Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #46
shrink 1

I am also a very satisfied customer. I have had more support from Dave then anyone else I have ever dealt with. He always returns e-mails promptly, and is very available for support. I just started using HSH abou a year and a 1/2 ago, and have made more money using it with New Pace then with any other piece of software I have hd, and I have had many. Yes the software is not for everyone, but, as previously stated once you've mastered it you're good to go. I have the utmost respect for Dave.
shrink 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #47
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32
OK, I'll rephrase. Do you own, and are you currently using HSH?
As you may or may not know, the name "PaceAdvantage" originated with a piece of software I wrote and marketed during the early 1990s. I am a programmer at heart, so when I am using software, first and foremost, I like to use my own.

When I have used software written by others (and I have tried a whole bunch...NetCapper, Synergism, HSH, HTR, AllWays and a bunch of other BRIS products, plus some I'm sure I've forgotten), the two that I have stuck with over the years are HSH and HTR, because these are the two that have resonated with me personally the most. I believe they are both excellent in their own right, and they both use the HDW data files. But again, I always seem to come back to my own.

Currently, I am not using any software...I have strictly been using cj's PaceFigures.com numbers.

Take all this for what it's worth...which probably isn't much. When I get around to having more time in my life, I plan to reacquaint myself with Dave's latest offerings, starting with his Renegade Handicapper video seminar.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #48
Dave Schwartz

First, I'd like to offer a sincere "thank you" to all of you who offered support in this thread. I'd also like to offer a special thank you to those who have provided financial support over the 22 years we've been in business. Do you know that I have clients who have been with me for 20 years or more?

This is a tough business and a tough crowd. We (in the horse racing game) are fighting what is for 98% of us, a losing battle. The game is hard and anybody who tells you otherwise is out to lunch.

In a world where "normal" is that only 2% win, on average my HSH users win ten times more often. That is a heck of an impact value, but I would like to see it rise even higher. I think we can double that figure.

If 20% of our users win, what about the other 80%? In an environment which is as performance-based as this one, it is quite natural to blame the tools if one is in that lower 80%. However, most of my users do not. Instead, they ask questions like, "How do I improve?" or "How do I do it better?" or "What do I need to learn?"

The few that say, "The software is no good," will usually move on to other software, which will also turn out to be not good enough. In all fairness, if I am not going to take credit for the 80% who do not win, then I do not get to take credit for the 20% that do win.

That is really the point: The software does not MAKE you win. YOU make you win.

Make no mistake - the HSH software is VERY GOOD. With a true understanding of the horse racing game, the right attitude about winning and losing, control of one's emotions, and a real grasp of the techniques necessary to make HSH "sing," winning at the races becomes possible and even probable.

However, remove any of those components and the player will probably be doomed to the lower 98%.

This is not to say that people cannot win with other software. They do it all the time. If you are a golfer who needs to hit the ball 300 yards off the tee, my belief is that you could do it with a 3 wood, but a driver is probably the better choice.

I build industrial strength software for players that desire to play at an industrial strength level. "It is not for everyone," is a very applicable statement.

Recently, I was asked by someone why they could not "try" the software to see if they liked it. My answer, as it has been for years, is to say that if I offered a trial, 95% of the users would send it back on day three. The software comes with so many alternatives that it can be very intimidating.

Note: Someone once described the HSH flow chart as a circle with arrows pointed in all directions. It is that flexibility that causes people to keep using it for years after they get past day 3. But the complexity that comes with that flexibility is what makes people want to send the program back on day 3!

Once the user gets past day 7 or 8, a light usually goes on. After a couple of months, such a user wouldn't send the program back even if he could.

We had a user once, about 3-4 versions back, who said that he was not going to make a single bet until he had mastered every facet of the software. I told him that he was wasting his time because I would be adding new features faster than he could learn; that he'd never catch up.

The good news is that the software now comes with a very powerful strategy "out of the box" so that the user does not really have to understand very much of the program to come very close to being even on day one. (Okay, maybe day four.) This is where the phrase, "almost turnkey" comes from.

And for anyone who thinks that is a small feat I assure you it is not.

The few naysayers that pop up once in awhile simply never got HSH to work for them. Why is that? Experience has shown that usually it is because they either insisted on doing it themselves, without asking for help. I have a couple of new users right now who fall into that category.

No matter how often I suggest that they join our group on Skype they do not. This group is like 40 users who are there every day, helping, learning and coaching each other. A couple of them "joined" but are never there. I have seen this before. They will drop out after two months and lament the loss of their investment in HSH. Too bad, because they could have done so much more.

We have a wonderful group of guys on Skype. It is very powerful. It makes that "day 3 challenge" go away by day 5 or 6.

Those people who say I "over-hype" products are just way off base. Does this post sound like hype? LOL - Not exactly a "sales piece" is it? I really do try to tell it like it is.

Okay, I have droned on for too long already. So, here is the summary:

1. HSH is very good software.

2. If you purchase it, on day 3 you will probably throw your hands up in the air and say, "What have I done? I may have wasted my money."

3. However, if you join the Skype group and asked for help with a willingness to learn, by day 7 or 8 you will begin to "get it." When you do, racing for you will change forever.

4. On a scale of 1-to-10 in this industry, our software is a "10" for power, complexity and flexibility. The closest thing to it is probably "All-Ways" which I would place at about "3" by comparison. Yes, there is THAT much difference.

Please forgive me for droning on so long, but I needed to get this off my chest.

Oh, and one more thing... PA and I are "friends." We have been friends for like 20 years. He has graciously allowed me to post here as an "advertiser" despite the fact that I have never paid him a penny for advertising. I do, on occasion, say "thank you" by sending he and his lovely wife out to dinner, and anything I produce will always be his at no cost.

I think it is safe to say that PA cannot be "bought" for a couple of dinners a year.

Best to all,
Dave Schwartz

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 08-22-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #49
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Oh, and one more thing... PA and I are "friends." We have been friends for like 20 years. He has graciously allowed me to post here as an "advertiser" despite the fact that I have never paid him a penny for advertising. I do, on occasion, say "thank you" by sending he and his lovely wife out to dinner, and anything I produce will always be his at no cost.

I think it is safe to say that PA cannot be "bought" for a couple of dinners a year.

Best to all,
Dave Schwartz
Your software is reputedly A-1.

What does that comment say to other paid advertisers here though??
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #50
Dave Schwartz

Well, I do send him out for some VERY NICE dinners.

<G>

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 08-22-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #51
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
What does that comment say to other paid advertisers here though??
It says that PaceAdvantage.com can not live on friends alone.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #52
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The naysayers + Dave are starting to give me the HSH itch...Dave might be getting a phone call from me sooner than he thinks...
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #53
Capper Al

I thought you said you didn't use software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I am also one of Dave's satisfied customers.

I find him to be a very honest, very knowledgeable person...who is very generous with his time -- even with those who have never bought anything from him.

As I recall...my very first phone call to him lasted almost two hours.

I don't agree with everything that he has to say...and I would be terribly disappointed in him if I did...

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #54
facorsig

Former AIO User - Very Happy with HSH

I have been using software for handicapping horse races for the last sixteen years, more than six years with HSH and about ten years with ALL IN ONE.

I was "happy" with ALL IN ONE, but thrilled with my conversion to HSH.

In my opinion, there are former HSH users who wanted to take products released to the general public as gospel for profitability...no different than buying a tip sheet. They were unwilling or incapable to make improvements to the system. The tool requires work by the user. I don't see that Dave Schwartz has obscured this opinion.

The HSH product enables success. In my opinion, it enables success to a greater extent that other products, but I have only used a handful. The devil of HSH is flexibility. Users are confounded by an infinite range of possibilities. Many users are resistant to change and endure the consequences.

I could not represent that HSH is superior to alternatives without testing all, but given my depth of exposure to technical software I am supremely confident that HSH is the best product on the market today.
facorsig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #55
Capper Al

I only saw a demo of Dave's product. It seemed fine to me for those who buy software. I did purchase Dave's book Percentages and Probabilities 2012 and have read it about 3 times. The book is 427 pages. I recommend the book especially for those who want to look at stats. Dave did answer my questions.

I have read in this thread a lot of criticism about Dave always selling new updates like New Pace, one after the other. It comes with the territory in the software development business. If one is doing R&D and coding it, there is always something new to add. Sure Dave is making money at it, but it is what he does for a living.

I have been saying for the last two years here that I was just around the corner from completing my software app and starting my database. Well, Giles comes around with some neat stuff in Extreme Pace and I add this in. My version of New Pace which is an interpretation of Giles. Then I read Dave's book and find some stats that I can take advantage of. Now I'm modifying my app again. This I swear is the end of it. I am not going to read anymore books until I complete my software and build my database. It's never finished.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Last edited by Capper Al; 08-22-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #56
lsosa54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Think he said currently, no?
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #57
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Try and keep upped. Does Schvartzie only sell software?
--

How a Massa, Platt, Purdy or whomeva deal with schnooks is beyond me.

B2B is the only way to scoot.

No matter how advanced the program ya gotta bust a hump to walk away a consistent weiner at this most brutal game.

Oddly enough, I've found lazy people/easy gain types, complain the most in life.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #58
DeltaLover

Is this the software we are talking about?

http://store.thehorsehandicappingaut...ndicapper.html

What exactly is doing? Is there any demo, trial or tutorial we can read about?
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #59
Kevroc
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
I've found lazy people/easy gain types, complain the most in life.

This is the worst post I've ever skimmed in my life!

I find Dave to be just aces. Look, we all have the freedomto do with our money what we choose to. Invest in Apple or Lucky Lindy in the 7th race.

Whenever someone charges money for a product, they will inevitably have fans and detractors.

I checked out NewPace when it came out and I liked it very much. I saw some screenshots of HSH and thought it would be something that could enhance my handicapping experience (results AND time).

It IS a bit daunting at first. It has lots of bells and whistles. The support is top notch and the user community is amazing. The flow of ideas are great and I would say it is worth getting involved just for that alone.

The phrase "turnkey" makes me whince somewhat myself, as we know nothing as that easy. But, as an owner of fantastic NP button, I can say that it IS turnkey in the fact that it runs the sequence of events in mere seconds, that would take minutes to do by hand. My favorite part is that the legs within the sequence are customizable and you can tweak it however you like.

Add it all together, the community, the tools, the support and in my opinion it is all worth it. No gambling aid or investment tool can just plop the money in your pocket, even the most complex trading algorithims must be tweaked and maintained.

I am NOT flat-bet profitable but, I am a satisfied customer and we are always learning and always getting better.
Kevroc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #60
MartyZee

stop the madness

To all you complainers-THIS IS AMERICA THE GREATET COUNTRY IN THE WORLD-NOBODY FORCES ANYONE TO BUY ANYTHING-COMPANIES ARE FOREVER TRYING TO IMPROVE THEIR PRODUCTS-SHOULD IT BE A COMPUTER;CELL PHONE;T.V. ETC; I don't recall not paying for these new improved items and i'm not saying that the "older models" don't work-THE choice is yours;I have about 15 types of horse racing software some work better for me than others( I use 2 or 3 for most of my handicapping); NOBODY FORCED ME TO BUY ANY ONE OF THEM; LEAVE THESE GUYS ALONE(RIGHT now the target seems to be Dave S by some of you individuals).I will tell you that his customer service is 2nd to none-He is a standup guy and is entitled to make a living-Thans Marty
MartyZee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply