Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 03-31-2023, 11:12 AM   #46
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post
What happened to the favorite? We were all vaguely disinterested, but no one was really guns-a-blazin' against him. Unfortunately I was more accommodating of him than the other chalk defensively, and got beat by just like I warned myself might happen.
The fate of Instant Coffee is another example of the limitations of both the super trainer takeover of the Triple Crown and the ill-advised Derby points system.

For some reason, Instant Coffee passed on the Risen Star after winning the Le Comte. With an off-the-board finish in the LA Derby, he is now on the fence to have enough points to get a spot in the KY Derby.

In 2021, the well-meant Mandaloun ran a similarly ho-hum race in the LA Derby for Cox, but it didn't affect his KY Derby status, as he had run well in both the Le Comte and the Risen Star. He then went on to finish a close second in the KY Derby (and eventually moved up to winner on a DQ).

With Cox playing musical preps with too many Derby prospects this year and the inflexibility of the Derby points system, Instant Coffee may not get the chance to rebound at Churchill.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2023, 01:43 PM   #47
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post
I'm pretty disappointed with the Jace's Road. But he has valid excuses, including Kingsbarns delivering on his upside, pace setup, and track bias—as many here predicted.

I didn't try to unwind my wagers when Jace broke the gate, but that obviously changed his prospects. Not dueling and prevailing for the lead may have been the optimal decision to avoid burning him out entirely, but that also suggested a much less likely win.

All that said, he came in third in a field of 12, beat by good horses that took money. He took a good bit of his own money in the will pays, and he even held on to third choice in the win pool—there was plenty of time for big money to move around between his gate break and the start. Probably deserves some credit next time out accordingly.

The Shopper's Revenge was really the only interesting longshot to do anything. Did what he had to, establish more forward position than his history would imply, which also saved him a bit of ground. The hit some traffic and may otherwise have filled the bottom of the super instead, but I'm satisfied with Shopper's at 20-1.

Hard to know about what the might have done. It'll be obvious he was compromised here next out, but he kind of seemed to get the worse of the gate break (the seemed to bust through a little cleaner).

What happened to the favorite? We were all vaguely disinterested, but no one was really guns-a-blazin' against him. Unfortunately I was more accommodating of him than the other chalk defensively, and got beat by just like I warned myself might happen.

Second choice over fourth choice exacta was no shocker, but it did include two of the most promising yet least proven contenders. And dropping the favorite boosted the payouts a bit. So it was indeed a good betting race.

for all the similar like reasons you would take horse a over horse b because the joc made his pref pick. you could do the same for dead horses not aking any money.

disarm was very live at 5-1 and caglio was 30-1. i don't know the final odds but at one time he was 3rd/4th choice in the win pool

on paper before the race you wouldn't think that would be the case. the 5 was going to take some money regardless, but hoping off the 7 in favor of the 5 seemed prudent because of it. it's a little harder to drop the 1 in favor of him, (but not really 2-1 against) following the $$$ is usually a good way to handicap

Last edited by boys at tosconova; 03-31-2023 at 01:44 PM.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2023, 03:44 PM   #48
Suff
Beat up 💪

Not crowded

I had lunch at Gulfstream today, bet 2 races.

Dale Romans

Seth Morrow , Capital OTB, down south for the Florida Derby

Old 03-31-2023, 06:59 PM   #49
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post

I had lunch at Gulfstream today, bet 2 races.

Seth Morrow , Capital OTB, down south for the Florida Derby

love it. Good Luck Florida Derby day if you play or attend