Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #391
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #392
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

How has the country been able to survive without all these essential gov't services that have been closed lately?
Old 01-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #393
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
How has the country been able to survive without all these essential gov't services that have been closed lately?
The country could survive very well without large parts of the federal government. I'd start by abolishing the departments of education, energy, and most of EPA. The issue here is that a lot of people, many of them smart and competent, took jobs in good faith and they are being put at financial risk by politicians playing power games.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #394
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The issue here is that a lot of people, many of them smart and competent, took jobs in good faith and they are being put at financial risk by politicians playing power games.
You mean like the same stuff that happens in the private sector? A person takes a job in good faith, and a few months later, the company decides to go in a different direction, or the economy tanks, and they get laid off? You mean like the real world, right?
Old 01-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #395
Clocker

Quote:
You mean like the same stuff that happens in the private sector? A person takes a job in good faith, and a few months later, the company decides to go in a different direction, or the economy tanks, and they get laid off? You mean like the real world, right?
You see no difference between eliminating a job for business reasons and using a person's livelihood as a political tool when the big guy pouts because he can't get his way?

Your last sentence implies a recognition of the big gap between Washington and the real world.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #396
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Pelosi Can Fly On Her Own Dime

ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #397
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
You see no difference between eliminating a job for business reasons and using a person's livelihood as a political tool when the big guy pouts because he can't get his way?

Your last sentence implies a recognition of the big gap between Washington and the real world.
Soon, we'll be blaming deaths on Trump and the gov't shutdown, if we don't already have a body count going somewhere in MSM newsland.

The collateral damage (whether temporary or permanent) of the gov't shutdown were not being used as political tools at the start of negotiations. They became collateral damage as the shutdown dragged on, but it was by no means the intention to get to this point, unless of course his plan is to start laying them off permanently, which I hear he could do if he wanted after a certain point in time?

The real world is the real world, be it DC or elsewhere. Nobody really has YOUR best intentions at heart except YOU and the ones who love you. That's it.

Those are all you can count on. That's what the real world has taught me after 49 years on planet Earth.

Why should government workers be treated any differently? I mean, they usually are in terms of benefits and job security etc. etc. etc. Now, the rare time when it sucks to be a gov't employee (and Trump is POTUS to boot), it's never ending sob stories about soup kitchen lines hosted by celebrity chefs who hate Trump....

Please spare me.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 01-17-2019 at 02:43 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #398
Clocker

Quote:

Please spare me.
You have your opinion, I have mine. Neither will likely change.

My opinion is that Trump and Pelosi have small minds and big egos, and are using federal employees as pawns in a pissing contest. I suppose to some extent those employees should be realistic enough to expect such behavior from politicians. But that's the price they pay for the usual security of feeding at the federal trough.

The grudge match is certainly entertaining if you aren't personally involved. Trump is more petty than Pelosi, but she knows a lot more about how to game the system.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #399
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
The country could survive very well without large parts of the federal government. I'd start by abolishing the departments of education, energy, and most of EPA. The issue here is that a lot of people, many of them smart and competent, took jobs in good faith and they are being put at financial risk by politicians playing power games.
Without doing any Googling, tell me what responsibilities the Department of Energy and the EPA have. I'm just wondering what you believe we can get along without.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #400
chadk66

My wife is on furlough from the government due to this closure and we’re both happy this is going on. We realize it has to happen
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #401
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

BTW, all those people pictured lining up for free food are dressed better than 90% of the people I see walking around Manhattan...including me...
Old 01-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #402
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post

Trump is now in FULL kick-ass mode.....I wonder what's next?...

ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #403
chadk66

One of the most awesome moves I’ve seen. They better pull their heads out of their asses now
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #404
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Without doing any Googling

I had a professor in grad school that gave open book exams. He said it was because life is open book.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #405
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
The fact that Judah says he is infuriated makes me feel all tingly inside.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: