Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 01:25 PM   #31
Robert Fischer
clean money

what a surprise

c'mon now

beating up on Bendoog is a little different from facing top class US horses.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:06 PM   #32
Sheffwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Since you're slow, I will make it easier for you. He said Germany AND Japan. Good luck seeing a German horse win a TC race.

I know subtlety isn't your thing so figured I would help.
LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Sorry, you aren’t going to weasel out of this one

You do seem to be an expert - at missing out on the most important trends
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2023, 03:55 PM   #33
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Sorry, you aren’t going to weasel out of this one

You do seem to be an expert - at missing out on the most important trends
Weasel out of what? No German horses are winning a TC race over the next ten years. If I end up being wrong, I'm happy to admit it. I do it daily.

Your reading comprehension issues are the problem here. You can't weasel out of them.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2023, 04:23 PM   #34
Sheffwed

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Weasel out of what? No German horses are winning a TC race over the next ten years. If I end up being wrong, I'm happy to admit it. I do it daily.

Your reading comprehension issues are the problem here. You can't weasel out of them.
LOLLLLLLLLL

You definitely have some “talented” opinions - you will always be the guy who downplayed the Japanese horses at pretty much the worst possible time

But carry on
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2023, 05:50 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
LOLLLLLLLLL

You definitely have some “talented” opinions - you will always be the guy who downplayed the Japanese horses at pretty much the worst possible time

But carry on
What have they done in the US really? They've had occasional good wins, but on dirt really just a bomb winning a total meltdown in the Distaff two years ago. Did I miss some others?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2023, 07:12 PM   #36
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
What have they done in the US really? They've had occasional good wins, but on dirt really just a bomb winning a total meltdown in the Distaff two years ago. Did I miss some others?
I don't recall ever downplaying Japanese horses significantly. I didn't love the winner of the F&M Turf...and she was also extremely lucky to win. She was also a fairly short price.

As you said, one impossible bomb in a meltdown hardly makes them super successful here. They may be in the future....but why don't we see it before we start declaring them major race winners.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:42 PM   #37
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
c'mon now

beating up on Bendoog is a little different from facing top class US horses.

https://twitter.com/jason_kassa/stat...76650303504385
I don't follow Japanese racing but the only horse that comes to mind was the antithesis of discipline.....Lani
The_Turf_Monster is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2023, 10:24 PM   #38
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
I don't follow Japanese racing but the only horse that comes to mind was the antithesis of discipline.....Lani
hey Lani was a neat horse.

had the humans in mind
Old 03-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #39
classhandicapper

I’m not sure what the Japanese are doing right, but I could see they were doing something right somewhere around 10 years ago ago. I’m sure there’s a post or two out there somewhere where I talked about it. I could already see that when horses shipped out or someone shipped there, there wasn’t a huge difference in quality. I bet several of them in international races over the years before they got really hot. Unfortunately I was wise enough to see it before the whole world caught on but not smart enough to bet most of them that won.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-26-2023 at 10:22 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2023, 11:54 AM   #40
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I’m not sure what the Japanese are doing right, but I could see they were doing something right somewhere around 10 years ago ago.
Even in the land of the Rising Sun
The color RED fades
And cheap BOARD degrades...

Quote:
I’m sure there’s a post or two out there somewhere where I talked about it.
My interns and I are pouring over your past posts as we speak...

Quote:
I could already see that when horses shipped out or someone shipped there, there wasn’t a huge difference in quality.
Very progressive & sophisticated to be able to look at multiple results charts and see that Japanese horses held their own on the international stage that long ago.

You have to remember stuff and you have to know that horses finishing in the front half of the field did better than the horses that finished in the back half of the field.

Just told my interns it'll take years for them to develop those complex skills...

Quote:
I bet several of them in international races over the years before they got really hot. Unfortunately I was wise enough to see it before the whole world caught on but not smart enough to bet most of them that won.
Yep. Sometimes you have vision while the rest of the world is wearing bifocals...

Of course, it probably helped that you must have had an inexhaustible amount of money given that even as far back as 1999 many a Japanese raider (El Condor Pasa, Heart's Cry, Deep Impact, Orfevre, Cesario, Dance in the Mood, Buena Vista, etc.) was bet down to the starting favorite (solely on your dime apparently) in international races like the Arc de Triomphe, King George, Dubai Sheema Classic, Dubai World Cup, Japan Cup, and American Oaks...

Congrats. Hopefully one day the Rising Sun will shine on us bad handicappers one day, too...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2023, 12:00 PM   #41
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
The color RED fades

Very progressive & sophisticated to be able to look at multiple results charts and see that Japanese horses held their own on the international stage that long ago.

You have to remember stuff and you have to know that horses finishing in the front half of the field did better than the horses that finished in the back half of the field.

Just told my interns it'll take years for them to develop those complex skills...

Yep. Sometimes you have vision while the rest of the world is wearing bifocals...

Of course, it probably helped that you must have had an inexhaustible amount of money given that even as far back as 1999 many a Japanese raider (El Condor Pasa, Heart's Cry, Deep Impact, Orfevre, Cesario, Dance in the Mood, Buena Vista, etc.) was bet down to the starting favorite (solely on your dime apparently) in international races like the Arc de Triomphe, King George, Dubai Sheema Classic, Dubai World Cup, Japan Cup, and American Oaks...

Congrats. Hopefully one day the Rising Sun will shine on us bad handicappers one day, too...
Your work on the internet will never get the recognition it deserves. Perhaps one day you can get an Eclipse award...or a sandwich. Something.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:36 PM   #42
Robert Fischer
clean money

Question Breeders' Cup

i once saw a potential advantage, and now I'm seeing closed eye visuals

of exaggerated tweets

"Japan has been developing a super perfect and pure program for 1000 years"

folks are starting to overhype the idea...

At this rate, the Japanese horses will be an underlay

we'll see, in the Breeders' Cup.

If they participate, and play any factor.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:49 PM   #43
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
The color RED fades

Don't you have anything better to do?

There's obviously been a huge change in perception around the world and on the odds board about the quality of Japanese racing in general and specifically [b]dirt[/] racing over the last couple of years (which is what I was mostly referring to). That a few Japanese superstars of the past shipped and got bet (and mostly didn't win) or that other people were also aware of the change means exactly what?

If it was so obvious, we wouldn't be hearing all the paid talking heads on TV and on social media making such a big deal about it now. They would have been betting them all along at bigger prices.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-26-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:58 PM   #44
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Don't you have anything better to do?

Usually a sign of admitted defeat in an argument. But with you...one never knows.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:05 PM   #45
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

Usually a sign of admitted defeat in an argument. But with you...one never knows.
There is no debate, let alone argument.

Perceptions and now prices have unquestionably changed dramatically over the last 2 years about the overall quality of Japanese racing among US talking heads.

His response was a wordy way of saying "don't give yourself so much credit, you aren't the only one that noticed much earlier". I didn't claim that. I claimed a lot of people didn't notice or they wouldn't be making such a big deal about it now on TV, social media, and in print.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-26-2023 at 08:15 PM.