Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 08-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Flysofree
Veteran

Bris PP Race 7 Saratoga (8/31)?

Hopefully someone that understands Bris Prime Power figures can help me here. In the above race only 2 horses have a race both the 2 and the 8. Both were at Saratoga and both this summer. The 2 has the top Bris Prime Power number and the 8 has no Prime power number. The 8 ran a much better race than the 2 but gets no Prime power figure.. Is this a mistake that is common with Bris Prime Power figures or something very Rare???

Take a look.
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
thaskalos

I don't make it a point to check the Prime Power figures regularly...but I would have to guess that this sort of obvious mistake is extremely rare.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Flysofree
Veteran

What I don't understand is that all the numbers are automatic to my understanding. (Black Box thing) If so, what happened here?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysofree
What I don't understand is that all the numbers are automatic to my understanding. (Black Box thing) If so, what happened here?
I would have to agree with Thaskalos, and guess that this was simply an error.

If I had to guess the 8's Prime Power as of this morning, I would guess approximately "120".

There are some wild guesses we could make (for example - maybe prime power is only calibrated at the beginning of the month) but I can't think of anything that makes actual sense.

Typo?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Flysofree
Veteran

"This time" it did not cost me any money as in a bet, but I have relied heavily on these numbers for a long time. I would write BRIS and ask them but would get some sort of stock answer.... so I won't do it. As for the first of the month..... ummm...I don't think so!! Probably am done with their figs unless there is some answer that makes a LOT OF SENSE. Maybe someone else will inquire. I bet dollars on their top figure and when something this blatant happens, I have to re-examine WTF, I'm doing.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysofree
"This time" it did not cost me any money as in a bet, but I have relied heavily on these numbers for a long time. I would write BRIS and ask them but would get some sort of stock answer.... so I won't do it. As for the first of the month..... ummm...I don't think so!! Probably am done with their figs unless there is some answer that makes a LOT OF SENSE. Maybe someone else will inquire. I bet dollars on their top figure and when something this blatant happens, I have to re-examine WTF, I'm doing.
You say that you've been betting real dollars on these numbers for a long time...so this must mean that you've derived some satisfaction from doing so. If that's the case...then why let an obvious mistake like this affect your thinking in such a manner? It's obvious to me that the 8-horse was entirely omitted from this figure-making process...for some reason. If the 2-horse had gotten a bigger figure than the 8-horse...then there would be a reason to question the accuracy of the figures.

An omitted figure isn't as troubling as a miscalculated figure.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
eqitec

Bris PP Race 7 Saratoga (8/31)?

I'm in the process of doing researching BRIS PPRs and have almost 1600 races worth of data since the beginning of this year. For each race, I create an infographic such as below.

Out of the 1600 races, I'd estimate from memory that there have been 3 mistakes similar to this one. I can live with that.

Attached Images
File Type: png PPRVaSar083114-2.png (49.0 KB, 76 views)
eqitec is offline   Reply With Quote Reply