Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-21-2022, 10:30 AM   #76
Sheffwed

Here's a real trend - TLG's picks yesterday

TLG picked against both Echo Again and Nest yesterday

now that takes some real skill

so if you are trying to put together multiple wagers, and TLG gets into your head, it only causes confusion and is therefore generally unhelpful

that said in fairness he did pick Haughty

but how are you supposed to parse through real insight and just picking an opinion for its sake if you listen and end up against two of the better performances of the entire meeting?

that really takes some skill
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2022, 10:42 AM   #77
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post

so if you are trying to put together multiple wagers, and TLG gets into your head, it only causes confusion and is therefore generally unhelpful

but how are you supposed to parse through real insight and just picking an opinion for its sake if you listen and end up against two of the better performances of the entire meeting?

I can only imagine how much pain your hate must be causing you this meet.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2022, 10:45 AM   #78
ScottJ

Quote:

<soapbox>

While he can more than speak for himself, Andy's selections are designed to do several things : call out potential value plays, offer counter views (on occasion) to Anthony's selections to provoke discussion, and yes, offer ranked selections. On more than one occasion, Andy has discussed the folly of leaving out heavy favorites (or the most likely winner) in horizontal wagers - Echo Again and Nest being examples of this. Hitting double digit horses in a horizontal only to lose due to skipping a 1-5 shot is a path to a lost bankroll. So, win ticket betting against the favorite is a very different practice from betting horizontally.

</soapbox>

Now, the tidbit.

How many readers actually followed Andy's selections yesterday during the early races? His second choice won in the first five races. Now, for those really playing horizontally, you know that this meant success in both the Pick-4 and Pick-5 yesterday.

Last edited by ScottJ; 08-21-2022 at 10:49 AM.
ScottJ is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2022, 10:46 AM   #79
myohmyjustify

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
But if it rains, it'll be a water Mellon.

Then an odor could set in, creating a musk Mellon.

That could also slow the horses to between a lope and a canter, sort of a cantelope.

Absolutely fabulous, ranchwest.
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2022, 11:03 AM   #80
Sheffwed

oh sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I can only imagine how much pain your hate must be causing you this meet.
I hit the pick 3 for over 1000 on a $36 bet a few days ago at the Spa (no thanks to you) and haven't felt the need to bet since, but yeah, lots of pain
Old 08-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #81
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

Speaking real skill, it sure takes a lot to post bullshit like your post after the fact.
Any effing idiot could pick a 2-5 shot.

A lot ogf them did just that at DelMar yesterday when Baffert's fastest horse ever got beat.

Are we expected to parse through his picks? Duh. Of course we are. Unless we are nothing but blind bettors, apparently like you, who needs someone to hold their hand and and tell them who to bet. Now that is real skill.

He gives us information, stats, observations, and opinions. WE take it all into account and make our own decisions. If Andy picked Nest and she won, would that have affected your bet, assuming you actually bet. It sounds iffy.

Where are you when his goods picks win, or run 2nd?
That is real skill, picking winners that others don't.

Why don't you start a thread today and show us all how real skill works in real time?
Old 08-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #82
Sheffwed

I'm glad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Speaking real skill, it sure takes a lot to post bullshit like your post after the fact.
Any effing idiot could pick a 2-5 shot.

A lot ogf them did just that at DelMar yesterday when Baffert's fastest horse ever got beat.

Are we expected to parse through his picks? Duh. Of course we are. Unless we are nothing but blind bettors, apparently like you, who needs someone to hold their hand and and tell them who to bet. Now that is real skill.

He gives us information, stats, observations, and opinions. WE take it all into account and make our own decisions. If Andy picked Nest and she won, would that have affected your bet, assuming you actually bet. It sounds iffy.

Where are you when his goods picks win, or run 2nd?
That is real skill, picking winners that others don't.

Why don't you start a thread today and show us all how real skill works in real time?
I'm glad he has his supporters, but I don't think its really worth defending picking against two major favorites who were both much the best (of the entire meeting), likely steered quite a few listening on a big day to add unnecessary multiples to their tickets

Mind you, I didn't place a single bet yesterday
Old 08-21-2022, 11:27 AM   #83
ScottJ

Quote:
I'm glad he has his supporters, but I don't think its really worth defending picking against two major favorites who were both much the best (of the entire meeting), likely steered quite a few listening on a big day to add unnecessary multiples to their tickets

Mind you, I didn't place a single bet yesterday
Let's try this discussion from another angle.

Suppose the selections were Echo Again, With the Moonlight, and Nest. Certainly, those were the three easy choices in the three races you raised. The total win collection would have been $5.90 for the $6.00 wagered.

Instead, consider these picks. Bat Flip, Haughty, and Gerrymander. Here, you have $13.40 in winners against $6.00 wagered.

But this is a discussion about WIN TICKETS and SPOT PLAYS only.

So, let's now say you played the late Pick-4 or Pick-5. You could not have hit without Haughty which after all is the whole point here.
ScottJ is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #84
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Let's try this discussion from another angle.

Suppose the selections were Echo Again, With the Moonlight, and Nest. Certainly, those were the three easy choices in the three races you raised. The total win collection would have been $5.90 for the $6.00 wagered.

Instead, consider these picks. Bat Flip, Haughty, and Gerrymander. Here, you have $13.40 in winners against $6.00 wagered.

But this is a discussion about WIN TICKETS and SPOT PLAYS only.

So, let's now say you played the late Pick-4 or Pick-5. You could not have hit without Haughty which after all is the whole point here.
Why bother Scott? He's a complete clown. He's also having a very rough meet rooting against my picks.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2022, 08:29 PM   #85
Sheffwed

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Why bother Scott? He's a complete clown. He's also having a very rough meet rooting against my picks.
Thanks for being so welcoming to the average NYRA consumer, exactly what the sport needs

And yes, you know best and everyone else is an idiot

I get it
Old 08-21-2022, 08:36 PM   #86
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Thanks for being so welcoming to the average NYRA consumer, exactly what the sport needs
Good thing there's nothing average about you, Sheffwed
Old 08-22-2022, 12:01 PM   #87
azeri98

Small fields the last few weeks, especially when they scratch 1 or 2 in a majority of the races
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #88
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

40 days too many?
I think so.
The meet used to be special. Not anymore.

And video continues to suck.
3rd today was the worst excuse for race coverage I have ever seen outside NBC.
Really amature hour at Toga.

Races are not worth watching withis chucklehead directing the camera.

Come on NYRA, this crap is beneath you.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:22 PM   #89
Brass Hat

Hope the security issue near the horse path is fixed for the big crowds this weekend. I had to visit the security office to tell them to get someone there after the second or third race last Saturday, when a family was walking down the horse path as the horses were about to enter it. Someone walked in front of Rudy Rodriguez' horse, the number 1, and he shouted at the person. Earlier in the meet Chad Brown's man had a similar incident and wondered where security was. I had told the lady with the kids not to walk on the horse path, she got offended and gave me the finger. After I told security and an officer walked out to where the incident occurred, he was very helpful and there was security there for the rest of the races.

They have seemed to be unaware of the issue for a number of years after they took down the chain that blocked people from entering the path while the horses were entering it. I and other people go out to look at the horses before the race and shouldn't have to be subject to abuse to keep people from hurting themselves.

This is the part of the track area where the "I Love New York" tent is.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2023, 06:17 PM   #90
Sheffwed

reupping

Quote:
I know this is controversial, but this is why Saratoga should consider adding Tapeta or a similar surface - too many cards end up unappealing on sloppy tracks with small fields - GP was smart about this (I prefer GP Tapeta to their dirt races myself)

Almost entire meets at Saratoga have been lost to bad weather in the past, then again Saratoga succeeds despite NYRA, not because of it

more controversy while we are at it - Saratoga should also up the minimum weights so jockeys don't have to make weight all the time - it doesn't affect the quality of racing - witness the exciting steeplechase race last week and see what the weights were

Saratoga should do all it can to be as ethical and high bar minimum standard on safety for jockeys and horses as possible and it fails (as does the sport more generally) though steps like no Lasix in Stakes was a great move in this direction

(PS I own horses a bit with the great Keri Brion, who prides herself on not using Lasix, and steeplechase racing is better for horses who don't get run at high speeds during sprint races while on injury masking drugs - the racing these days at Colonial for example seems much more well suited to what's best for horses, longer races, more turf, less cheap sprints)

I realize adding All Weather at Saratoga probably isn't likely and a lot of people would disagree

I do have to wonder if there's some way to alter the dirt track a bit to have more all weather flexibility

For those who don't like All Weather at all, I get it, but one wonders if recent technology might be worth a look (probably would help to look at Colonial's turf technology which helps keep races from coming off the turf as well)
reupping this, given this horrible Saratoga weekend that never seems to want to end

it's time for Tapeta at the Spa, and I've been saying this for a long, long time - it is safer for the horses, especially 2 year olds, and many horses have long careers running on AW surfaces - also off the turf races are much better than scratching into small field sloppy track cards

after today's off the turf debacle, its just one more reason

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: