Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #3991
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

this isn't a technical drop though....so why do you think technical levels matter here in the long run? Maybe in the short run...meaning a day or two...

Technical levels only mean something when looked at in the timeframe they are intended.

I see this as an historic drop in the making. Thus you gotta go WAY BACK for your technical level.

I went back to 2008. I'm looking for a 50% haircut from the all time high to the 2008 low. At a minimum...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-23-2022 at 08:28 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 08:40 AM   #3992
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
this isn't a technical drop though....so why do you think technical levels matter here in the long run? Maybe in the short run...meaning a day or two...

Technical levels only mean something when looked at in the timeframe they are intended.

I see this as an historic drop in the making. Thus you gotta go WAY BACK for your technical level.

I went back to 2008. I'm looking for a 50% haircut from the all time high to the 2008 low. At a minimum...
you party pooper

I believe otherwise....

We are dealing with a different mentality than the 1980's

Back then people were still alive from depression and World Wars and they were scared!!

Young people these days don't care ...the've never known shit like what we went thru....

Take my son (33) and has a 2 year old......whats going on now doesn't phase him at all

Even after me showing him stuff and He actually thinks Bidan is doing a good job...

So , if you have a job home food ....your good!!!!

Mike

Last edited by geroge.burns99; 05-23-2022 at 08:48 AM.
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 10:05 AM   #3993
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't carry positions overnight when trading, as a rule, so it really doesn't matter to me if my long term outlook is wrong.

Taking in the big picture though, a price needs to be paid for all the partying and excess and spending and free money that flowed forever...then you add in the whole COVID thing...all that money spent...the lockdowns...the economic and jobs impact of THAT whole thing....

We haven't even yet begun to pay the price for that in terms of the market, IMO...so...that's why I say go back to 2008 low and work from there to see where this market might end up.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #3994
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
the hedgefund Bridgewater Associates, just bought into these 2. SKIN and TRMB. i will be in on them and trading in and out of them this week.

the sharp guys have not been selling to much lately, gives me the idea that the market may take a break from going down now.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/billi...132818581.html
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 11:22 AM   #3995
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't carry positions overnight when trading, as a rule, so it really doesn't matter to me if my long term outlook is wrong.

Taking in the big picture though, a price needs to be paid for all the partying and excess and spending and free money that flowed forever...then you add in the whole COVID thing...all that money spent...the lockdowns...the economic and jobs impact of THAT whole thing....

We haven't even yet begun to pay the price for that in terms of the market, IMO...so...that's why I say go back to 2008 low and work from there to see where this market might end up.
i like the way you are viewing this in terms of time frames.

the way i look at things now, the US stock markets have been driven by 2 major factors, 1. interest rates, 2. the strength of the US dollar. so today we are getting a major uptrend on the basis of the news that the tariffs implemented to China going to be reduced. but still, on the other hand, we now have sanctions on Russia. tariffs and sanctions have a history of backfiring on our country.
the bottom line, for the time being, is that the move up today is just a bounce in the context of a bear market. it turns into a bull again if it goes up 20% off the bottom.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:40 PM   #3996
lamboguy

only buys lately

the CEO of Starbucks hasn't bought stock in year, now all of a sudden this guy put in 2 separate buys last week. i am not in yet, but i will be.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #3997
lamboguy

gold closed the day above the breakout level of 1849, it should make it to 2009 on this run..

i missed a good one today that i was watching, turned my head and the thing shot up, it went from 1.14 to 1.45 that i should have caught, but i wiffed.

after the market closed, i can't make anything of it that changed. it could go up for awhile and then come apart again. this sure looks like a bear market rally, but so far i have some conflicting volume analasys. i will try to figure it out later, but doubt that i will be able to with any confidence.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:01 PM   #3998
geroge.burns99
Veteran

After nice gains today and hoping for it to continue...

Looks like sell off after hours on tech stocks giving back what they made...

And the crap continues....
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #3999
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
After nice gains today and hoping for it to continue...

Looks like sell off after hours on tech stocks giving back what they made...

And the crap continues....
you cannot play any game that only lets you bet one side of it. if you bet games, you bet the favorite or the underdog, if you bet horse racing you can bet any horse you want.. in equity markets you bet both ways too. if you think that being able to bet both ways is crap, you better find a different game.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:29 PM   #4000
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

S&P futs gap down on the open by almost 30 points then push further down to -50pts before coming up for a little air...could be an interesting Tuesday I hope...

Snapchat is going down the toilet...nothing is immune...LOL

down 30% after hours...good luck

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-23-2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:31 PM   #4001
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
you cannot play any game that only lets you bet one side of it. if you bet games, you bet the favorite or the underdog, if you bet horse racing you can bet any horse you want.. in equity markets you bet both ways too. if you think that being able to bet both ways is crap, you better find a different game.
Imagine not being able to short...

That's why I only trade S&P futures. You never have a problem going short. There is no such thing as "no contracts/shares available to short."

The only thing that can stop you from shorting is a locked limit down market...and if that's the case, you should have been short well before the circuit breaker was triggered...lol

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-23-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:34 PM   #4002
plainolebill

I'm almost all energy and pipes, some fertilizer and chicken added to the mix. It's really crazy now. EQT, BTU and VET are my largest holdings.

I'm too slow on the uptake for options and day trading.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 02:21 AM   #4003
lamboguy

Quote:
the CEO of Starbucks hasn't bought stock in year, now all of a sudden this guy put in 2 separate buys last week. i am not in yet, but i will be.
this stock is down 37% for the year, completely out of business in some foreign countries and the CEO decides to stick $14 million of his own money in now. to me this means he knows the stock is going up.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:31 AM   #4004
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainolebill View Post
I'm almost all energy and pipes, some fertilizer and chicken added to the mix. It's really crazy now. EQT, BTU and VET are my largest holdings.

I'm too slow on the uptake for options and day trading.
i was touting Mosaic and CalMaine foods months ago. both have had big runs, probably more left to them. i never caught the move in coal though.

in my opinion, the biggest problem facing our country is the fast erosion of top soil. i really have no idea why none of our presidents this century have addressed this severe problem coming at us like a locomotive. those farmers have got to be doing something drastically wrong for years and getting away with it.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #4005
lamboguy

Quote:
just because the CEO thinks this stock is going up, the market sure as hell don't, and that is what it really comes down to.

so we already know that we are in a very long profound bear market that will have rallies all the way down to S+P 1140 (i know that is scary). so what we can do is try to pick good entry points on stocks like Starbucks and place our stops right underneath that spot. so i am going to put in order @ 68.63 and place stop .30 below that.

p.s. i never really cared for Starbucks Coffee. the one time i went in there, i bought a medium iced coffee for $3.75 about 5 years ago and the coffee didn't taste any better than the stuff i make at home that cost me about .30 between the coffee and the cream. what i do is make 2 cups at a time, with a filter that i paid $1.25 for 500 of them. i stick the one that i am not drinking right now without the ice cubes in them and black in the refrigerator until i am ready to drink it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: