Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-14-2020, 02:23 AM   #16
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Just because Fonner is raking it in when it's one of the few games in town, doesn't mean people will continue to bet it when others start coming back online.
The reason their deal with the ADW's is so poor for them. They will be forgotten by the majority of players once they are back to running weekends with other competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post
I dont know if Fonner is raking it in. I read somewhere and dont recall where but Fonner Parks deals with ADW's is not good. Any track makes more from a live handle, plus admission and concessions than other ways.
I would not say raking it in, but paying the bills. Better than putting another nail in the coffin for Nebraska racing.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #17
Waquoit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbeast View Post
Given this evidence,why should racing in the future be structured to funnel a heavily disproportionate amount of money toward the top of the chain,sort of trickle up?
Bigger purses get more owners into the game.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #18
djm1959

fonner is garbage,,id be happy for finger lakes for sure
djm1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I watch all the races, nothing else to do. I've even bet a few and somehow have eked out a small + ROI while betting peanuts. But I could never take this place seriously for one reason. The jockeys absolutely stink. They all look terrible on a horse and I can't imagine they would win a race at any mid-level track, let alone a good one.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #20
Appy

Good point CJ. But I think playing Fonner is no different than playing any other track in that the more familiar you are with that track and the connections running there the higher your success rate will be. Just as important is keeping track of the horses on site. The timed workouts are posted on a bulletin board in the racing office fresh every day. Those can be enlightening, especially when horses are worked in company. Being at the track early in the mornings is also a good practice as it enables you to observe trainers and make note of the methodology they follow, let alone personal observation of how each horse performs.
I didn't even have the card for GPX Sunday, but capped just off what I know of how things tend to go there and what I could see on the entries/connections/sireline/live odds race page shown on my ADW site. I came out with a healthy winning day without all the advantages of using software/database/etal. Wouldn't want to make a habit of that, but it worked Sunday...even though I only capped but DNP.
Playing blind is the surest path to ruin you could adopt.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #21
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I watch all the races, nothing else to do. I've even bet a few and somehow have eked out a small + ROI while betting peanuts. But I could never take this place seriously for one reason. The jockeys absolutely stink. They all look terrible on a horse and I can't imagine they would win a race at any mid-level track, let alone a good one.
Stinky jocks or not, how does one explain the ride on J Train in the 1st last Monday (4/6)?

Somebody brought this race to my attention just now, so I looked on the board here to see if it was brought up...couldn't find anything.

The ride on that 9-5 horse would be a reason not to bet Fonner when other tracks open back up, that's for sure.

Somebody even thought enough about this race to put it on YouTube:

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-14-2020 at 03:06 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #22
jay68802

Want to see bad rides at Fonner? Just wait till the track gets some moisture and the jockeys say it is "unsafe", then Management tells them to race. After watching that you will think J Train was ridden by Mike Smith.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #23
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It reminds me of CT circa 1998, but CT had a better jockey colony.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #24
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Stinky jocks or not, how does one explain the ride on J Train in the 1st last Monday (4/6)?

Definitely looked bad on the horse, and never tried to win. Was not at all 'territorial'. Never set the into a drive.

I can't tell. It's fairly likely the horse and rider were just goof-balls. At least he held 2nd.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #25
wisconsin

I, too, have noticed that the jocks at Fonner don't try. Watch any race from Tampa, for instance where jocks on the hopeless runners still go balls to the walls trying.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Stinky jocks or not, how does one explain the ride on J Train in the 1st last Monday (4/6)?...
I was trying to be nice. I've seen a lot of this. Some of the riders are so bad I can't tell if they aren't trying or if they are just terrible.

Who are these jockeys? Fonner is a small track that runs a pretty short meet. Do they ride elsewhere? I can't imagine they could be jockeys on literally any other circuit, not if they want to eat. So what else do they do?

Suddenly they have huge pools so there is certainly incentive for some chicanery. Whether that is going on I have no idea, but I at least know what I'm getting into when I put a few bucks in the pool. That is why it is only a few bucks.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #27
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I don't usually play tracks like Fonner, but I notice that they seem to run a lot of geldings there, almost Hong Kong-like. Tomorrow’s last and feature race, The Dowd Mile, has a field of ten, nine are geldings, including the top two favorites, Mr Tickle and Blue Harbor, both 8-yr-old geldings. There’s also a nine and a ten year old gelding in the field. This is pretty cool IMO.

I would love to see the sport here in the U.S. take on the Hong Kong model so that horses stay on the track longer. Horses like Kelso that stay around and win year after year are one of the best way to attract new fans.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #28
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I don't usually play tracks like Fonner, but I notice that they seem to run a lot of geldings there, almost Hong Kong-like. Tomorrow’s last and feature race, The Dowd Mile, has a field of ten, nine are geldings, including the top two favorites, Mr Tickle and Blue Harbor, both 8-yr-old geldings. There’s also a nine and a ten year old gelding in the field. This is pretty cool IMO.

I would love to see the sport here in the U.S. take on the Hong Kong model so that horses stay on the track longer. Horses like Kelso that stay around and win year after year are one of the best way to attract new fans.
Never thought I'd see Kelso and Fonner Park horses mentioned together.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #29
Boomer

Quote:

Somebody brought this race to my attention just now, so I looked on the board here to see if it was brought up...couldn't find anything.

The ride on that 9-5 horse would be a reason not to bet Fonner when other tracks open back up, that's for sure.

Somebody even thought enough about this race to put it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaTSlu-h5YQ

Below was my pre-race analysis of this race. Only 2 horses had any shot as the rest were awful. The winner was actually the odds on favorite and I also commented the $8.60 exacta was generous. I thought J Train was green and not intentionally held as it was his third LT race. But I could be wrong.

That being said, huge handles, huge carry-overs and tiny purses are a recipe for problems and the racing the last couple of weeks has been marred by non efforts. One of the leading jocks who will remain nameless but is always bet down has been floundering in the outside lanes despite a pronounced inside speed bias. Yesterday he appeared dead on every mount.

Like they used to do in my Monticllo Raceway days, buy a driver to simply go dead for the entire card. Much easier than race by race.

#2 Jtrain will get my Win money in what appears to be a 2 horse race. Better odds and more upside than #4
#4 Mr Big Shot....box with #2 in Exacta
2w ex box 24 dd 24/245
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #30
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
That being said, huge handles, huge carry-overs and tiny purses are a recipe for problems and the racing the last couple of weeks has been marred by non efforts.
This is what I was trying to say, but you did it much better.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: