Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #16
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99
Besides horseracing the only thing that matters is politics.

I am a horse and political junky.

As long as i get my fix of both daily, i am happy. :-)

Allan
I guess compared to politics, horse racing must seem squeaky clean and innocent.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #17
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
The options are endless and related to your personal interests. I played basketball competitively for years and when my joints couldn't take the pounding I started officiating. I work as a marshall at a golf course two days a week. I write a blog on horseracing. Bicycling and bike maintenance sounds like a great sidelight. Looking at the sky is fascinating - I remember being in a really remote place far away from city lights and the full sky is incredible. Only you know what would stimulate you. Do you like activites with a lot of social interaction? Things you do more by yourself? The options are endless. Sounds like you have a good start and a good attitude.
In 1985 my wife and I took a road trip down I-5 and ended up in a rest stop just outside Eugene at about 3am. I've never seen so many stars in the sky in my life. Incredible.

I spend a lot of time on the internet reading all the astronomy stuff. We (humans) have telescopes all over the earth and in orbit and hurtling through space a couple billion miles away and counting. I love going through all that stuff and trying to imagine the vastness of it all and my little place in it. The recent Pluto experience was very exciting.

Really though, I think the transition I'll ultimately make is from handicapping to shopping for a tasteful pine box.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
In 1985 my wife and I took a road trip down I-5 and ended up in a rest stop just outside Eugene at about 3am. I've never seen so many stars in the sky in my life. Incredible.

I spend a lot of time on the internet reading all the astronomy stuff. We (humans) have telescopes all over the earth and in orbit and hurtling through space a couple billion miles away and counting. I love going through all that stuff and trying to imagine the vastness of it all and my little place in it. The recent Pluto experience was very exciting.

Really though, I think the transition I'll ultimately make is from handicapping to shopping for a tasteful pine box.
There will always be horseracing somewhere. And billions of stars in the sky. It's an amazing universe.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #19
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54
i would like to know if others that read this forum have caught on to other hobbies or interests, with the waning of horseracing?
it would be nice if people chimed in with some ideas. i'll start on a positive note with;
taking up bicycling and learning about maintenance and repair of same.

astronomy, observation, reading star maps and locating the planets and observing through a telescope.

self-improvement, in general. reading books on same.
I run 5-6 mornings per week, and row on a lake every evening (when weather permits.)
Old 02-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #20
thaskalos

Might I suggest a yoga and meditation practice? It has done wonders for my health and my state of mind...and I find that it's a big help to me in the gambling arenas as well. The time-commitment isn't major either.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #21
banacek

This thread makes me think of one of the favourite posts in my time here..it's from chickenhead - one of my favourite posters in my time here :

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...28&postcount=1
Your little winning streak
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #22
MonmouthParkJoe

I power lifted seriously during undergrad, strong man comps, continued for years after. Got back into it seriously within the last year. I read alot, about a book every day or so.

I also fish as much as I can, specifically striped bass and fluke. Crabbing as well when the run is on.

Video games are my big thing too. Ever since I got my first NES as a kid I was hooked. Amazing how far the technology has come. Also been writing a book for the last year. One item that is on my bucket list that I am looking to check off. Even if it isnt picked up by a major publisher, i will self publish.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #23
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
I power lifted seriously during undergrad, strong man comps, continued for years after. Got back into it seriously within the last year. I read alot, about a book every day or so.

I also fish as much as I can, specifically striped bass and fluke. Crabbing as well when the run is on.

Video games are my big thing too. Ever since I got my first NES as a kid I was hooked. Amazing how far the technology has come. Also been writing a book for the last year. One item that is on my bucket list that I am looking to check off. Even if it isnt picked up by a major publisher, i will self publish.
I can relate to wanting to publish a book. My new novel, The Kingpins of Riverbend, became available as an ebook on Amazon.com last Thanksgiving. Fictional story set in upstate NY in 1968 and it has nothing to do with horseracing. Should be available in hard copy fairly soon. Good luck with yours. If you need any advice let me know. I'd be happy to help.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2016, 01:20 AM   #24
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

I play chess

I play chess on Lichess.com
Really fun site, can get a game almost instantly. For what it is worth my rating is about 1450 which means I am about as good as 46% of all the rest.
It's easy to join just email and screen name.
Mine is: Smile-Of-Reason.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #25
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
I play chess on Lichess.com
Really fun site, can get a game almost instantly. For what it is worth my rating is about 1450 which means I am about as good as 46% of all the rest.
It's easy to join just email and screen name.
Mine is: Smile-Of-Reason.
have a friend who is a master level chess player and a really good poker player but could not pick a horse race to save his life.

when I come up with a nice winner during our trips to the track he always complains "but that horse wasn't the most likely winner on paper" I try and explain "best horse on paper betting is a sure way to the workhouse"

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #26
Johnny V

My interest in racing has definitely waned in the last few years although I still handicap and bet almost every day at certain times of the year, less so at other times. I like to take a short complete break from time to time. I have done some charity work one to two times a week for the last several years which I have found rewarding. I also spend more time in the gym and outdoors and try to spend more time with the family if I can.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #27
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Paper Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99
have a friend who is a master level chess player and a really good poker player but could not pick a horse race to save his life.

when I come up with a nice winner during our trips to the track he always complains "but that horse wasn't the most likely winner on paper" I try and explain "best horse on paper betting is a sure way to the workhouse"

Allan
So true! That's why I have always been such a darn tooting consistent LOSER....Always looking for those paper tigers, the horses that by all reasonable standards, OUGHT TO WIN, and yet consistently find only ways to losel

AND being shocked repeated by horses that HAVE NO BUSINESS WINNING!

Led me to the probably errant conclusion that the races are rigged...How could I ever beat the game if the game is not run on the level?

And then trying to anticipate when "the fix was in"....led me nowhere but the workhouse AGAIN....
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #28
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Dang, I've done so many different things in my lifetime, sometimes it amazes me that I was able to do so any at a time. As an athlete in my youth through my early 40s, I played all 4 major sports, transitioned to 6' and under basketball in the city leagues, softball (both fast pitch and slow pitch), billiards has always been part of my life although not so much recently, but thinking of getting back into it via tournaments in the area. Also thinking of getting back into bowling again (carried a 172 average while in the USAF). Shoot, I even played competitive table tennis (ping pong), which started overseas against the local Thais. Raced motocross in the 250 and open classes while in the USAF too, recently bought a used CR125 that allows me to get out "in the dirt" occasionally, mostly trail riding but plan to enter a few "Vet" races this summer (55 and 60 and older probably).

My big daily activity is working in Excel. Don't know why but I just love messing with spreadsheets, especially racing related ones. Math was always easy for me, and logic stuff comes from my work with computers starting in the USAF.

My better half and I walk the local park's walking path every day, weather permitting, about 1 1/2 mile total. About to buy outdoor roller skates and give that a go too, maybe some rink skating too.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 02-25-2016 at 11:00 AM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #29
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

There's no more joy in life then bowing my heart to our Creator, coming together with others who find great fulfillment in worshiping HIM! Those beautiful songs we sing, learning to see how beautiful HE really is, humbly, greatly thanking HIM for all HIS grace to us!

But then you ask me, what in the world are you doing in this arena? Isn't this forbidden to you, a lawless place? I must admit, one can be here and involved in all kinds destructive behavior, and it would be inappropriate. But to me, this venue of horse racing has been very valuable. I've learned so much about math, computers, controlling one's emotions/finances, learning value. No matter what business one pursues, value is the bottom line. In "the market" one must find a good business at a good price; when we go shopping, we don't pay top dollar, we attempt to find the best price, etc. Disciple, I've learned (the hard way).

And most of us have learned to enjoy, pursue reading, which is invaluable in this endeavor! I must admit, I love this sport, and like the other gentleman said, even if I don't bet, I enjoy the research.

This PA forum, what a joy, to come here and express ideas, philosophy, and to set forth a thoughtful argument for a certain strategy.

It's a pleasure to be here today, on this forum!!
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #30
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by banacek
This thread makes me think of one of the favourite posts in my time here..it's from chickenhead - one of my favourite posters in my time here :

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...28&postcount=1
That is a GREAT post. Thanks for digging that up.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply