Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
ALL CIRCUITS GO

Saratoga teller "Its only a nickel"

Made my annual trip to the Spa this weekend. Leaving Sunday after the 8th race. went to cash in my tickets. As you may know, there is a shed row of machines that accept bets, and maybe 2 actual cashiers manning stations to cash out or purchase vouchers.

My ticket is for $71.55 . Only I know whether this represents a profit or loss for me. Cashier gives me $71 and says: "That's all I can give you. I have no change." I look at her and ask if she can get change from the teller next to her. She gets 4 quarters from him. She holds out her hand and says "Here's fifty cents, I have no other change. It's only a nickel, and you've been cashing."

I refuse to take the fifty cents from her hand. I tell her to put it down on the counter and she does. At this point I notice a man behind her taking an interest in whats going on. He pipes in "Its only a nickel." I ask him, "Can I make a $2 bet for $1.95? " His reply, "No."

"Well why should I take less than whats owed me?" I ask... A technician next to her station, fixing one of the machines chimes in "Well you can make ten cent bets.", not understanding what is occurring. The cashier finally locates a nickel and gives it to me.

As I'm walking away, the man from behind her leaves the security of the building and approaches me. "I give them a starting bank everyday. They sometimes run out of change late in the day."

I explain that I understand that they can run out of change, but then I also state:

*I've seen this cashier do this to others throughout the day.
*Its only the 8th race, 3 more races to go.
*Only a limited amount of cashiers with no money on hand?
*Shouldn't the cashier be offering a voucher for a balance she can't provide?

Turns out the man I was talking to is the 'supervisor' and he tells me that he will make sure the cashiers offer vouchers, and not shortchange anyone.

I wonder how much the cashier was able to 'rake' in??
ALL CIRCUITS GO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
thespaah

Oldest trick in the book...
Some of the veteran tellers are borderline crooks. They have this move where they will hand the customer the bills then place the change on the counter. The idea is they figure the customer will grab the bills and leave. The teller scoops up the silver and pockets it.
My approach is to stand there with my hands in my pockets or in another neutral position and wait for the teller to count out all that is owed. Only then will I take the money.
Yeah, it may be only 50 cents or whatever, but it's MY money. it's the principle.
BTW, kudos on your quick retort "can I make a two dollar bet with $1.95?".....Classic.

Last edited by thespaah; 08-29-2016 at 12:06 PM.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

One time at Hollywood Park many moons ago, the cashier rapidly laid out my winnings in bills and then paused. I started to reach for them and realized it was missing $5. His hand emerged from below the counter with the missing $5. I wonder how many times this "delay pay" works on the happy winning bettor who thinks he's been given it all without checking as it was counted out? I became a little paranoid after that.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'm not a teller tipper, never have been, but in this case if he wanted to work that hard for a nickel I'd have just left and let him have it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I've given up on getting change BUT what I used to do is break my vouchers/withdrawals (as I use the NYRA rewards account) to simple hundred dollar denominations.

My little mother always has small vouchers. Whatever she finishes with, I.E. $76.75, I make a voucher for a quarter from my account and add it to her voucher.

She then cashes in whole dollars.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

If I were you, I'd go back to the same teller near post and call out your $2 bet and then hand her $1.95

Give her the silent pause, as the race goes off and tell her it's only a nickel
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
tanner12oz

You handled it better then me..i would have snapped out
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
"Can I make a $2 bet for $1.95? " His reply, "No."
End of story.
The guy is a putz. I would still be at the window doing who knows what by now.

You can't fight every battle, but this is one you just have to.

If she had asked politely if it was OK to short a nickel, I would have happily agreed.

But her attitude marked her as a jerk.
and you unload on jerks whenever you can.
Law of nature, I think.

I would report he to NYRA.
Is this the kind of human slug they want representing them at the most important place on the tack?
Old 08-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenj
One time at Hollywood Park many moons ago, the cashier rapidly laid out my winnings in bills and then paused. I started to reach for them and realized it was missing $5. His hand emerged from below the counter with the missing $5. I wonder how many times this "delay pay" works on the happy winning bettor who thinks he's been given it all without checking as it was counted out? I became a little paranoid after that.
This is a very common move I've seen hundreds of times, the slow roll for those final dollars. It's a two stage delivery, first stage is rapid fire, then thing's slow down and get complicated. Counting out those ones and the change seem to require a huge effort.
I imagine many people just grab the first stack and take off.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL CIRCUITS GO
Made my annual trip to the Spa this weekend. Leaving Sunday after the 8th race. went to cash in my tickets. As you may know, there is a shed row of machines that accept bets, and maybe 2 actual cashiers manning stations to cash out or purchase vouchers.

My ticket is for $71.55 . Only I know whether this represents a profit or loss for me. Cashier gives me $71 and says: "That's all I can give you. I have no change." I look at her and ask if she can get change from the teller next to her. She gets 4 quarters from him. She holds out her hand and says "Here's fifty cents, I have no other change. It's only a nickel, and you've been cashing."

I refuse to take the fifty cents from her hand. I tell her to put it down on the counter and she does. At this point I notice a man behind her taking an interest in whats going on. He pipes in "Its only a nickel." I ask him, "Can I make a $2 bet for $1.95? " His reply, "No."

"Well why should I take less than whats owed me?" I ask... A technician next to her station, fixing one of the machines chimes in "Well you can make ten cent bets.", not understanding what is occurring. The cashier finally locates a nickel and gives it to me.

As I'm walking away, the man from behind her leaves the security of the building and approaches me. "I give them a starting bank everyday. They sometimes run out of change late in the day."

I explain that I understand that they can run out of change, but then I also state:

*I've seen this cashier do this to others throughout the day.
*Its only the 8th race, 3 more races to go.
*Only a limited amount of cashiers with no money on hand?
*Shouldn't the cashier be offering a voucher for a balance she can't provide?

Turns out the man I was talking to is the 'supervisor' and he tells me that he will make sure the cashiers offer vouchers, and not shortchange anyone.

I wonder how much the cashier was able to 'rake' in??
Nyra tellers are the worst. Have been for 35 years .
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
Milkshaker

I don't like to see jobs being squeezed out at the track.

But ever since the advent of self-service machines, then much later ADWs that you can use to bet at the track via your smart phone, I have been avoiding interaction with human tellers unless it is absolutely necessary.

Seen too much sketchy behavior over the years to feel otherwise.

On the rare occasions that I cash a tax ticket on-track, I have always been extremely leery of handing over my SSN to the "experienced" teller who usually works the IRS window. I almost feel as if I'm forced to tip at that point, just to try and give the person a reason not to use my SSN in some scam (although I truly doubt my $10 contribution makes any difference to a real crook).

I am not a cheapskate in most other endeavors that involve tipping, but absolutely feel uncomfortable with that concept at the mutuel windows.

My rationale is that I don't EVER tip the teller at the bank for being polite and handing over the $$$ that is rightfully due to me--so why should I tip for the same "service" at the track?
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Something new to complain about: the nickel hustle.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
chiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Something new to complain about: the nickel hustle.
Right, seems like a lot of energy over a nickel. What I do is give out exact change when I have it. Yes I have a bag of pennies too. If it is at the end of the night and I don't have the exact change I give over to the next denomination. 47 cents becomes 50, 97 cents becomes a dollar. Clerk should have offered you a voucher for the difference. Odd numbers in change is nearly every ticket now with the advent of the dime super and .20 cent tri's/pk3's at a few tracks. As far as handing a customer the change or the bills first I have had complaints both ways. Hand out the change first and they complain that you are slow paying the bills, hand out the bills first and they think you are trying to keep the change. Being 6-4 and with hands like Shaq, I am not graceful when trying to peel off 87 cents.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #14
SuperPickle

Honestly if you're going to a window for anything BUT cashing at this point you're doing it wrong. Between online wagering and self service machines there's zero reason to go to a window. I always marvel at people waiting in line to make bets. It's like watching time traveling.

Considering with online wagering you withdraw via the bank and some tracks like Woodbine now have those ATM style machines that you put vouchers in and they give you the cash there's barely a reason to go to a window at all.

Basically my tip for avoiding being ripped off by tellers is you should never be going to a teller.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #15
AltonKelsey
Veteran

You don't even have to deal with a teller for that. Unless you're flat out of cash , and need money for a hot dog, deposit it in your nyra account and ach it to your swiss bank account.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: