Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-31-2022, 03:51 PM   #16
foregoforever

The Fox Sports Day at the Races feed is on RTN as well. You don't have to constantly flip back and forth between FS2 and FS1. They also filter out those obnoxious Fox Sports Talk show ads.
foregoforever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2022, 08:57 PM   #17
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Is it easy to cast RTN you your TV?
If you have a Roku, there's an app available.

If you have an Amazon Fire Stick, there's an app available.

If you have a Roku or Amazon Fire-based SmartTV, there's an app available.

The only thing that times out my RTN on the TVs via the device/TV apps (re: another poster's comment about 2 hours) is when the track's signal that I have it on stops transmitting for the day.

No reason to cast from laptop to TV unless you don't want to spend the extra $40 one time only.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2022, 09:34 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
If you have a Roku, there's an app available.

If you have an Amazon Fire Stick, there's an app available.

If you have a Roku or Amazon Fire-based SmartTV, there's an app available.

The only thing that times out my RTN on the TVs via the device/TV apps (re: another poster's comment about 2 hours) is when the track's signal that I have it on stops transmitting for the day.

No reason to cast from laptop to TV unless you don't want to spend the extra $40 one time only.
The upside to casting to the TV is the website has better functionality than the app. The multicast is nice if you are playing several signals, and replay searching is much easier and faster.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #19
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The upside to casting to the TV is the website has better functionality than the app. The multicast is nice if you are playing several signals, and replay searching is much easier and faster.
Good to know! I will freely admit I may have used the website exactly once. Your info just means it's even MORE of a value than I had thought.

The only downside for me with RTN is they don't have agreements with Racing TVi for the UK/Irish tracks (the UK tracks available on RTN are through the TellyTrack South African broadcast), or Equidia for the French tracks.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #20
HorsemenHeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
Joyce was unbearable everyday.
There, fixed it for you. Can't wait for TVG's re-brand when he'll either be shown the door or forced to cover Chinese pickleball
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2022, 10:04 AM   #21
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
There, fixed it for you. Can't wait for TVG's re-brand when he'll either be shown the door or forced to cover Chinese pickleball
I enjoy Mike Joyce. It was always a pleasure when he came to Oaklawn to cover the races. Very easy to talk to, insightful about the industry, and a lot of fun. There are other racing personalities who are much more standoffish in person.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #22
HorsemenHeist

Quote:
I enjoy Mike Joyce. It was always a pleasure when he came to Oaklawn to cover the races. Very easy to talk to, insightful about the industry, and a lot of fun. There are other racing personalities who are much more standoffish in person.
He is clearly a nepotism hire and a Baffert ass kisser, like most on the network.

This softball interview with Adan Farias "good to see you back at the races" after being banned from Los Al for years for doping and laundering money for the drug cartel was disgusting

In case you need a refresher on this trainer's history

https://www.ocregister.com/2013/06/2...s-drug-cartel/

Guy should be out of horse racing yet the insightful about the industry Joyce thinks he has a place and that it is a good thing that he is training horses in a state that's supposedly trying to clean up the sport.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #23
the little guy

Quote:
Mike is a great guy. Extremely funny as well.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2022, 08:56 AM   #24
BarchCapper

Quote:
insightful about the industry Joyce
I will simply say that off camera he was not the "all is wonderful" mouthpiece that the TVG people are more or less required to be on camera. He's not in a journalist/news role on TVG - none of them are. They are PR spokespeople. There will be insights from some of them, but only ones with a positive spin. I don't expect a lot more than fluff on TVG, and I'm hardly ever disappointed. Since I don't need to hear a lot of fluff - I consume my racing TV content via RTN instead (to return it to the subject of the thread).

We know it's not just TVG. Was watching another track yesterday afternoon (on RTN - two thread points now ) and the announcer was talking about his selection in a race, trained by someone who'd taken a hiatus from training for about 5 years, had recently come back and was doing well (20% winners). I wasn't paying close attention but overheard that the trainer had spent time as a "motivational speaker and preacher" during his hiatus. I'm a pastor, so of course I find the horse trainer/preacher connection interesting and look the guy up - maybe he's got an interesting story, maybe a guy I'd like to follow, even meet.

Well, the most recent news items that came up in my search were from 2016, and included a mug shot of him after being arrested and accused of some missing money and some missing horses. As with the CJ McMahon attempted murder arrest in La. from early 2021 - there's no news of any outcome from the charges that I can find. So all I can do is surmise the nature of this trainer's hiatus. But that was not going to come from the track announcer - and I don't expect it to. It's my "business" to be in favor of the repentant being given another chance, so I don't know enough to judge the trainer's situation any further. The track mouthpiece was just handling the PR points.

Last edited by BarchCapper; 08-02-2022 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-03-2022, 02:01 AM   #25
KidCruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I love it.

Gave up my DishNet subscription with 5 TVs (at $135 per month) for 3 tracks with great resolution for like $15 per month.

Support is superb.
Hold on a second, "support is superb??"

I use the product and surely recognize its value but "support is superb" is as ludicrous a statement as I have seen on here. The guy that handles "support" for Roberts is renown for being one of the absolute worst people in the industry to deal with and that is saying something. Rude, unhelpful and condescending and I've heard this from dozens of people.

Please, no one switch to RTN for support because you will get none.
KidCruz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2022, 07:39 AM   #26
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCruz View Post

I use the product and surely recognize its value but "support is superb" is as ludicrous a statement as I have seen on here. The guy that handles "support" for Roberts is renown for being one of the absolute worst people in the industry to deal with and that is saying something. Rude, unhelpful and condescending and I've heard this from dozens of people.

I can only speak of my own experience.

Over the last 6 years or so I've had maybe 5 calls to them. Twice I left messages and both times got a call back in minutes.

Always the help fixed the problem.

No idea why my experience is so different than yours.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2022, 09:27 AM   #27
BarchCapper

Quote:

I'll note that in my year plus of using RTN, I have never had an issue needing support. Again, I watch through the Roku app, so it likely might be something that comes up more for those using the website.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:32 AM   #28
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I've had two questions over the years and both were answered/fixed promptly.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2022, 02:17 PM   #29
horsefan2019

Quote:
He is clearly a nepotism hire and a Baffert ass kisser, like most on the network.

This softball interview with Adan Farias "good to see you back at the races" after being banned from Los Al for years for doping and laundering money for the drug cartel was disgusting

https://twitter.com/TVG/status/1553168719492198400

In case you need a refresher on this trainer's history

https://www.ocregister.com/2013/06/2...s-drug-cartel/

Guy should be out of horse racing yet the insightful about the industry Joyce thinks he has a place and that it is a good thing that he is training horses in a state that's supposedly trying to clean up the sport.

They aren't going to ask those questions because they are the TV channel of a gambling website. TVG is not a news organization, if any of those personalities were to act as journalists I would bet they would be looking for a new job.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #30
jameegray1

Quote:

I email RTN support occasionally, usually when there is an issue with one of the more obscure streams. Without fail they get back to me within a couple of minutes.
jameegray1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: