Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
kingfin66
Bombardier

National Parks

In my opinion, one of the greatest treasures we have in our country are the National Parks. My family enjoys going to National Parks as much as we can and hope to one day see them all (or as many as possible!). There are currently 59 national parks in the United States. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the Olympic National Park, located on the north end of the Kitsap Peninsula in Washington. This park is just a 2 1/2 hour drive from my home, yet it is the first time I have been there! We spent the majority of our time at Hurricane Ridge - we had to choose as this was only a day trip. Hurricane Ridge provides an incredible view of the multiple mountain peaks located in the Olympic Mountains. It is simply spectacular.

The list of national parks I have been to now includes:

Bryce Canyon (Utah)
Crater Lake (Oregon)
Death Valley (California/Nevada)
Glacier (Montana)
Grand Canyon (Arizona)
Grand Teton (Wyoming)
Lassen Volcanic (California)
Mount Rainier (Washington)
North Cascades (Washington)
Yellowstone (Montana/Wyoming/Idaho)
Zion (Utah)

In addition, I know that I have traveled through the Redwoods, Sequoia, and even Yosemite as a young child, but I do not remember enough to count them on my list. My goal is to take two weeks next summer and visit as many parks as possible on the west coast. The east coast parks will likely have to wait until I retire.

I encourage everybody to visit at least a few national parks if you get the chance. They all have unique beauty (even Death Valley!). Trust me, you won't be sorry that you took the time and effort.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
In my opinion, one of the greatest treasures we have in our country are the National Parks. My family enjoys going to National Parks as much as we can and hope to one day see them all (or as many as possible!). There are currently 59 national parks in the United States. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the Olympic National Park, located on the north end of the Kitsap Peninsula in Washington. This park is just a 2 1/2 hour drive from my home, yet it is the first time I have been there! We spent the majority of our time at Hurricane Ridge - we had to choose as this was only a day trip. Hurricane Ridge provides an incredible view of the multiple mountain peaks located in the Olympic Mountains. It is simply spectacular.

The list of national parks I have been to now includes:

Bryce Canyon (Utah)
Crater Lake (Oregon)
Death Valley (California/Nevada)
Glacier (Montana)
Grand Canyon (Arizona)
Grand Teton (Wyoming)
Lassen Volcanic (California)
Mount Rainier (Washington)
North Cascades (Washington)
Yellowstone (Montana/Wyoming/Idaho)
Zion (Utah)

In addition, I know that I have traveled through the Redwoods, Sequoia, and even Yosemite as a young child, but I do not remember enough to count them on my list. My goal is to take two weeks next summer and visit as many parks as possible on the west coast. The east coast parks will likely have to wait until I retire.

I encourage everybody to visit at least a few national parks if you get the chance. They all have unique beauty (even Death Valley!). Trust me, you won't be sorry that you took the time and effort.
I have been to many on your list. Have to say I agree with you. I would love to see them all one day also. They truly are a national treasure.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
Inner Dirt

Crater Lake
Joshua Tree
Kings Canyon
Lassen
Redwood
Sequoia
Shenandoah
Yosemite
Zion

That is my list
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
Actor
Librocubicularist

I have a lifetime senior citizen's pass.
  1. Badlands -- twice
  2. Glacier
  3. Grand Canyon -- 3 times. First time was the north rim. Twice at south rim.
  4. Grand Teton -- Name means "Big Tits." Discovered by Frenchmen who thought that's what they looked like.
  5. Great Sand Dunes
  6. Great Smoky Mountains
  7. Mammoth Cave
  8. Mesa Verde -- twice
  9. Petrified Forest
  10. Shenanoah
  11. Theodore Roosevelt
  12. Yellowstone
  13. Yosemite
  14. Zion
Old 08-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
schweitz

Way too many to list. We have been on a 20 year quest to visit all US National Parks and National Monuments. Have also visited nine National Parks in Canada. Very few left to visit in the "48". Hawaii and Alaska are on the agenda for 2017 and 2018. Don't think we will ever get to the parks in the US Territories. Actor mentioned the Senior Pass, it's the best deal ever---$10 for a family for life.
schweitz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
_______
Veteran

My brother and I just returned from 5 days backpacking up from Yosemite Valley through Tuolumne Meadows along the JMT and then over Donohue Pass down into Mammoth (came out at Red's Meadow).

I continued my streak of never having seen a bear in the wild despite spending our first night in Little Yosemite Valley where we were warned of lots of recent bear activity.

The parks are our treasure. If you get a chance to get out of the parking lots or off the loop trails, do so. You won't regret it. I'll also put a word in for winter visits which are both spectacular and uncrowded.

Once I am no longer caring for my mom (she's 91 and will probably outlive me), my wife and I are selling our house and plan to visit all the national parks in the lower 48 before deciding where we want to settle.

A word about Alaska Parks: Many of them are accessible only by air and have no facilities. Like, no roads or trails. They are true wilderness. Denali is an exception but anyone planning on getting to ALL the national parks needs to think about bush pilots and living off whatever your brought with you for however long you stay. It's why we are sticking with the lower 48.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
I have a lifetime senior citizen's pass.
  1. Badlands -- twice
  2. Glacier
  3. Grand Canyon -- 3 times. First time was the north rim. Twice at south rim.
  4. Grand Teton -- Name means "Big Tits." Discovered by Frenchmen who thought that's what they looked like.
  5. Great Sand Dunes
  6. Great Smoky Mountains
  7. Mammoth Cave
  8. Mesa Verde -- twice
  9. Petrified Forest
  10. Shenanoah
  11. Theodore Roosevelt
  12. Yellowstone
  13. Yosemite
  14. Zion
That will soon be the Park Formerly Known as Glacier.

C'mon, have a sense of humor.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
schweitz

[QUOTE

A word about Alaska Parks: Many of them are accessible only by air and have no facilities. Like, no roads or trails. They are true wilderness. Denali is an exception but anyone planning on getting to ALL the national parks needs to think about bush pilots and living off whatever your brought with you for however long you stay. It's why we are sticking with the lower 48.[/QUOTE]

While some of Alaska's parks require air travel the following can be driven to:
Denali (as you mentioned)
Glacier Bay
Wrangell-St.Elias
Kenai Fjords
Sitka
Klondike Gold Rush
schweitz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweitz
While some of Alaska's parks require air travel the following can be driven to:
Denali (as you mentioned)
Glacier Bay
Wrangell-St.Elias
Kenai Fjords
Sitka
Klondike Gold Rush
Glacier Bay cannot be driven to. If you aren't flying in, your best bet is a cruise ship.

Wrangell-St. Elias and Kenai Fjords along with Denali are road accessible. Those are the only three. The others you mentioned are National Historic Parks which I think of as another category. Gold Rush is in the middle of town.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #10
FantasticDan
gelding

I'm ashamed to admit I've never been to a single one. But I did watch Ken Burns' great series from a few yrs back, so that's something..

[YT=""]mx8WbZIWCSM[/YT]
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2016, 12:53 AM   #11
kingfin66
Bombardier

It's never too late. I don't know where you live, but chances are you have one within a few hours drive.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #12
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

The following link might help Dan. Coincidentally, it showed up on my Facebook feed this morning as it was linked by a "friend."

The Optimal Route for seeing National Parks in the 48 states

Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen shot 2016-08-17 at 3.45.jpg (40.7 KB, 89 views)
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #13
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______

I continued my streak of never having seen a bear in the wild despite spending our first night in Little Yosemite Valley where we were warned of lots of recent bear activity.
Just make sure you never go to sleep with an apple in your pocket.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #14
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
The following link might help Dan. Coincidentally, it showed up on my Facebook feed this morning as it was linked by a "friend."

The Optimal Route for seeing National Parks in the 48 states
Nice map! I will have to backtrack on my earlier comment. The map helped me realize that most of the parks are located in the western half of the U.S.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
sandpit

To me, the government has only gotten three thing correct in the long-term:
1. The military
2. The interstate highways
3. The National Park System

I've benefited greatly from all three, but the one that's had the most impact on me philosophically, emotionally, and spiritually is the NPS. I was fortunate to have parents who wanted their kids to see our great country instead of the annual obligatory spring break trip to the beach or Disney World. And likewise, I've been lucky enough to do the same for my kids. There is nothing more fulfilling than seeing that same look of wonder in their eyes that I had as a kid as we gazed upon the incredibly majesty of the Tetons or the indescribable weirdness of the Badlands.

Because I own my own travel franchise, people ask me which Park I like best, a question I can't answer because they are all incredibly unique. I haven't been to them all by any means, but will hopefully make all 59 before my time passes.

1. Acadia
2. Badlands
3. Canyonlands
4. Carlsbad
5. Death Valley
6. Everglades
7. Glacier
8. Glacier Bay
9. Grand Canyon
10. Grand Teton
11. Great Smoky Mountains
12. Guadalupe Mountains