Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Most Shocking Breeders' Cup Losses

Saw this article from Lady and the Track about the five biggest upsets:

https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news...p-history.html

I don't personally agree with them but that is fine, it is an interesting topic. Without cheating and looking up results, what are your top 5? If you have to look them up they probably aren't that shocking. These are the five that stick in my head in no particular order:

1) Dancing Brave
2) Groovy
3) Rock of Gibraltar
4) Easy Goer (Juvenile)
5) Housebuster
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
Kash$
Veteran

Slew O Gold
Dancing Brave
Sky Classic
Groovy
Zizal
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

A friend of mine added Officer, I had forgotten him but it was a big upset at the time.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Who's the one who had the lead in the shadow of the wire and jumped a shadow letting the Filly win it?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Who's the one who had the lead in the shadow of the wire and jumped a shadow letting the Filly win it?
Dayjur
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
ManU918

I know this isn't going to be a popular one and the horse hasn't looked great this year but for me when Bobby's Kitten lost in 2013 I was absolutely mind****ed. Outstrip was 6-1 that day who beat him and should have been 40-1 and the second place horse Giovanni Boldini was 4-1 should have been 20-1. Outstrip hasn't won since in like 15 attempts...

Bobby was much the best in that race but Castellano gave him one of the worst rides I've ever seen.. 22 and 1 in the opening quarter... ****ing idiot. The fastest quarter in the history of the race and Bobby was so good that with 100 yards left he was still in the lead and ultimately only lost the race by 1.5 lengths.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
I know this isn't going to be a popular one and the horse hasn't looked great this year but for me when Bobby's Kitten lost in 2013 I was absolutely mind****ed. Outstrip was 6-1 that day who beat him and should have been 40-1 and the second place horse Giovanni Boldini was 4-1 should have been 20-1. Outstrip hasn't won since in like 15 attempts...

Bobby was much the best in that race but Castellano gave him one of the worst rides I've ever seen.. 22 and 1 in the opening quarter... ****ing idiot. The fastest quarter in the history of the race and Bobby was so good that with 100 yards left he was still in the lead and ultimately only lost the race by 1.5 lengths.
I think that was certainly an upset, just wouldn't put it way up there on my list.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
Spalding No!

No particular order:

1) Easy Goer '89 Classic
2) Riboletta '00 Distaff
3) Goldikova '11 Mile
4) Sightseek '03 Distaff
5) Kitten's Joy '04 Turf or Dylan Thomas '07 Turf
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
nearco

Ouija Board's loss in her 2nd FM Turf run. 99 times out of 100 she beats that filly.

Dancing Brave.

Don't think Dylan Thomas was a shock. Definitely the class of the field, but hated soft ground. Almost didn't run in the Arc that year because of the ground.

The sprinter from San Francisco (name escapes me). Bombed in the BC Sprint. Turns out later he had cancer, but still a huge shock on the day.
nearco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
The Judge

Without looking Riboletta comes to mind Surfside and Spain stole the show at large odds. What about Rubiano?

Horse from San Francisco was Lost In the Fog.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
A friend of mine added Officer, I had forgotten him but it was a big upset at the time.
Officer was the best 1 turn 2yo I've ever seen. With that said, he was a total toss for me in the B.cup. He loved the outside stalking trip with the swoop on the turn. There was a pro outside bias at Belmont all week and he had a bad post. Tempera was my bet of the day. Shocking losses to me were. 1. Slew o gold , bad foot and all. 2. Dancing Brave 3. Rock of Gibraltar 4.Riboletta 5. Skip away
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Easy Goer in both his Breeder's Cups.

1988 - Indian Skimmer - didn't like the rubber bridle and wrong way turns. I thought she'd stretch out and after beating Miesque and plenty of other G1 horses in Europe, I thought she'd walk.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #13
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearco
Ouija Board's loss in her 2nd FM Turf run. 99 times out of 100 she beats that filly.

Dancing Brave.

Don't think Dylan Thomas was a shock. Definitely the class of the field, but hated soft ground. Almost didn't run in the Arc that year because of the ground.

The sprinter from San Francisco (name escapes me). Bombed in the BC Sprint. Turns out later he had cancer, but still a huge shock on the day.
Was going to say Ouija Board but remember she wasn't right most of that year and was just starting to come back to form for that race. If i remember she went to HK and won the Vase that year.

The sprinter was Lost in the Fog. I liked him a lot too. He won a G3 the next year with a huge tumor in his body. I think he had an excuse. Have a copy of the documentary about him and just can't watch it.

Last edited by OTM Al; 10-28-2015 at 04:31 PM.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #14
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Liam's Map
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
depalma113

Rock of Gibralter in the 2002 Mile.

Sorry didn't see it on your list.

Last edited by depalma113; 10-28-2015 at 04:55 PM.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply