Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

R10 Santa Anita G1 Santa Anita Handicap

The Big Cap.

Getting a bit overshadowed by the huge 3YO Derby Preps today, but this is a really really interesting race in and of itself.

When Mike Joyce (TVG) basically said it was a walkover for Effinex, I knew I had to play this race.

Point Piper: Has never ran 10 furlongs, and I'm not seeing him doing it today in winning fashion. Not even a pace player, and would surprise me if he even hits the board.

Melatonin: Coming in off a career best effort, he takes on the best rivals he has ever faced. A supposed turf horse at one time has taken to the dirt and presents an intriguing long shot in here. He looks like he wants more distance, and wouldn't surprise me in the least if he completes an Exacta or Trifecta. Tough to see a winner here, but weird things do happen.... especially at a price.

Donworth: That was a huge effort in the San Antonio coming off the bench. With a race under his belt as a 4YO, this lightly raced and talented colt will take on his toughest challenge to date. He has never ran a bad race in his light schedule, and should be a major part of this one. Biggest negative is I doubt Super Mario will be in the irons after his spill yesterday.

General a Rod: Comes in off a career best effort in which he parked the field in a $100K OC event at Gulfstream. A talented colt that just hasn't seemed to put it all together just yet. Is this his time? ML of 4/1 seems a bit lofty, and couldn't play at anything less than 6/1. Contender, but prefer others on top at 10 panels.

Effinex: This chalk's biggest claim to fame is his runner-up performance behind American Pharoah in the BC Classic. Yes, he is a nice horse, but by no stretch is a cinch in any race. Comes in off the two best races of his career, and a long layoff, and gets the "chalk" tag for fourth time in his (now) 21 race career. Not only do I like fading BC runners in their first race back, but I can fade this one as chalk forever in any G1 event.

Cyrus Alexander: Talented talented horse that hasn't put anything together as of yet. Tough to see a big change now, and distance doesn't look to be in his favor. Recent works are inspiring, but I'll reluctantly pass.

Hard Aces: Needs others to come up short to be a contender, and would need a massive pace duel to be in it. Don't see either, and a pass for me.

Imperative: In really good form right now, but hasn't won a race since the Charlestown Classic two years ago, and is only 3 for 29 lifetime. At a short price, he is really tough to take.

Class Leader: Hasn't fared well when stepping up in class before, and this is his biggest jump to date. Switches from turf to dirt again, but can get the distance. A bomber on the bottom end of exotics.

W:
EX: /
Tri: //All
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
azeri98

I like Donworth in here, don't like General A rod at all and Effinex is coming off the big layoff.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

great one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
The Big Cap.

Getting a bit overshadowed by the huge 3YO Derby Preps today, but this is a really really interesting race in and of itself.

When Mike Joyce (TVG) basically said it was a walkover for Effinex, I knew I had to play this race.

Point Piper: Has never ran 10 furlongs, and I'm not seeing him doing it today in winning fashion. Not even a pace player, and would surprise me if he even hits the board.

Melatonin: Coming in off a career best effort, he takes on the best rivals he has ever faced. A supposed turf horse at one time has taken to the dirt and presents an intriguing long shot in here. He looks like he wants more distance, and wouldn't surprise me in the least if he completes an Exacta or Trifecta. Tough to see a winner here, but weird things do happen.... especially at a price.

Donworth: That was a huge effort in the San Antonio coming off the bench. With a race under his belt as a 4YO, this lightly raced and talented colt will take on his toughest challenge to date. He has never ran a bad race in his light schedule, and should be a major part of this one. Biggest negative is I doubt Super Mario will be in the irons after his spill yesterday.

General a Rod: Comes in off a career best effort in which he parked the field in a $100K OC event at Gulfstream. A talented colt that just hasn't seemed to put it all together just yet. Is this his time? ML of 4/1 seems a bit lofty, and couldn't play at anything less than 6/1. Contender, but prefer others on top at 10 panels.

Effinex: This chalk's biggest claim to fame is his runner-up performance behind American Pharoah in the BC Classic. Yes, he is a nice horse, but by no stretch is a cinch in any race. Comes in off the two best races of his career, and a long layoff, and gets the "chalk" tag for fourth time in his (now) 21 race career. Not only do I like fading BC runners in their first race back, but I can fade this one as chalk forever in any G1 event.

Cyrus Alexander: Talented talented horse that hasn't put anything together as of yet. Tough to see a big change now, and distance doesn't look to be in his favor. Recent works are inspiring, but I'll reluctantly pass.

Hard Aces: Needs others to come up short to be a contender, and would need a massive pace duel to be in it. Don't see either, and a pass for me.

Imperative: In really good form right now, but hasn't won a race since the Charlestown Classic two years ago, and is only 3 for 29 lifetime. At a short price, he is really tough to take.

Class Leader: Hasn't fared well when stepping up in class before, and this is his biggest jump to date. Switches from turf to dirt again, but can get the distance. A bomber on the bottom end of exotics.

W:
Great selection on the winner Melatonin $34.60! Thank you!

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 03-12-2016 at 08:03 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
The Big Cap.

W:
Congrats Husker, great pick, hope u crushed it!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Congrats Husker, great pick, hope u crushed it!
Agree great call
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Quote:
The Big Cap.

W:

great call boss.. wish i was home to see it.. i had no opinion on race ended up betting a couple wrong long shots
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2016, 12:44 AM   #7
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Just got home after a long and great day.

Found some winners in my account as well.

Melatonin just rose up the ladder on my "favorite" horses list.

$34.60 and $13.80 prices in big races don't come along often. Just wish Donworth would have ran a bit better.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:59 AM   #8
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Just got home after a long and great day.

Found some winners in my account as well.

Melatonin just rose up the ladder on my "favorite" horses list.

$34.60 and $13.80 prices in big races don't come along often. Just wish Donworth would have ran a bit better.
Don't watch a replay of the race. Donworth was moving boldly and clipped heels going into the far turn. Possibly the winner if he doesn't get checked so badly.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2016, 03:11 AM   #9
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Effinex had a serious case of hives. Whether or not that truly affected his performance, who knows:

Old 03-13-2016, 03:16 AM   #10
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate
Don't watch a replay of the race. Donworth was moving boldly and clipped heels going into the far turn. Possibly the winner if he doesn't get checked so badly.
Yeah, I watched the replay. Can't wait to play Donworth back, but I'm sure the entire planet will as well.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I watched the replay. Can't wait to play Donworth back, but I'm sure the entire planet will as well.
It was very unclear to me whether Donworth took a bad step or clipped the heels of Melatonin....either way Donworth was definitely restrained for much of the race and was very eager to make the lead....I always wonder about racing lines of "clipped heels" horses...will they be sore or injured as a result of this?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #12
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
It was very unclear to me whether Donworth took a bad step or clipped the heels of Melatonin....either way Donworth was definitely restrained for much of the race and was very eager to make the lead....I always wonder about racing lines of "clipped heels" horses...will they be sore or injured as a result of this?
It was mentioned that the jockey was having a difficult time getting Donworth under control early on too.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #13
Hard2Like

that photo is makin me itch.
I had no idea
Hard2Like is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #14
sammy the sage

Much like when horses lose 100lbs between races like Super Saver or Orb or other's....they don't give a RAAHP's....
Old 03-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #15
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet
Effinex had a serious case of hives. Whether or not that truly affected his performance, who knows:
I feel like I've seen several times a horse run a less than stellar race and after the fact the trainer explains they had a case of hives as some sort of excuse. So my question is, how often do horses get a case of the hives & still run? Any examples of horses afflicted with this still finding the winner's circle? Saw that the track vets cleared him to run after seeing the hives, so is a vet scratch only brought on by lameness, or do they check for illness issues too?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply