Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
W2G

A fan's take on the Woodward

I went to Saratoga on Woodward day as a fan, not a horse player, and became a fan (again). No past performances, no mutuel voucher, not even a pen. It was quite an unexpectedly emotional experience and thought that some of you would enjoy a few impressions.

Now I've probably been to the Spa a hundred times, but I never truly realized how "well-produced" racing is there until Saturday. It's theatre. From the colors to the paddock to the music to Durkin's inspired calls to the dirt-caked jocks walking through the crowd back to the jock's room, it's a spectacle.

It's possible that without having my nose buried in numbers my senses were available for other duties. But the place seemed to have a certain energy I've not felt before. Anyone else who was there feel the same?

There's always kids at Saratoga. But there seemed to be a lot of kids on this day.

Near the jockey's room a security guard called out "Let's go" to a man and young boy. The man lifted the beaming child over a railing to the guard and they hurried inside. I had to ask. "They're both my nephews. He's getting Borel's autograph." It pays to have connections.

During the ninth race, people began to quickly gather along the railing lining the path to the paddock. We found a spot too. Next to us were adorable little girls holding signs that read "Girls Rule" and "Girl Power". Their mother strategized out loud "As soon as Rachel goes by we run to the rail." A good but doomed plan as the crowd was three-deep along the rail already. I hope those little girls saw some of the race.

The Woodward field filed through. Macho is a gorgeous animal. While the others are met with indifference and relative silence, Rachel comes along to the sound and flashes of cameras and calls from the crush of onlookers. I wondered if she could really hold it together and rise to the occasion as the noise will only get louder later. I also wondered how those little girls would react if she lost.

Sam the Bugler and "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel. A lump in the throat.

She dumps Borel. Were the racing gods really going to deny her this and disappoint this boisterous throng? I thought so at the time.

The race. No need to recount that here. We discovered she's all heart too. My first post-race thought was it's time for a rest. Looks like she'll be getting it.

My advice is try being just a fan sometime. Even the most hard-boiled player could use a break and reconnect with the sport.
W2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
kenwoodallpromos

Great post!

Great post; I especial like to here about kids enjoying! You did note a horse and jockey as reason for fans to be there, and a common connection helps too ("Girl Power")!
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
kenwoodallpromos

Great post!

Great post; I especially like to hear about kids enjoying! You did note a horse and jockey as a reason for fans to be there, and a common connection helps too ("Girl Power")! Also, "From the colors (COLOR), to the paddock to the music (SOUND), to Durkin's inspired calls to the dirt-caked jocks walking through the crowd (MOVEMENT) back to the jock's room, it's a spectacle."
I recently began writing this book- "BOOK== DOING BUSINESS: COLOR, MOVEMENT, SOUND. What the public wants and will buy. 2009 Kenneth Woodall".
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
46zilzal
velocitician

Sounds like the days gone by when horse and rider were cheered coming back to the winner's circle. We need stars and the promotion of the same.

I can recall that attendance was always 25% higher anytime John Henry ran.

It's good for the game.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
W2G

Another "take" on the Woodward. This is really good. Just really good. Sorry if it's already been posted.

If you weren't there, this makes you feel like you were...

[YT="Woodward Day"]Fh_CcdIiQR0[/YT]
W2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Talking

WG2... Thank you for your wonderful description of Woodward day...and the video clip...as soon as I have time I plan on visiting youtube because I imagine there are a lot of good clips from the day...your words in describing the event...the color, the movement, the sound...Durkin's call, IMO, was as good as the one he gave for Cigar in the Classic, and seems appropriate for Rachel as well; "the invincable, unconquerable, unbeatable....Rachel Alexandra!!!

Having spent many meets at Saratoga when I was rubbing horses, I can reach back into memories and know what you describe is real...and well said...I may not have had the great good fortune of being there this Woodward day...but I can still bathe in the knowing of what happened there and all that surrounded the race and Rachel and Calvin is now going to make some very special memories for you and the thousands there to cheer her, get goosebumps, cry joyful tears and feel the emotion of what this sport can be...what it should be and what is was on Woodward day 2009.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
rokitman
Registered BSer

Real nice, W2G.
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Grits

A tremendous thank you for posting............

It was a joy to watch! And to know this and other videos are at Youtube to watch, many times over.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Imriledup

Good stuff 2G.

Ive immersed myself so much into the horse betting aspect of racing, that i don't let myself be a fan too often. Rachel forced me to be a fan. She's forcing me to stop and smell the roses and enjoy greatness and actually enjoy this sport as a sport.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
Tom-Oh

Nice man, good to see racing still has it's moments.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

I always close out Saratoga with a Sunday/Monday Labor Day trip, but this year decided to catch "The Rachel Show". The Free Buttons NYRA gave away were an el-cheapo design; send the leftovers to YAVAPI for the horse that won there Tuesday! Were rights fees involved preventing them from a likeness or at least having "Saratoga~Woodward~9/5/2009" added for keepsake purposes??
The experience was GREAT! I was at "The Top'O The Stretch" near the quarter-mile pole for the day. Got there as The National Anthem Played...
"Talkin'Horses" preview show was super w/Andy & Andy
(if only Mr.Beyer's 15/1ml Hamazing Destiny had won the 8th..Aargh!).
Kids played Everywhere; Boys could have cared less about the horses parading by ; the girls, however, were riled and ready for "Girrrl Power".
Coolers were carried, rolled, & motored in, filled with wrapped sandwiches, shrimp platters, soda,H2O, Mike's Hard Lemonade,& 1,000's of Ice-Cold Beers being consumed by folks from 18 to 80..but not ONE Wine Cooler sighted!
(Ooop, make that 21...that's the ticket) Betting & Bathroom lines were short; weather was spectacular. While I tried to beat Rachel,at the eighth-pole every female was screaming, tears ready to roll, & I thought,
"Gee, I really hope she wins..Racing needs this A LOT more than I need a Pick-4!"
After the photos & unsaddling, a rousing cheer started rolling towards us from the finish line as she walked by the crowd back to the barn area, with a handler holding her bouquet of roses from the victory...it was a spontaneous show of love for the filly, who was breathing REAL HARD & looked like Calvin had finally "gotten to the bottom of her".
Time for a well-deserved break for Rachel, & a "JOB WELL DONE!" for NYRA
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #12
NJ Stinks

Thank you, W2G.
NJ Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 AM   #13
WinterTriangle

W2, you brought tears to my eyes.

That was a really enjoyable post.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Great vid....Thanks!

I couldn't help think........ I wish my Dad was here to see her.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
point given

Ernie Munick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Great vid....Thanks!

I couldn't help think........ I wish my Dad was here to see her.

Just to give credit where it is due; the Vlog was that of Ernie Munick, from his site http://www.erniemunick.com/main/ You might want to visit .

Ernie was once upon a time a newspaper handicapper for one of the NY tabloids,
(forget if it was the News or Post) and a guitarist.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply