Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #1111
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Fair enough Click.....
However, do you agree that there are two sides to every story? I don't think Mike is arguing or thinking the medical experts have no clue.
But, what about the business experts who by the way aren't discussing with the medical experts and vice versa.....

Do you disagree with the business argument?
I don't dispute the business side. Nor do I dispute those who concentrate on the side and the myriad of problems that comes with this.

I fully recognize there are 2 sides of the coin (and then the "edges of the coin too) to everything.

And I don't dispute that PaceAdvantage and others here have a completely different OPINION than I have.

I have tons of friends in real life for 30+ years who have completely different opinions on everything, as well as completely different politics, than I do.
Never seen that as a problem. Or at least, nobody in my circle has and it's been a few decades now. We always laugh about it.

Meanwhile I have also never ever made an ad-hominem attack on any forum member here.....only argued with their opinions. I don't name-call in my posts, either. I don't refer to people as "dims" or anything like that. You would be hard pressed to find that in any of my posts. )

In case you haven't noticed, I'm interested in this virus, as a medical phenomena and as an illness. I've rarely otherwise participate in the "political topics* here. I have very moderate political views.)

But I guess the fact that this pandemic has become so politiicized means I should probably hang out on my epidemiological sites instead.....which I did even before Covid-19 existed. That is more my interest.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #1112
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Saturday Night Live now the latest COVID casualty.

Not even 9/11 could knock them out.
Thank God.

I am sure that it was deliberate to put more scare into this, and of course, blame Trump.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #1113
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Trump's comment was asinine to say the least....Yesterday he says "relax", today he talks out his ass, with the "August" BS. Looks like he doesn't want to re-elected with this kind of epic stupidity spewing out of his mouth.

Advice to Trump----Have Pence speak, as he's who you assigned as the "front-man" for the CV event, anyway. Pence would have never said July or August, as he's simply not that stupid.
Which way do you want it...likely reality or fantasy?
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 09:00 PM   #1114
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post

Meanwhile I have also never ever made an ad-hominem attack on any forum member here.....
That's exactly what you did with me over Candace Owen's tweet. I'm still waiting to see your screen shot you claim to have.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #1115
mountainman

Was born with pneumonia and almost died. Have contracted it numerous times since. Also suffer from chronic bronchitis that recurs several times each year, and had legionnaires in fall of 2018.

Consequently, even though I am fit and active for a fat guy, breathing often requires a conscious effort that never gets easier.

I'm just venting, but do want to be clear. As a guy who almost died from gall bladder surgery, underwent two prostate operations (non-cancerous) that each entailed a separate 15 hour period of inability to pass urine (an indescribable brand of hell), and just recently had two surgical procedures to zap incredibly painful kidney stones, I don't scare easily, and I'm not an alarmist.

But I must acknowledge that Covid could kill me. So I am avoiding people as much as possible. Golf-home-golf-home has become my life. And I shudder to think how long this might last.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-16-2020 at 09:15 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #1116
coachv30

My advice for peace of mind....

If you don't already, take up fishing. Watch videos of what to use if you are unsure. Learning to fly fish takes a couple of months to become proficient that may get you past the boredom and frustration. Who knows, you may find a new love in the hobby. We can start a thread here where we post our catches.

The largemouth bass begin to spawn soon...good time to learn to bass fish. Hit me up for tips and tactics.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #1117
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Was born with pneumonia and almost died. Have contracted it numerous times since. Also suffer from chronic bronchitis that recurs several times each year, and had legionnaires in fall of 2018.

Consequently, even though I am fit and active for a fat guy, breathing often requires a conscious effort that never gets easier.

I'm just venting, but do want to be clear. As a guy who almost died from gall bladder surgery, underwent two prostate operations (non-cancerous) that each entailed a separate 15 hour period of inability to pass urine (an indescribable brand of hell), and just recently had two surgical procedures to zap incredibly painful kidney stones, I don't scare easily, and I'm not an alarmist.

But I must acknowledge that Covid could kill me. So I am avoiding people as much as possible. Golf-home-golf-home has become my life. And I shudder to think how long this might last.

Avoid gatherings for the time being.

Try to get your strength up. We have a housing inspection tomorrow, so I got my heart-rate up several times doing some vacuuming and cleaning.

Maybe we should write a horse-racing book during the down-time, before we go extinct .
Old 03-16-2020, 10:21 PM   #1118
JustRalph
Just another Facist

County ordered takeout business only.

We are going to run takeout for a few days but probably close Sunday night. May never re-open.......
Old 03-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #1119
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Most people on this thread have to be retired...either that or independently wealthy, and since this is a horse board, that's probably not likely...
Old 03-16-2020, 10:48 PM   #1120
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

We are going to run takeout for a few days but probably close Sunday night. May never re-open.......
This is pretty damn heartbreaking to read. I hope it doesn't come to this. I know how hard you and your wife have worked to run a successful business.

And now it's hanging over the edge, all in the span of a week or two.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:24 PM   #1121
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Was This a Trial Run?

This is full of links, embedded in the piece....Rabbit-hole, for those who are interested

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/about

Event 201 was a 3.5-hour pandemic tabletop exercise that simulated a series of dramatic, scenario-based facilitated discussions, confronting difficult, true-to-life dilemmas associated with response to a hypothetical, but scientifically plausible, pandemic. 15 global business, government, and public health leaders were players in the simulation exercise that highlighted unresolved real-world policy and economic issues that could be solved with sufficient political will, financial investment, and attention now and in the future.
The exercise consisted of pre-recorded news broadcasts, live “staff” briefings, and moderated discussions on specific topics. These issues were carefully designed in a compelling narrative that educated the participants and the audience.
The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, World Economic Forum, and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation jointly propose these recommendations.

Friday, October 18, 2019
8:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
The Pierre hotel
New York, NY
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 11:30 PM   #1122
Mulerider

Quote:

In a similar boat, Ralph. My county hasn't made the decision yet, but it's probably coming. I have a drive-through, which will help.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 11:37 PM   #1123
oughtoh

Quote:

Sorry to hear this, hopefully there will be a way you can save it.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 11:56 PM   #1124
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Maybe some good news? --

Australian researchers claim two existing drugs could 'cure' COVID-19 after patients they tested responded 'very well' to treatment:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html

Quote:
Drugs used to treat HIV and malaria could be used to tackle the coronavirus, according to scientists in Australia.

A team of infectious disease experts at the University of Queensland in Brisbane say they have seen two existing medications manage to wipe out COVID-19 infections.

Chloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, and HIV-suppressing combination lopinavir/ritonavir have both reportedly shown promising results in human tests and made the virus 'disappear' in infected patients.

The drugs are being tested as researchers and doctors around the world scramble to try and find a vaccine, cure or treatment for the deadly virus.

Drugs used to treat HIV and malaria could be used to tackle the coronavirus, according to scientists in Australia.

A team of infectious disease experts at the University of Queensland in Brisbane say they have seen two existing medications manage to wipe out COVID-19 infections.

Chloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, and HIV-suppressing combination lopinavir/ritonavir have both reportedly shown promising results in human tests and made the virus 'disappear' in infected patients.

The drugs are being tested as researchers and doctors around the world scramble to try and find a vaccine, cure or treatment for the deadly virus.

Professor Paterson said it wouldn't be wrong to consider the drugs a possible 'treatment or cure' for the deadly respiratory infection.

He explained that when the HIV medication lopinavir/ritonavir was given to people infected with the coronavirus in Australia it led to the 'disappearance of the virus'.

He told Australian news site news.com.au: 'It's a potentially effective treatment.'

'Patients would end up with no viable coronavirus in their system at all after the end of the therapy.'

Although the treatment had been effective in a smattering of cases, there hasn't been any controlled testing like what would be needed to test a new drug, Professor Paterson said.

'That first wave of Chinese patients we had (in Australia), they all did very, very well when they were treated with the HIV drug,' Professor Paterson said.

'What we want to do at the moment is a large clinical trial across Australia, looking at 50 hospitals, and what we're going to compare is one drug, versus another drug, versus the combination of the two drugs,' Professor Paterson said.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 03-16-2020 at 11:57 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 12:09 AM   #1125
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:

Louisiana closes all restaurants and bars as of midnight tonight.
All we can do is delivery and To Go orders.
Trying to keep my staff working but the front of the house is gonna take a huge financial hit.
I'll be rotating them working the phones and doing carry out & delivery orders.
This will last until around April 13