Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-30-2017, 02:02 AM   #31
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

This Should Get Their Attention

Trump threatens to end health care 'bailouts' for insurers, lawmakers

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...lawmakers.html

Trump gave McConnell, Ryan, and company several chances to get things done without his intervention. Now that they have failed, I like how he is applying a "little" pressure to them as well as the House.

Sharing the pain of ObamaCare is a good thing if you want others to help you get rid of it!
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2017, 02:20 AM   #32
elysiantraveller

What plan has the WH rolled out to replace it with "something great?"
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #33
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Something slightly better that was before the ACA, but in no way adding trillions of debt to our nation.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #34
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The GOP was doing this bill under reconciliation, which can be done with a simple majority in the Senate. I don't know, but I would guess that a full repeal would require 60 votes in the Senate.
A full repeal will now take 60 votes. 2 days ago it would have taken 50.
I will post the link explaining. I did not know this was the case until yesterday. Mccain screwed the other Republicans by bringing this (or fooling them to bring it to a vote) and voting against it. You pretty much only get one chance per session.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #35
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

You are correct.
Wonder much money McCain got for his vote, the SOB.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #36
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
You are correct.
Wonder much money McCain got for his vote, the SOB.
George Soros is Satan himself. There's no telling what he promised McCain.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:06 AM   #37
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Something slightly better that was before the ACA, but in no way adding trillions of debt to our nation.
Slightly better? I thought it was going to be something great. Furthermore anyone who thinks that plan was going to work without MASSIVE insurance company bailouts is wet behind the ears. Blame Obama for the situation we're in, I certainly am, but that plan was a complete disaster that would have cost the taxpayers tons of money.

The truth, as much as all of you can't admit it, is Trump is failing on a large scale to accomplish any of his campaign pillars. He will, most likely, implement some sort of tax cut but even he may be able to botch that up. His political capital is more in the red than the Federal Government at this point.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 07-31-2017 at 09:08 AM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2017, 12:42 PM   #38
classhandicapper

Quote:
Slightly better? I thought it was going to be something great. Furthermore anyone who thinks that plan was going to work without MASSIVE insurance company bailouts is wet behind the ears. Blame Obama for the situation we're in, I certainly am, but that plan was a complete disaster that would have cost the taxpayers tons of money.

The truth, as much as all of you can't admit it, is Trump is failing on a large scale to accomplish any of his campaign pillars. He will, most likely, implement some sort of tax cut but even he may be able to botch that up. His political capital is more in the red than the Federal Government at this point.
It's kind of tough to set a general legislative agenda and then have congress move in that direction when your own party never wanted you to win, is actively trying to have you removed from office, and has the complete cooperation of the opposition party, media, and intelligence community.

"Draining the swamp" was clearly not the appropriate metaphor.

"Leaving corpses rotting in the streets" may be necessary to fix this mess.

Once this guy is finally out, all thinking people should now be fully aware of how horribly corrupt Washington, the media, the IC, etc.. are and how the entire thing needs to be exterminated in order to actually make progress towards fixing some of our problems.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #39
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Repealing is more important than replacing. Once the nightmare is gone, we can address each individual issue, one at a time.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #40
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

Once this guy is finally out, all thinking people should now be fully aware of how horribly corrupt Washington, the media, the IC, etc.. are and how the entire thing needs to be exterminated in order to actually make progress towards fixing some of our problems.
"Corrupt" implies competence and bad intent. I think you are giving too many people too much credit here. There are some truly corrupt people in Washington, starting with the guy who may have retired the trophy of top dog, Harry Reid.

There are also a lot of people in government and the media who are incompetent and/or ignorant and who, as Obama once said of himself, really believe their own bullshit.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #41
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
Trump threatens to end health care 'bailouts' for insurers, lawmakers

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...lawmakers.html

Trump gave McConnell, Ryan, and company several chances to get things done without his intervention. Now that they have failed, I like how he is applying a "little" pressure to them as well as the House.

Sharing the pain of ObamaCare is a good thing if you want others to help you get rid of it!
Actually, it's a very good strategy since "others" (consisting largely of career establishment politicians) have no will to "get rid of it". Since Nice didn't work, why not try Tough?
Old 07-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #42
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Actually, it's a very good strategy since "others" (consisting largely of career establishment politicians) have no will to "get rid of it". Since Nice didn't work, why not try Tough?
Why not try working with Congress to begin with, as he promised to do as a candidate?
Old 07-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #43
boxcar

Quote:
Why not try working with Congress to begin with, as he promised to do as a candidate?
He has. Congress doesn't want to work with him. The Swamp Rats aren't going down the drain without a fight.

And besides...are we to infer that you are okay with Obama writing an EO to make a special "exemption" for Congress and staff members? You do realize that a special D.C. exchange was set up whereby Congress and Co. (illegally given federal employee status by Office of Personnel Management) get subsidized a whopping 73% by taxpayers! So...when looked at from this perspective, I think Trump would be keeping his promise by obliterating that subsidy -- all part of "draining the swamp".
Old 07-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #44
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And besides...are we to infer that you are okay with Obama writing an EO to make a special "exemption" for Congress and staff members? You do realize that a special D.C. exchange was set up whereby Congress and Co. (illegally given federal employee status by Office of Personnel Management) get subsidized a whopping 73% by taxpayers! So...when looked at from this perspective, I think Trump would be keeping his promise by obliterating that subsidy -- all part of "draining the swamp".
You keep saying illegal. That remains to be proven.

Members of Congress and their staff people were "subsidized" by the same amount before ObamaCare. Especially for the staff, it was part of the conditions of employment that both sides agreed to when they took the jobs. If this arrangement is in fact found to be illegal at some time in the future, I think that the government as employer is ethically bound to make their employees whole.

Obama may have botched the manner in which this was handled, but the outcome was the proper one. I have no problem with redoing it "legally" to make things right with those who work for the government.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #45
classhandicapper

Quote:
"Corrupt" implies competence and bad intent. I think you are giving too many people too much credit here. There are some truly corrupt people in Washington, starting with the guy who may have retired the trophy of top dog, Harry Reid.

There are also a lot of people in government and the media who are incompetent and/or ignorant and who, as Obama once said of himself, really believe their own bullshit.
I agree with you. Incompetence is rampant.

There are also a lot of people suffering from confirmation bias.

They form a view based what they want the world to be and how they would like to think it works. Then as evidence comes in they explain away the conflicting evidence or ignore it and focus on whatever supports their conclusions.

I just saw a headline on Drudge.

"4,300 Days Since Last U.S. Major Hurricane Strike"

How many people that believe global warming is going to lead to much more frequent and stronger storms are going to look at this and try to objectively analyze what's going on and why the predictions have been so wrong so far?

Answer: Not many. They'll ignore it totally or dismiss it as random.

How many people that believe most of the climate change narrative is an effort to raise taxes, redistribute wealth, expand government, and enrich Al Gore are going to immediately seize on this info as verifying it's all BS.

Answer: A lot

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: