Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Let’s hold ole Joe to it

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022...on-act-passes/

This guy is so full of it

Let’s make sure we check back in 2 yrs
Old 08-06-2022, 09:23 PM   #2
davew

they are saying places in Europe will cost 1000 times more to heat this winter than last winter.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022...on-act-passes/

This guy is so full of it

Let’s make sure we check back in 2 yrs
Well when energy is only available half the time... you only pay half as much as you used too. That is the part of Briben's energy policy he forgot ta mention. I mean who needs light and heat 24 7... come on man.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:53 AM   #4
boxcar

Just for the record, I wouldn't own a modern, "energy efficient" appliance! The government couldn't pay me enough to own the EPA-mandated garbage manufacturers are making today! Biden can take his rebates and shove him up his nose the next time he tests for covid.

First of all, we don't buy new appliances. Never bought a new one on my life, save for refrigerators, and that might change too! (But that's another story.) Appliances to us are like new cars: There's little value to them once you use them.

Several years ago, we bought a used washer and dryer from our favorite used appliance dealer and we couldn't stand what we bought. What a mistake we made. It was a more modern appliance run by computer so everything was digital. But the thing that really bugged us was that machine was programmed in a way that would not allow us to soak our clothes before washing. I kid you not! We went crazy trying find a workaround -- trying to trick the computer so that we could soak our clothes. After much effort, we finally figured it out. But we still couldn't wait to get rid of the machine.

And then the opportunity came. Our old dryer gave up the ghost, so we bought from our dealer an older matching Whirlpool set, which we love. But then just last week, the washing machine wouldn't spin dry any longer. So, we called our appliance guy and again, he picked up the machine within a few days had a new clutch put into it. Works like a charm again.

But the day the machine stopped working, our next door neighbor told us to come over and use their washer to spin dry our bedding. They have a very modern, hoidy toidy, front loading machine. After we put the bedding in it to spin dry for a cycle, the sheets and towels still felt pretty damp. My wife and I just looked at one another and rolled our eyes -- both of us thinking..."this is what passes for spin dry"? (Of course, we said nothing to our good neighbors.) But the point is: What is the point to such a poor spin dry operation that is built in to the machine? It's saving energy costs for the washer, only to use more energy on the dryer to get clothes dry!?

Anyhoo...we spent a little under $250. to get a new clutch installed for our older Whirlpool washer, so hopefully this will last us for many years to come.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

You would love our new appliances in our new house. They all have WiFi

They broadcast messages on the network in the house.

I thought it was kind of funny at first.

You have to name them in the setup.

Typical message from my Samsung washer is:

“ Sammy Da Washer says: cycle is complete!”

I took the dryer and fridge off the WiFi. We left the washer on so we can know when to swap into the dryer…….

Btw, they can talk to “Alexa” too…..nah baby nah…..don’t need that.

I did recently link my home alarm to Alexa though. As I’m leaving I just say “Alexa, I’m leaving” the 60 second countdown starts immediately. It comes in handy when you come home with your hands full groceries too……you cancel the alarm with your voice.

Alexa has something called guard mode that listens while your away and sends you messages if it hears glass breaking, smoke alarm etc
Old 08-07-2022, 11:51 AM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

With a good enough sound system, you can easily trigger some of those "breaking glass" alarms...I know from first hand experience on my "professional" alarm system....so I would imagine Alexa would be even more prone to false alarms...lol
Old 08-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #7
MargieRose

Quote:
You would love our new appliances in our new house. They all have WiFi

They broadcast messages on the network in the house.

I thought it was kind of funny at first.

You have to name them in the setup.

Typical message from my Samsung washer is:

“ Sammy Da Washer says: cycle is complete!”

I took the dryer and fridge off the WiFi. We left the washer on so we can know when to swap into the dryer…….

Btw, they can talk to “Alexa” too…..nah baby nah…..don’t need that.

I did recently link my home alarm to Alexa though. As I’m leaving I just say “Alexa, I’m leaving” the 60 second countdown starts immediately. It comes in handy when you come home with your hands full groceries too……you cancel the alarm with your voice.

Alexa has something called guard mode that listens while your away and sends you messages if it hears glass breaking, smoke alarm etc
I wonder what "Alexa" can listen to, if you forget to turn guard mode off, upon return home?

Personally, whether the mode automatically turns off once the alarm is disabled, or if you have to manually turn it off, I wouldn't trust what she still may be able to hear over a WIFI connection.

"Alexa," to me, is no different than providing your DNA to one of those ancestry sites. Something ominous could be in the works. Just saying!

BTW, wouldn't your alarm system automatically alert you and the police to the same noises?
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 01:25 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

The only green power that isn't far more expensive than coal, nuclear, and natural gas is hydro. Had a guy on another forum geared toward manufacturing that ran his couple man machine shop off of solar in No Cal. He first said the panels took up a lot of space, all roofs covered and more than that were free standing. He said the panels died after 9 years and had to be replaced. He said he did not pay for electricity for the most part, but he did have gas for heat. Here is the kicker he got over $230,000 in tax credits and rebates in 20 years! The system was not maintenance free, he had to clean the panels yearly. Also components failed from time to time.

He said even though the government basically paid for his electricity he would
not do it again, too much of a hassle, he will just write a $600-$1000 check to the electric company in the new place he moved to.

I never did the math on the space required for a wind farm compared to solar,
the only real "improvement" they have made in wind power technology is building bigger windmills. They are maintenance cost intensive due to the braking systems that control the speed. That is where hydro kills it. They don't need those maintenance intensive braking systems, and the water is always flowing, 100% up time weather wise.

Never take statistics put out by people pimping green energy they either mislead or lie, do you own research. A favorite game is deducting tax credits
from operating cost. Like the above mentioned machine shop owner would say solar power is FREEEEEE! Another BS statement is using 100% up time for the generating out put of a solar or wind farm. None of them seem to mention
the high amount of down time.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 01:35 PM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Just for the record, I wouldn't own a modern, "energy efficient" appliance! The government couldn't pay me enough to own the EPA-mandated garbage manufacturers are making today! Biden can take his rebates and shove him up his nose the next time he tests for covid.

Same here, I will keep my old dumb appliances. When they break, I can easily fix them myself, with just a common tool set and a multi-meter. Usually very cheaply and sometimes for free.

I have heard smart appliances with more parts, especially cheap made in China electric components don't last long before they break down.

I have a friend in Texas whose wife begged for the latest and greatest washer dryer set. He finally gave in and bought a pair. He said nothing but problems, he said he thinks he is definitely helping put the local appliance repairman's kids through college. He said one more break down and he halls

them to the landfill and buys the cheapest no frill set he can find.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #10
boxcar

Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun w/Modern Fridges

True story. About 20 years ago, our kitchen fridge gave up the ghost after a long time of service. We buy used fridges for other areas in our home, but for the kitchen we have always bought new. So, we went to Sears and bought a new Kenmore. That Kenmore quit working on us after about 5 years.

We went back to Sears to buy another fridge and voiced our complaint to a seasoned appliance salesman who told us straight out that the fridges are built to last only about 10 years. He told us that we had bad luck with our Kenmore, and of course suggested that we buy an extended warranty, which I basically think is a rip-off. At any rate, we bought another Kenmore. Late in June the second Kenmore gave up the ghost. Wouldn't you know that that Kenmore was bought 10 years and 1 week from the day the fridge died on us!? (That salesman knew exactly what he was talking about!)

So...we go now to Home Depot to buy a Whirlpool that was on sale for the 4th of July Holiday. We spent over $1,110. for a simple, no-frills 20.6 cu.ft, top freezer, bottom fridge. (And remember, this was on sale!!).

They deliver the new fridge and out of the box, the fridge never worked right. The fridge compartment was running way too cold -- at 32 or even lower. And no matter what I did, I couldn't get the fridge warmer. Since Home Depot has a 48-hour window to return major appliances, we called Whirlpool direct to tell them what the problem was and the tech support guy agreed that the fridge was malfunctioning. We had them ship another one out. When the delivery service that Home Depot contracts with came out to pick up the old and deliver the replacement, he asked if we wanted any extra shelves or drawers before they loaded the lemon back on the truck. He explained to us that they do not return those machines to the factory. Instead they deliver them to a place that literally crushes them. Whirlpool doesn't take back defective equipment. Apparently, it's cheaper for them to just destroy them! And this tells me just what garbage these new appliances are. They must build them quite cheaply but then sold to consumers with a huge markup through their dealers.

The replacement fridge works fine, although for the first 24 hours I was wondering if that one was bad, as well. But I managed get the fridge temp up to normal and after that everything finally stabilized. For the record, I also hate digital thermostats.

Now...here's the kicker. We have three fridges. One of them, we actually rescued from our next door neighbor nearly 20 years ago. We saw him taking this side-by-side fridge to the curb and asked him what went wrong. He said nothing was wrong, other than his wife didn't like that fridge and that they had bought a new one to replace it. He said it was in good working order. Since free is always good, we seized the opportunity and rescued the fridge from the garbage men who were coming that day to do their bulk pickups. We still have that fridge! And both freezer and fridge compartments work fine! And as God is our witness, that fridge has to be at least 20 years old. And I don't know how long my neighbor had it before they decided to dump it! It could actually be closer to 25 years old!

Of course, today's technology is altogether different. For one thing, today they don't use the Freon that they used decades ago! And today's machines are digital and computerized, making them more complex and more susceptible to breakdowns since more can go wrong. All largely due to EPA mandates. So, while Biden promises big savings with these appliance rebates, in the long haul everyone will pay up the nose!

This is just another scam just like electric cars are.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

True story. I have a fridge in my shop that has been with me so long, I don't know how old it is and I bought it used! Thinking hard I believe it was bought in 1990 as the garage fridge. I like my beer and soda barely above where it gets ice in it, it was been doing that perfectly for over 30 years. Since it has been in garages and shops it isn't winning any beauty contests.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:07 PM   #12
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Same here, I will keep my old dumb appliances. When they break, I can easily fix them myself, with just a common tool set and a multi-meter. Usually very cheaply and sometimes for free.

I have heard smart appliances with more parts, especially cheap made in China electric components don't last long before they break down.

I have a friend in Texas whose wife begged for the latest and greatest washer dryer set. He finally gave in and bought a pair. He said nothing but problems, he said he thinks he is definitely helping put the local appliance repairman's kids through college. He said one more break down and he halls

them to the landfill and buys the cheapest no frill set he can find.
All my appliances, are the K.I.S.S. kind. I keep 'em simple and plain. None of my fridges have an ice maker in it, believe it or not. We make ice the old fashioned way.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:44 PM   #13
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Were you sick of the fridge broadcasting,...." Ralph has gotten another beer,
that is the sixth one since the game started and it is only in the 5th inning."

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 08-07-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:54 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
All my appliances, are the K.I.S.S. kind. I keep 'em simple and plain. None of my fridges have an ice maker in it, believe it or not. We make ice the old fashioned way.

Your kind are dangerous when the freezer is on the bottom. Unexpected 2 liter bottle ice bombs roll out unexpectedly and hit toes with no shoes.
I had a friend's dad who would do that who I let stay at my place when he came down for sometimes long visits from Washington state when I lived in Cali. The local tap water I found nasty so I just bought 20# bags of ice.
He made the ice to take on fishing trips. I would always forget when Pops was around to beware of the freezer.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:06 PM   #15
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
BTW, wouldn't your alarm system automatically alert you and the police to the same noises?
Nope. Not if you don’t have the glass break sensors or the smoke sensors. I have the fire n smoke sensors but I can also listen in to my house anytime I want, via the Alexa app on my phone or iPad (that go everywhere with me)

I can check on my dogs via camera (blink) and all the rest of my cameras (8)

I can Listen to Alexa throughout the house, and watch my business all at once via my iPad. Bandwidth being available is sometimes a problem but my iPad is cellular and it works just about everywhere.

If Amazon wants to listen to my conversations, I can give a shit. I can turn off the Alexa microphones with the touch of a button or do it in my WiFi app in seconds.

Btw, I highly recommend the “Blink” cameras. Very easy to use