Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
Afleet

Man o'War

interesting read for history buffs. He gave a lot of weight at a 2 y/o old which would seem crazy today

excerpt:

What was left for Man o’ War to prove? The one glaring omission from his record was a test against an older horse, and for some time Riddle had been under pressure to commit him to a match race against 4-year-old Sir Barton, the winner in 1919 of all the races that would later become bracketed together as the Triple Crown. Kenilworth Park, in Windsor, Canada, secured the honour of staging the event, putting up $75,000 and a $5,000 Gold Cup as prize for the winner.

It was a strange match with the favourite at 20-1 on, and it duly turned out to be an uncompetitive affair. Man o’ War soon bounded clear, always had matters all his own way, and won by seven lengths, knocking more than six seconds off the ten-furlong track record.

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...-success-sire/

Last edited by Afleet; 05-13-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
thaskalos

"The mostest horse."
Old 05-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
BELMONT 6-6-09

Still one of the boldest names especially fitting for a legend!
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
dnlgfnk

Man o' War never faced Exterminator, but on one occasion they did race on the same day at Saratoga. On August 30, 1919 Man o' War won the 3rd race, the six furlong Hopeful, in 1:13. Some minutes later (one would presume), Exterminator won the 4th race, the mile and three-quarters Saratoga Cup in 2:58. I'm not sure what figures “Pack” McKenna gave them.

Owner Sam Riddle was accused of ducking Exterminator in the 1920 running of the Saratoga Cup. It may have been interesting, and perhaps more discussed today had MOW, Sir Barton and Exterminator hooked up, with the later runner Exterminator possibly benefiting from the early pace...

https://books.google.com/books?id=ui...opatra&f=false
Old 05-16-2018, 03:12 AM   #5
Man o' War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
interesting read for history buffs. He gave a lot of weight at a 2 y/o old which would seem crazy today

excerpt:

What was left for Man o’ War to prove? The one glaring omission from his record was a test against an older horse, and for some time Riddle had been under pressure to commit him to a match race against 4-year-old Sir Barton, the winner in 1919 of all the races that would later become bracketed together as the Triple Crown. Kenilworth Park, in Windsor, Canada, secured the honour of staging the event, putting up $75,000 and a $5,000 Gold Cup as prize for the winner.

It was a strange match with the favourite at 20-1 on, and it duly turned out to be an uncompetitive affair. Man o’ War soon bounded clear, always had matters all his own way, and won by seven lengths, knocking more than six seconds off the ten-furlong track record.

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...-success-sire/
Damn, you brought me out of hibernation!
Man o' War is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 03:14 AM   #6
Man o' War

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
"The mostest horse."
Thanks, always knew you had good taste!!

Last edited by Man o' War; 05-16-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:17 AM   #7
Man o' War

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMONT 6-6-09 View Post
Still one of the boldest names especially fitting for a legend!
Ever notice that most great horses have great names attached to them? Buckpasser, Citation, Slew, Affirmed, Secretariat..etc.
Can you imagine if ‘I’ll Have Another’ didn’t suffer that tendon injury before the Belmont and ended up winning the Triple Crown? I think the racing gods had something to do with his demise….
Old 05-16-2018, 03:19 AM   #8
Man o' War

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Man o' War never faced Exterminator, but on one occasion they did race on the same day at Saratoga. On August 30, 1919 Man o' War won the 3rd race, the six furlong Hopeful, in 1:13. Some minutes later (one would presume), Exterminator won the 4th race, the mile and three-quarters Saratoga Cup in 2:58. I'm not sure what figures “Pack” McKenna gave them.

Owner Sam Riddle was accused of ducking Exterminator in the 1920 running of the Saratoga Cup. It may have been interesting, and perhaps more discussed today had MOW, Sir Barton and Exterminator hooked up, with the later runner Exterminator possibly benefiting from the early pace...

https://books.google.com/books?id=ui...opatra&f=false
Yeah Exterminator would benefit by beating Sir Barton by 2 lengths but still losing to MOW by 5
Old 05-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
CincyHorseplayer

I've read a solid amount about him and I love the tales! My question is as I am scouring my brain over here, is Tiznow the only horse producing meaningful progeny from this line? The amazing thing about this particular line is that it defies nearly all connections to other greats. Nearly every great horse today goes through Phalaris(then to Eclipse), if not they all trace back to Eclipse. This line traces back to neither and goes all the way back to Godolphin Arabian(1724).
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man o' War View Post
Ever notice that most great horses have great names attached to them? Buckpasser, Citation, Slew, Affirmed, Secretariat..etc.
Can you imagine if ‘I’ll Have Another’ didn’t suffer that tendon injury before the Belmont and ended up winning the Triple Crown? I think the racing gods had something to do with his demise….
Jim Murray of the LA Times wrote a column about that after Lil E. Tee won the Derby. He was outraged that a horse with such a silly name won America's biggest race.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 AM   #11
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man o' War View Post
Exactly how great is the name American Pharoah with pharaoh spelled incorrectly?
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #12
Man o' War

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post
Exactly how great is the name American Pharoah with pharaoh spelled incorrectly?
It isn’t, as I said ‘most’, but ‘Pharoah’ even if spelled incorrectly is a hell of a lot better than placing a self- indulged human desire phrase like ‘I’ll Have Another’ on a race horse…

Or something like this….

FUNNY BUT RIDICULOUS!!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
dilanesp

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JvRTwnHrj5...SanfordPPs.jpg

Last edited by dilanesp; 05-18-2018 at 03:25 PM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 01:17 AM   #14
Man o' War

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Man, if this is the original form and all the information handicappers had to work with in 1919, how can any player be confident betting their hard-earned money back then?

Unless…
You hung around the barn all day. Was your own chart maker with a stopwatch noting the ¼ , ½ splits and calls, had the race dates, race conditions and purses logged in manually on note cards of all the races of the horses that you kept in a file at your work station back home (which was a cot in a rented boarding house room next to the track) and you woke up at 4:00 am in the morning every day so you could watch all the horses workout….

Even then, you may still have ended up with MOW on top and may have had to pass the race or you may have picked up some valuable information from all the work you did and bet on Upset who just got beat by MOW carrying the same weights last time. Luckily for those players on this day, MOW had a poor start….and we think it is tough now...
Old 05-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #15
Hedevar

The first and real Big Red!
Hedevar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: