Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #61
Nitro

My response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Open a modest ADW account so you can secure the daily past performances at a minute cost...and then study, study...and study some more. Use the sectional pace ratings...and see how they interact with each other as the horses exert differing levels of effort during the different portions of the race. Notice how the half-mile rating interacts with the final speed rating of the horses...and how one rating tends to decrease as the other increases. If you are diligent enough...then something in your mind is bound to click. When it does...welcome to the club.
Yes, by all means because misery loves company.

Be attracted to the HANDICAPPING rather than the betting in the early stages; only when you thoroughly develop your understanding of the game will the potential "profits" ever come your way. There are no "shortcuts". And if you find that the handicapping doesn't agree with you, and you are forever on a lookout for the next handicapping method, or the next "tip sheet"...then this game is obviously not for you. Accept this fact and move on to something else...lest you run the risk of losing your sanity, as well as your money.
That's mistake that many players have made. Of course it really depends on whether you're interested in making money or just trying to subjectively figure out how a horse ran. It's never going to tell you how the horse will run today.

Whoever tells you that money can be made without great effort in this game is either a liar...or he has something to sell you.
This statement is true from a "handicapping" perspective, but certainly untrue when one uses an entirely different approach to the game.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #62
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro
Whoever tells you that money can be made without great effort in this game is either a liar...or he has something to sell you.
This statement is true from a "handicapping" perspective, but certainly untrue when one uses an entirely different approach to the game.
Nitro, think of how many years of work it took you to finally stumble upon your methodology you use at Hong Kong Racing....How many different theories, analytics, systems and methodologies did you go through before finding your "promised land" approach?...Seems easy now that your locked in and loaded everyday at HK, but it always wasn't that way for the longest time for you, if you're truly being honest. A great deal of effort, time, energy, frustration and money was lost along the way, to be sure for any horseplayer, including you.

Bottom-line, Gus's statement is correct....Just sayin'.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #63
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Thanks for the nice comments. I always look forward to see what you say
You're welcome, Grendel
Old 11-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #64
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Nitro, think of how many years of work it took you to finally stumble upon your methodology you use at Hong Kong Racing....How many different theories, analytics, systems and methodologies did you go through before finding your "promised land" approach?...Seems easy now that your locked in and loaded everyday at HK, but it always wasn't that way for the longest time for you, if you're truly being honest. A great deal of effort, time, energy, frustration and money was lost along the way, to be sure for any horseplayer, including you.

Bottom-line, Gus's statement is correct....Just sayin'.
You know Randall you’ve made an excellent point! I can surely appreciate the difference between the methodologies even from just the amount of time that’s involved. What I really enjoy now is the ability to quickly detect unplayable races. Although I thoroughly enjoy the racing in Hong Kong, I do occasionally play some of the state-side cards where from time to time have some success: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148779

But don’t get me wrong there was a time when I did enjoy the challenge of handicapping. Unfortunately, as the game was changing so were the returns.

I agree (and did acknowledge) that Gus’s statement is correct – from a “handicapping" perspective.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #65
castaway01

My dream scenario is a buddy comedy between tone-deaf Nitro and constantly offended CheckMark, with Nitro trying to teach Checky his "method" while rambling in every post about Hong Kong while CheckMark tries to sneak out to buy tip sheets.

I'm definitely asking Santa for that for Christmas.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #66
Trips

I see a movie role for checkmark down the road.
The 40 year old virgin part 2.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #67
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
No part 1 hasn’t started yet. Lol. But it would be nice for me to be a famous idiot!
CheckMark is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #68
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
My dream scenario is a buddy comedy between tone-deaf Nitro and constantly offended CheckMark, with Nitro trying to teach Checky his "method" while rambling in every post about Hong Kong while CheckMark tries to sneak out to buy tip sheets.

I'm definitely asking Santa for that for Christmas.
Keep dreamin’ buddy!

You might also want to open your eyes when you’re reading.
Because I didn’t raise HK racing here, but you know what you apparently wouldn’t know a good thing if bit you in the face.

As far as teaching anything to CheckMark goes, he’ll have to endure all the pleasantries of handicapping (as described around here) before he could appreciate something else.

Oh, and BTW good luck with you wish list for Santa!
Old 11-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #69
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
You know Randall you’ve made an excellent point! I can surely appreciate the difference between the methodologies even from just the amount of time that’s involved. What I really enjoy now is the ability to quickly detect unplayable races. Although I thoroughly enjoy the racing in Hong Kong, I do occasionally play some of the state-side cards where from time to time have some success: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148779

But don’t get me wrong there was a time when I did enjoy the challenge of handicapping. Unfortunately, as the game was changing so were the returns.

I agree (and did acknowledge) that Gus’s statement is correct – from a “handicapping" perspective.
I am a handicapper...and the most I can do is offer opinions from my own perspective. It goes without saying that my way isn't the "only way"...nor do I ever imply that it's the "BEST way". It works for me because it fits my temperament and personality...and I advise that others adopt methods which fit them, as well. Of course, if people choose to disregard my advice...that's okay too.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #70
Nitro

Quote:
I am a handicapper...and the most I can do is offer opinions from my own perspective. It goes without saying that my way isn't the "only way"...nor do I ever imply that it's the "BEST way". It works for me because it fits my temperament and personality...and I advise that others adopt methods which fit them, as well. Of course, if people choose to disregard my advice...that's okay too.
Yes, you and many many other players are too. I think everyone should be entitled to state their opinions no matter what their perspective is.

For many people their rational is its “My Way or the Highway”, because even if you’re using the same approach it always comes down to an interpretation of what you’re looking at. You could also provide someone with winning selections time and again and be totally ignored. And that’s fine because as far as I’m concerned this entire game revolves around opinions and speculation. It really comes down to an individual’s confidence level, how much they’re willing to risk.

Last edited by Nitro; 11-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #71
thaskalos

Quote:
Yes, you and many many other players are too. I think everyone should be entitled to state their opinions no matter what their perspective is.

For many people their rational is its “My Way or the Highway”, because even if you’re using the same approach it always comes down to an interpretation of what you’re looking at. You could also provide someone with winning selections time and again and be totally ignored. And that’s as fine because as far as I’m concerned this entire game revolves arounds opinions and speculation. It really comes down to an individual’s confidence level, how much they’re willing to risk.
To me, it really comes down to how people view the game...and what they are looking to get from it. Some say that they are in it for the "fun of it", and don't want to put forth the time and effort that it takes to get proficient enough at it to show a profit...or even to keep losses to an acceptable level. Others say that they are "in it for the money", but they aren't psychologically suited to it...and they struggle for many years without really making any noticeable progress year-to-year. That's why I feel that self-honesty is a very important trait for the horseplayer to possess. We have to know who we are...and what we each bring to an ultra-competitive gambling game such as this. If the horseplayer doesn't know who he really is...then the racetrack is a very expensive place in which to conduct his "self-discovery" experiments.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #72
Nitro

Quote:
To me, it really comes down to how people view the game...and what they are looking to get from it. Some say that they are in it for the "fun of it", and don't want to put forth the time and effort that it takes to get proficient enough at it to show a profit...or even to keep losses to an acceptable level. Others say that they are "in it for the money", but they aren't psychologically suited to it...and they struggle for many years without really making any noticeable progress year-to-year. That's why I feel that self-honesty is a very important trait for the horseplayer to possess. We have to know who we are...and what we each bring to an ultra-competitive gambling game such as this. If the horseplayer doesn't know who he really is...then the racetrack is a very expensive place in which to conduct his "self-discovery" experiments.
I agree goals are very important to the more serious players. Unfortunately, on a broad platform like PA you never know what level of player you’re conversing with (except of course CheckMark). You’ve got some basic fans and some pros and the majority of everything else in between in terms of both understanding the game and the betting level that they participate.
How they personally handle the psychological ups and downs is probably dependent on not only their success, but on how much they’re willing to risk. So, it can certainly become an expensive trial and tribulation. That’s part of my reasoning for suggesting to attack the betting side of the game first, because (although I could be wrong) I’m assuming that the majority of players are in it to make some money.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #73
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Nah, he's hooked on horse racing at 16 so he's totally screwed already. (Note to CheckMark, this is not a joke directly at you but at all of us, no need to get mad.)
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #74
thaskalos

Quote:
I agree goals are very important to the more serious players. Unfortunately, on a broad platform like PA you never know what level of player you’re conversing with (except of course CheckMark). You’ve got some basic fans and some pros and the majority of everything else in between in terms of both understanding the game and the betting level that they participate.
How they personally handle the psychological ups and downs is probably dependent on not only their success, but on how much they’re willing to risk. So, it can certainly become an expensive trial and tribulation. That’s part of my reasoning for suggesting to attack the betting side of the game first, because (although I could be wrong) I’m assuming that the majority of players are in it to make some money.
Yes...the majority of the players are in the game to make some money. But in order to do that they have to take that money out of the pocket of someone else...who is ALSO in the game to "make some money". Whether we attack the betting side or the handicapping side first is of little significance, IMO; the important thing is to realize that we must bring genuine insight to the table which will give us an edge against the other like-minded players, and the onerous takeout. That's why I shake my head whenever I see a thread such as this...where a poster asks for an opinion on a public handicapper, or a commercially-available handicapping method. Winning gambling methods are indeed created...but they aren't likely to be found for sale, IMO. The individual player will have to do the heavy lifting himself.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #75
Trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
No part 1 hasn’t started yet. Lol. But it would be nice for me to be a famous idiot!
You’re 16 and already halfway there.

Last edited by Trips; 11-19-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote Reply