Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #61
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetrack Playa View Post
cOME ON NOW, THESE JOCKEYS deserve a little respect, bud

You are reacting to an opinion that shows some pretty extreme personal bias.

Someone who consistently refers to jockey's as "pinheads" and "little pukes" has hardly established themselves as able to display objectivity in the matter.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #62
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I'd like to see some limits put in place so the top 5 jockeys don't win 90% of the money.
Same goes for trainers btw. Put some limits on them too.
That is a good idea.

As for the PDJF, there is no downside to championing donations for worthy causes.

I have made it a regular practice, at the end of every week, to "tithe" a small % of my winnings to PDJF, as well as to TRF and Old Friends....I believe in karma and when I started doing this my ROI improved quite a bit Seems to have brought me "luck".
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #63
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
You are reacting to an opinion that shows some pretty extreme personal bias.

Someone who consistently refers to jockey's as "pinheads" and "little pukes" has hardly established themselves as able to display objectivity in the matter.
What is there to be objective about? I agree with safety issues, but totally disagree with cheap grandstanding act they pulled. The Guild ambushed the NTRA and NYRA Saturday, and the claim they made were preposterous! ( to use Steve Byk's words today).

Respect is earned.
They lost respect this weekend by acting like.....little pukes.

Byk made a good point today - the BS about needing a concussion protocol. The jocks are not united on that one. Mike Smith gets thrown in the third race Saturday, so he has to not ride the rest of the day. He loses the mount on Justify. You think the top riders are going to go for that?

Act like professional adults and stop the grandstanding is all I am saying. I have no problem standing up for them when they do. BUt the door swings both ways - act like pinheads and I will call you pinheads.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #64
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What is there to be objective about? I agree with safety issues, but totally disagree with cheap grandstanding act they pulled. The Guild ambushed the NTRA and NYRA Saturday, and the claim they made were preposterous! ( to use Steve Byk's words today).

Respect is earned.
They lost respect this weekend by acting like.....little pukes.

Byk made a good point today - the BS about needing a concussion protocol. The jocks are not united on that one. Mike Smith gets thrown in the third race Saturday, so he has to not ride the rest of the day. He loses the mount on Justify. You think the top riders are going to go for that?

Act like professional adults and stop the grandstanding is all I am saying. I have no problem standing up for them when they do. BUt the door swings both ways - act like pinheads and I will call you pinheads.
They're grown ups. If they received a concussion, it's up to them to decide whether to race or not unless it's determined that having received a concussion could be dangerous for the horse or other riders and their horses.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #65
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Very interesting comments on this and safety in general from Tony Black on At the Races Tuesday, second hour.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #66
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Need the whole story. If they have been asking for a discussion on this issue for a while and gotten no response from management then you are left with what little power you have, I still dont agree with the move but I can see it.

I have no idea why we dont allow for higher weights, its a joke that they ride at 126 in the EU yet we are asking them to be 115 or less.

Well I'll tell you why: Raise the weights by 10 pounds across the board and you would never see a track or American record for any distance ever broken again.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #67
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Who cares?
NYRA can change the weight without a national discussion.
According to Tony, they can do some other things on their own but won't.

Maybe the jocks should have opted to reveal the TRUTH instead messing with the customers.

Seems to me both sides in NY are a-holes.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #68
Thomas Roulston

I remember NYRA's weight scale in the late '70s like it was yesterday - and this is what it was for colts and geldings regardless of the distance:

March: 3-year-olds, 113 lbs., older, 126 lbs.
April: 3-year-olds, 113 lbs., older, 124 lbs.
May: 3-year-olds, 113 lbs., older, 122 lbs.
June: 3-year-olds, 114 lbs., older, 122 lbs.
July: 3-year-olds, 115 lbs., older, 122 lbs.
August: 3-year-olds, 116 lbs., older, 122 lbs.
September: 3-year-olds, 117 lbs., older, 122 lbs.
October: 3-year-olds, 118 lbs., older, 122 lbs.
November: 3-year-olds, 119 lbs., older, 122 lbs.
December: 3-year-olds, 120 lbs., older, 122 lbs.

In races for fillies and mares, older horses carried 120 or 121 instead of 122.

Of course these weights were before the usual 3- or 5-pound allowances for "non-winners of this or that" were given.

And in the ancient scale of weights for age, the scale weight for older males was nearly always 126 - and even higher in the early months of the year.

So what the jockeys appear to be asking for is hardly unreasonable from a historical perspective.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: