Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:39 AM   #3661
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlivery View Post
Once more Home equity loan rates rose like most and it's having effects as low as 500,000 $ lines are shaking with a boot strap.
that is a great point. i have noticed that the promotional rates for HELOC's have dried up.. i was borrowing 2% behind the Prime and can't get that any longer. it knocked me out of the funny money and free money business. for the time being. all good things come to an end, and this one should have ended many years ago.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #3662
Tape Reader

Bot: .SPY220429P438@6.00
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2022, 03:41 PM   #3663
lamboguy

i have been noticing there haven't been to many short squeezes lately. that is probably i good indication that markets are doing a slow grind going south.

on another note, how in gods name did Biden find this Powell character? this guy looks over his head on this job.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:00 PM   #3664
lamboguy

seems like april isn't going to be the month for a wreck

i have been watching RIG. its trading @$4.50. you could step in now and stop yourself out ten cents below this close and look for $5.20
Old 04-21-2022, 01:48 AM   #3665
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

This aged well:

Dude just unloaded all his Netflix stock and took a $430M LOSS in less than four months...good going Mr. Professional Investor

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ackman selling nflx.jpg (245.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-21-2022 at 01:51 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2022, 03:20 AM   #3666
plainolebill

On a happier note, bonds are down: WTI and Natural gas are up - coal should be right behind.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2022, 03:32 AM   #3667
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
This aged well:

https://twitter.com/BillAckman/statu...60691519361024

Dude just unloaded all his Netflix stock and took a $430M LOSS in less than four months...good going Mr. Professional Investor
he manages to find them

there was a financial show on FOX NEWS on Saturdays with the host Brenda Butner and a panelist Wayne Rodgers who played Trapper on Mash.. his number 1 stock pick of the year was NETFLIX when it was around $25 per share. i actually looked at it and it looked good, but i never bought it. that had to be about 15 years ago. it went up and left behind lots of gaps, now it's headed full circle to visit the gaps and fill them. i would have never held this thing long enough to see $100 anyway
Old 04-21-2022, 07:56 AM   #3668
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
he manages to find them

there was a financial show on FOX NEWS on Saturdays with the host Brenda Butner and a panelist Wayne Rodgers who played Trapper on Mash.. his number 1 stock pick of the year was NETFLIX when it was around $25 per share. i actually looked at it and it looked good, but i never bought it. that had to be about 15 years ago. it went up and left behind lots of gaps, now it's headed full circle to visit the gaps and fill them. i would have never held this thing long enough to see $100 anyway
The thing that people dont do is....Think about the future

Netflix was the industry leader for many years......

Then came the competition ......

People should have been aware of that and prepare for the future

especially with stocks with high PE Ratios
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2022, 09:44 AM   #3669
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
This aged well:

What's amazing is that according to his letter to his investors, the 400+M loss on the Netflix trade this year represented only a 4% loss to the fund and only left them down 2% on the year...LOL

These guys manage INSANE amounts of money...the show BILLIONS is too real...
Old 04-21-2022, 10:18 AM   #3670
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

I'm not a fan of electric vehicles, nor of the direction our current elected officials are taking us with regard to many things, including "Green" mandates. But when in Rome, I do not say "Screw the Romans". It's smart to go where the Romans are marching. At least until their marching orders change to something a bit more prudent that I can really get behind.

Last year I started to look (again) at Ford Motor Company. I've had positions with Ford before, but I now think it's time to take stock again.

I bought in. Long haul. Moderate position. I think that they have it right with what they are planning for electric vehicles, both in the US and in Europe. And I like their projected dividends.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #3671
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainolebill View Post
On a happier note, bonds are down: WTI and Natural gas are up - coal should be right behind.
About 40 percent of my portfolio is in bonds. It's a bit painful now. I think long term I'll be in a decent position. Now it's not so enjoyable.

I do have a nice position with Coal. Looking forward to that ride.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:06 AM   #3672
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
This aged well:

He got off cheap then. He lost almost $1 Billion on Herbalife and Icahn made the same amount. Some of his moves are head-scratchers, putting Ron Johnson in charge of JC Penney's, Valeant Pharm.(likely a criminal enterprise) & Borders books(bankrupt). All of these lost as much or double the Netflix loss. But he's showing improvement by losing on Netflix in less than half the time the others took.
Old 04-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #3673
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly View Post
About 40 percent of my portfolio is in bonds. It's a bit painful now. I think long term I'll be in a decent position. Now it's not so enjoyable.

I do have a nice position with Coal. Looking forward to that ride.

I'm still buying bonds and bond funds as fast as the broker will cash my checks.

The yield on some of these things at these prices is enough to outpace the market for years to come if the economy isn't as good as the market thinks. Sure you'll have to wait a long time for the value of the underlying bonds to move upward again, but it will. Rates need to rise to get the inflation under control, but in general, the world is now addicted to low rates, and so I'd bet on the raising cycle being as short as the fed can possibly get away with.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2022, 03:57 PM   #3674
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

That was an impressive dump today...dropped about 120 points from the high of the day today on the S&P...
Old 04-21-2022, 05:45 PM   #3675
MooseDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
on another note, how in gods name did Biden find this Powell character? this guy looks over his head on this job.
Umm...Powell was a Trump appointee...
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: