Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

131 TimeformUS for American Pharoah

Fastest figure of the year for all horses, fastest 3yo since Rachel Alexandra ran a 136 in the Haskell. Could he have topped that if asked to run? I think so, probably a 140 horse in my opinion.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Vinnie

CJ:

Thank you so much for posting that figure... What a marvelous event to watch. When I saw that the fractions were 23 and 46+ and he was moving along so fluidly and with that seeming effortlessness that he exhibits in that wonderful way of going of his, well, it was just beyond words. It truly gave me goosebumps. What an incredible gift this horse is all the way around. I believe that it was simply a blessing for everyone just getting to see him perform again.

WOW!!! A totally Resounding "WOW" is all that I can say.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

He cut back to a 13.5 second final eighth after doing sub 12 sec/f's on the first lap. No reason to think he couldn't done another 12 second closer and gotten into Spend A Buck territory track record-wise.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Grits

Possible to post the internal breakdown of the figures, too?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

1/4 159
1/2 156
3/4 145
1m 134
Fin 127

American Pharoah 131
Keen Ice 125
Upstart 124

I'm curious what EMD4ME thinks of him now. That isn't to bust balls, I respect his opinion. But the horse was in traffic through hot fractions and won with disdainful ease. I'm not sure what else he could do.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
lamboguy

i am going to go one step further with this horse. the day before the HASKEL AMERICAN PHOROAH galloped 2 miles pretty strongly. i am not questioning Bob Baffert, all you have to do is look at his record and it will prove he knows 100 times more that myself. so i asked someone and that works for him and he told me that is the way he trains that horse.

the training the day before the race probably toughens up the horse but also might take a little bit of speed away.

he didn't have the easiest trip, but it still looked like he did it effortlessly.

i never like to compare horses in the past to the present because there are always different circumstances involved in the way they ran. but if you did, you have to put that performance yesterday along with the horses that have been considered great in the past.

we don't have that many races left with this guy, but i think the best is yet to come from him.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Fastest figure of the year for all horses, fastest 3yo since Rachel Alexandra ran a 136 in the Haskell. Could he have topped that if asked to run? I think so, probably a 140 horse in my opinion.

Awesome. Thanks CJ, love seeing the timeformus for the top horses.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

This guy seems to thrive on hard work.
Four more races this year would seem to be well within his capabilities.
Really, who is out there to run against going long?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I hate to see a jock gear down a horse that much in the stretch...other than that, easy win...but Keen Ice got way too close and was actually giving me some hope for a second there...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I hate to see a jock gear down a horse that much in the stretch...other than that, easy win...but Keen Ice got way too close and was actually giving me some hope for a second there...
I agree...what is the point? I'm not saying scrub on the horse, but just let him finish on his own.

I thought this was a cool comparison:

Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #11
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Espinoza gave the Phans a longer photo opportunity, I guess, but I doubt if that's what he had in mind.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #12
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
1/4 159
1/2 156
3/4 145
1m 134
Fin 127

American Pharoah 131
Keen Ice 125
Upstart 124

I'm curious what EMD4ME thinks of him now. That isn't to bust balls, I respect his opinion. But the horse was in traffic through hot fractions and won with disdainful ease. I'm not sure what else he could do.
Now the picture's complete with the internal #s.

... As for EMD? If he's a wise man, he'll eat crow with a great deal of grace. Like I'm doing, following our testy discussion a month or so ago. Granted, I'm following your lead, (if you don't fly stupid with "I told you so".) He's incredible!! Still, he's got to win 'em all before he retires. Too, "we (as you said in the beginning) shouldn't compare across eras"--I remember your saying this, so be careful throwing up photos of he and Red.

What I really liked yesterday? Elsie's, on the money, observation:

"If he had a tail he'd be wagging it!"
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #13
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
1/4 159
1/2 156
3/4 145
1m 134
Fin 127

American Pharoah 131
Keen Ice 125
Upstart 124

That effort at Monmouth made me respect him and like him a whole lot more. It was to say the least impressive visually.

To me, it was his best race of his life. Better then the Derby, Preakness or the Belmont. As I've stated many times before, none of those races were truly once in a lifetime awesome to me. The Haskell was awesome, really awesome.

I want to see what Competitive Edge and Upstart do in their next starts as that will tell more. I don't really care what Keen Ice does in his next as I never count what a suck up does (in comparison to the winner's effort). Keen Ice was gaining on a foe who was geared down at the 3/16's.......

I never said I hated AP. I said I wasn't wowed by him yet. He gave me a good WOW Sunday.

I honestly do hope he comes to the SPA and gives me a MAJOR wow there against a field that pushes him a bit so we can see just how awesome this horse can be.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Surprised EMD thought of the Haskell like that. I truly expected him to come here and say easy race against a bunch of tomato cans..."just like I predicted."

What was so awesome about the Haskell? Compared to say...the Belmont Stakes, with all the pressure for the Triple Crown (his connections more so than the horse obviously), AND the 1 1/2 mile distance...the fast final Belmont time...the quick and steady internal fractions...

Yeah, he had the lead and had it his own way in the Belmont...

But how was everything pretty much NOT his own way in the Haskell? Except he didn't have the lead...but he's NOT a need-to-lead type anyway?

It was a cakewalk in the Haskell...a much less WOW of a performance than the Belmont, where AT LEAST he had to go a distance that probably was not exactly his best...

Curious to know what the Beyer was...I haven't read all the other threads on the board yet so maybe someone posted elsewhere...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-03-2015 at 11:11 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
That effort at Monmouth made me respect him and like him a whole lot more. It was to say the least impressive visually.

To me, it was his best race of his life. Better then the Derby, Preakness or the Belmont. As I've stated many times before, none of those races were truly once in a lifetime awesome to me. The Haskell was awesome, really awesome.

I want to see what Competitive Edge and Upstart do in their next starts as that will tell more. I don't really care what Keen Ice does in his next as I never count what a suck up does (in comparison to the winner's effort). Keen Ice was gaining on a foe who was geared down at the 3/16's.......

I never said I hated AP. I said I wasn't wowed by him yet. He gave me a good WOW Sunday.

I honestly do hope he comes to the SPA and gives me a MAJOR wow there against a field that pushes him a bit so we can see just how awesome this horse can be.
Thanks for the reply. I know you never said you hated him or anything like that.