Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #16
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
I have liked Larry going back to his Suffolk days, got a laugh when he said
on the backstrech that " Gronkowski had a wall of blockers in front of him" in the JCGC.!
I like Larry too but the JCGC is not the best example of a stellar performance on his part...let's just leave it at that.

As far as the BC, I'm sure we'll see some of the usual excellent wagering opportunities, but it's definitely lacking American starpower this year.
castaway01 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
dilanesp

I think if Accelerate wins the BC Classic, he will have completed an excellent year in which he dominated the handicap division in California winning all of our major races.

That will probably get him a few votes for Horse of the Year; unfortunately, a horse who is inferior to him in every possible way and who beat up on fields of mediocre 3 year olds (including one time with team tactics) has that honor sewed up.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #18
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I like the way they are putting all of the 2YrOld races on Friday, although sorry to see the Juvy turf sprint back, that's a dumb race, but at least they bumped up the purse to $1M(it used to be $500k). We'll see how it goes.

Since Diversify flopped last Saturday, I don't see any "showdowns" to look forward to, just full fields running for high purses, which is all a horse player can as for. It's still the best day of the year in racing, and i'm sure all those who ripped it in this thread will be watching.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

There may well be some good betting races, but as far a "championships" go, I see nothing to get excited about.

At least the Classic might be something worthwhile this year, other a public outing for the lone star in the older division left running.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #20
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
This years Breeders Cup is headed to be one of the best ever, in terms of wide open races.

There are very few dominant favorites. Even a horse like Bellafina and Game Winner hardly feel dominant talents.

Should be a fun betting day. Not all that great for crowning champions but being honest the event has lost a lot the past decade.
Agreed, Tom pretty much said the same thing too. For people like us that try to make money betting......this could actually be a good 2 days. Its an open season on who will probably win. Just look at the Jockey Gold Cup and Discreet Lover. With all the retirements and defections that thing was wide open after the two front runners dueled each other into submission. When Thunder Snow got bobbed out that cost me the pick 4 so I will be paying close attention to the craziest of horses. Somethings going to break wide open on the tote board in one or more of those races.

As for calling it "Championships" that's somewhat of a joke. In this regard, I sort of wish they went to the old format and dumped the BC all together. For crying out loud, these days, these horses are done by late summer. You can see it by the way they perform...…if they even make it racing that long. The 3yo division is pretty much down to Mendelssohn this year and he left his guts out there the other day.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I think if Accelerate wins the BC Classic, he will have completed an excellent year in which he dominated the handicap division in California winning all of our major races.

That will probably get him a few votes for Horse of the Year; unfortunately, a horse who is inferior to him in every possible way and who beat up on fields of mediocre 3 year olds (including one time with team tactics) has that honor sewed up.
While I agree the 3yo crop has floundered a bit, I'd say Good Magic was as good as any horse Accelerate has beaten save West Coast, and he clearly wasn't 100% on Saturday.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2018, 01:14 AM   #22
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
While I agree the 3yo crop has floundered a bit, I'd say Good Magic was as good as any horse Accelerate has beaten save West Coast, and he clearly wasn't 100% on Saturday.
If Justify trained the whole year and developed he would have drowned accelerate, just different levels of talent in my book. Will never know but Justify was a very very talented horse, I think the early retirement has maybe dimmed how good he was with so little racing under his belt.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2018, 01:35 AM   #23
SharpCat

Quote:
If Justify trained the whole year and developed he would have drowned accelerate, just different levels of talent in my book.
I would agree with that. Is Accelerate even the best horse in the stable? I actually think his stable mate Catalina Cruiser would drown him.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #24
dilanesp

Quote:
If Justify trained the whole year and developed he would have drowned accelerate, just different levels of talent in my book. Will never know but Justify was a very very talented horse, I think the early retirement has maybe dimmed how good he was with so little racing under his belt.
He only gets credit for what he did.

Accelerate perforned at the top level throughout the year against open competition, and ran much faster than Justify.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #25
Thomas Roulston

How come Maryland has never hosted a BC?

If they're good enough to host one of the Triple Crown races ...
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #26
letswastemoney

I'm against Accelerate. Sadler probably doesn't fare as well outside California, and this horse did look bad in the Awesome Again, despite winning.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #27
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
How come Maryland has never hosted a BC?

If they're good enough to host one of the Triple Crown races ...
Stop by Pimlico sometime for a partial answer to your question. It's old and I think qualifies as run down.

They host the Preakness because they've always hosted the Preakness. Actually, a colt named Preakness won the first running of the Dinner Party Stakes the year Pimlico opened (1870). Three years later the horse would have the 1873 Preakness Stakes named in his honor.

As for Laurel, I think traffic would be a nightmare, somewhat like Monmouth.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #28
classhandicapper

I didn't think Accelerate ran that poorly in his last race even though it came up slow. It's not easy racing wide into the 1st turn when they are moving at a pretty good clip up front and you are close to the pace. Plus, he was also off a bit slowly and moved into that contending position wide. Then he was wide again 2nd turn. I'm not a big believer in adjusting figures for ground loss because I think it's more complex than that, but this was an example where I think the horses ran a lot better than the figure.

What he'll do on the ship for Sadler is another issue. I have no strong view on that.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 10-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #29
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I didn't think Accelerate ran that poorly in his last race even though it came up slow. It's not easy racing wide into the 1st turn when they are moving at a pretty good clip up front and you are close to the pace. Plus, he was also off a bit slowly and moved into that contending position wide. Then he was wide again 2nd turn. I'm not a big believer in adjusting figures for ground loss because I think it's more complex than that, but this was an example where I think the horses ran a lot better than the figure.

What he'll do on the ship for Sadler is another issue. I have no strong view on that.
Accelerate had a terrible trip in that race. With a clean trip he wins much more easily.

And if he runs back to his Pacific Classic, he wins the BC by 5 lengths unless Diversify (who also had a terrible trip) bounces back.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #30
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

What do you think the odds on Accelerate win be ML and post-time, 2-1..?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: