Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Poker

Old 10-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Poker Coaching

At one time I seriously considered getting coaching on poker (Texas Holdem).

I had one coaching session but decided not to continue when I was not sure whether the coach (who is reportedly a very good player) had the skills and talent to coach me in a manner in agreement with my own personal learning style. (Subject player was just getting into coaching, so no track record of his ability to do so or the type of program he would offer.).

Coaching may still be in my future, but it is definitely lower on the priority list at the present time. Coaching is also much more limited when it comes to LIVE cash games (vs. online play).

Is there anyone else out there in PA Pokerland who have either experienced poker coaching or have seriously considered pursuing it?
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
MPRanger

Check into WPT online coaching. Very reasonable something like $25 per month. It's not in person one on one but it's still strong. You can learn a lot. And you can be sure the coaches are the real deal.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
Dave Schwartz

I know of one.

He says that he was the coach of the professional poker player I interview in these podcasts:

Dave Schwartz Interviews a Full-Time, Professional Gambler

Interview With a Professional Gambler – 2 years later

Perhaps he will see this and contact you.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
thaskalos

I've been receiving poker coaching from Tommy Angelo...and it's been the second-best money that I've ever spent.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

My biggest regret in life to date is that when I was in Vegas two summers ago, you were out of state. There's nothing I'd like to do more then sit down at a (low stakes ) no limit game with thaskalos and have him take my money.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
My biggest regret in life to date is that when I was in Vegas two summers ago, you were out of state. There's nothing I'd like to do more then sit down at a (low stakes ) no limit game with thaskalos and have him take my money.
Yes...I deeply regret that too. My son and I spend the summer in the Chicagoland area, so we can escape the oppressive Vegas heat...and also spend some quality time with the rest of my family, who have grown very attached to my son. But the day will soon come when the two of us will meet in the desert...and I assure you that the pleasure will mainly be mine.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #7
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRanger View Post
Check into WPT online coaching. Very reasonable something like $25 per month. It's not in person one on one but it's still strong. You can learn a lot. And you can be sure the coaches are the real deal.
Just to clarify, their focus is for LIVE game players, correct? I ask because unlike in online poker, live players do not have benefit of a heads up display which helps them to quantify more precisely and over a much higher sample size a given player's tendencies. And, I suspect live games typically have more players at the table (like 8-10) vs. online which I believe play a lot of 6-max.

I have been slowly working thru "The Grinder's Manual" by Peter Clarke which I think is very good. One has to try to pull out information as it applies to LIVE games because it comes from the online, 6-max perspective.

(Thanks Thaskalos for recommending this book!).
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
proximity

I take a lot of crap here because of all the losing but ed scimia's catching fish would be a good basic book for the game you're playing in.

the coach in question IS a very good player although, yes, i would have concerns about your personality differences and the pricing.

limp, limp, limp, QJ in the cutoff---- RAISE HERE to $14. ($9 pot plus $5)

Q high flop----- bet.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2018, 01:53 AM   #9
mikekk

Probably stating the obvious, but there's a TON of coaching videos up on YouTube. At the worst, it's free advice being offered...that's a good price! Also worthwhile inasmuch as you might find someone up there that you'd be comfortable learning from.

Personally, I have an account with Jonathan Little's coaching site. I haven't joined, but they have a free 30-day startup deal (and a lot of free material to look thru after that period ends.

Hope this is helpful

Mike
mikekk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
MPRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
Just to clarify, their focus is for LIVE game players, correct? I ask because unlike in online poker, live players do not have benefit of a..........

learnwpt.com is about live cash games and tournament poker.
You can't go wrong with them. Especially at $25 per month.

But before you decide to pay someone, check out this guy for free.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCog...GM4UDI0f3dM3LA

Name is Mark Ari. Kind of eclectic. Not afraid to call people out whom

he thinks are not up to speed. He specializes in 2-5 NL Hold'em.

Very entertaining. And good information.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #11
jeebus1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I've been receiving poker coaching from Tommy Angelo...and it's been the second-best money that I've ever spent.
Are you talking about the Tiltless classes that he does in-person?
jeebus1083 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: