited by CapperLou; 09-10-2009 at 03:05 PM.
CapperLou is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
offtrack

Long time ago I used to pay for tips from Carol Nash, on Maiden Lane in NYC. Was a phone tout that used to advertise in the Sports Eye. I actually made some good scores with that information, but never any long term profit, of course.
offtrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
CapperLou
Spot Play Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtrack
Long time ago I used to pay for tips from Carol Nash, on Maiden Lane in NYC. Was a phone tout that used to advertise in the Sports Eye. I actually made some good scores with that information, but never any long term profit, of course.
You want to have a good laugh. The Colonel and Clocker Ray were phone touts too and my buddy who grew up in Saratoga and was at college with me in Boston--well--we used to call Ray from a pay phone in the dorm and then wire him something by western union. It was something else!! Then of course I met the guy in NYC, went to or met him at track often, and his wife even had me over for dinner once in awhile. He used to go crazy and scream at me when I would be playing all those Harbor View Farm winners at that time.

I'm cracking up now as I write this--Lippy was a tout's tout!!!

CapperLou
CapperLou is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
fmolf

I am a subscriber to American turf monthly and i do enjoy the articles about money management written by Barry Meadows...the recycled articles by Taulbot...and the statistical features about the upcoming meets.Their fit and ready horses rarely win and when the ones that did, at the tracks i play were at very short odds!All in all i would not renew my subscription.Can anyone tell me their experiences with the horsepalyer magazine? I heard this was an informitive publication?
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
BIG HIT

horseplayer mag

Subscribed two when frist stsrted.Liked some articles but over all no better or worse then the others does use that expensive glossy paper.Get more off this board then any of magazine.Just my opion though.
BIG HIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
Java Gold@TFT

Growing up in the early '70's my father and I read ATM religiously. I still have Ray Taulbot's original Pace calculator/slide rule. I also still have my original par times and track variances from Gordon Jones. As I became more aware of trip handicapping I found that many of the horses in my notes were also on the ATM fit and ready list.

The funniest thing is if you watch the repeats of the sitcom "2 and 1/2 Men" the Charlie Sheen character is always seen sitting around his living room reading American Turf Monthly, often with a cocktail sitting nearby. That pub should never be allowed to die.
Java Gold@TFT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply