Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
The Hawk

NYRA Finished After Saratoga

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...U181FjKqojxjfN
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
“The hope is to bring entirely new blood onto the board, people who perhaps know more about horse racing outside New York rather than the current group that’s been very insular,” the source continued.

So let's dilute NYRA with other people from jurisdictions that fail to come close to the standards for quality racing NYRA has set.

Sounds like a plan.
Btw, the guy has an appropriate name.
Very appropriate.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

When it comes to headlines, The Hawk might be worse than Dicker...

Let's have fun with this "story"...start out with Dicker's first graph:
Quote:
Gov. Cuomo will put the New York Racing Association out of its scandal-scarred misery “promptly” after the historic Saratoga Race Track meet that begins this Friday, The Post has learned.
...then, just a little later in the story we find this gem...
Quote:
The new law gives Cuomo eight appointments on the board, the legislative leaders get four and NYRA itself just five.
Oh wait...there's that pesky acronym again...NYRA...but I thought, according to you, they were finished, and according to Dicker, they were being put out of their misery.

This story by Dicker made me laugh out loud a number of times...let's each enjoy a hearty chortle with some choice cuts...
Quote:
The source said Cuomo’s office has been flooded with experienced racing hands interested in being appointed to the board.
Dicker makes this sound like it's a GOOD thing... What a poor, little naive one he is...
Quote:
Among those under consideration for appointment: celebrity chef and TV personality Bobby Flay, a thoroughbred-racehorse owner.
Oh yes, he must be the very definition of EXPERIENCED RACING HAND...nothing against Mr. Flay, but come on...REALLY?
Quote:
“The hope is to bring entirely new blood onto the board, people who perhaps know more about horse racing outside New York rather than the current group that’s been very insular,” the source continued.
Hey, why not go all the way and extend the search into Mexico and Canada while we're at it...
Quote:
“There are some former executives from Churchill Downs [in Kentucky], as well as other prominent racing venues,” according to the source.
Note the word FORMER...

And last but not least, the most interesting three straight graphs in the whole "story:"
Quote:
“As soon as the season ends, the shift will be promptly made. The feeling was this is a high-profile racing meet about to get under way, so we didn’t want to interrupt it or create uncertainty going into the season.

“The focus right now should be on the Saratoga season,” the source continued.

Current NYRA President/CEO Ellen McClain will be fired as part of the transformation as soon as the meet ends on Sept. 3, the source said.
Ah yes, nothing says don't interrupt or create uncertainty more than letting the President/CEO know through a news leak that she's out of a job after the meet ends...

BTW, I'm a betting man, and I bet, that although McClain will indeed lose her CEO status (Cuomo basically let that be known when he feigned outrage at her appointment), I seriously doubt she'll be let go completely. But hey, I guess Dicker had to write something...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
bigmack

Quote:
Current NYRA President/CEO Ellen McClain will be fired as part of the transformation as soon as the meet ends on Sept. 3, the source said.
Some, like OTM Al, might wonder if Cuomo is taking such action as a result of her being a woman. Or, now get this, because she's black. Let's assume both.

What a misogynistic bigot, that Cuomo.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
aaron

Just curious,but who ran the race tracks in NY before NYRA ? Were they privately run and if so,why was NYRA established ? The tracks had to be profitable 50 years ago. Just curious about the history.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Dave Schwartz

PA & OTM,

(I am asking you because both of you seem to be so close to the issue.)

Does the article really mean that NYRA will get new leadership/governance?

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
PA & OTM,

(I am asking you because both of you seem to be so close to the issue.)

Does the article really mean that NYRA will get new leadership/governance?

Dave
If by leadership, you mean a new CEO (and whomever he or she chooses to bring along with her), yes. And if by governance, they've basically been governed by NYS since inception...so nothing really changes much there IMO, even with a newly stacked against them (12-5) board of directors.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
When it comes to headlines, The Hawk might be worse than Dicker...
Gov. Cuomo will put the New York Racing Association out of its scandal-scarred misery “promptly” after the historic Saratoga Race Track meet that begins this Friday, The Post has learned.

"NYRA Finished After Saratoga" doesn't sum it up? Racing in NY will of course go on; The NY Racing Association as we know it will be kaput. You may not agree with the story, but that's what the story says.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk

"NYRA Finished After Saratoga" doesn't sum it up? Racing in NY will of course go on; The NY Racing Association as we know it will be kaput. You may not agree with the story, but that's what the story says.
Someone seems to be missing the part of Cuomo's legislation that states control goes back to NYRA after three years. You don't think the state would ignore a sunset clause, do you?
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

Your own linked-to story states NYRA will still have five seats on the board. Plus what OTM Al says.

How exactly does that equate to "NYRA finished?" How exactly are they being "put out of their misery?"

Sounds like both you and Dicker are way off, even going by Dicker's own "story."
Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
Just curious,but who ran the race tracks in NY before NYRA ? Were they privately run and if so,why was NYRA established ? The tracks had to be profitable 50 years ago. Just curious about the history.
It was in the 50s when what became NYRA was founded. Don't remember off hand the names of all the organizations but Saratoga was long run by the Saratoga Association. If you go in the Nelson ave entrance you can still see a SA logo on the paved area. Anyway they got all three current tracks plus the Jamaica track at the time, the latter being closed immediately. They had to buy out the stockholders of the tracks which lead to the contention that they indeed did own the tracks.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
The Hawk

Quote:
Your own linked-to story states NYRA will still have five seats on the board. Plus what OTM Al says.

How exactly does that equate to "NYRA finished?" How exactly are they being "put out of their misery?"

Sounds like both you and Dicker are way off, even going by Dicker's own "story."
Sorry, my fault, I forgot the local rules here:

1) NYRA is ALWAYS great

2) If NYRA isn't so great, see rule one.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Sorry, my fault, I forgot the local rules here:

1) NYRA is ALWAYS great

2) If NYRA isn't so great, see rule one.
So you'd rather avoid what I wrote and take it personal.

What did I write that was worthy of such a response? Is it because I don't agree with you and present to you pieces of the story you linked to that backs my argument?

Tremendous response...way to defend your position.

What exactly is your position anyway? Do you not agree with what I wrote? How can you not? It's entirely fact-based.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-16-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:

The five seats must also come from the current NYRA board appointees as well as any replacements should one no longer be able to serve. Doesn't much sound like sweeping out the so called blue bloods does it
Old 07-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The NY Post Article
So, do they know who is going to put the scandal-scarred New York State Government out of its misery?
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply