Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Coding Update: I have code done that will allow program to check C:\2012 and match up data files with .xrd results files and then download data and get ready for next step....which would be handicapping to get each horses ranking in each factor after checking for scratches.

So some progress.....yea!

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Holy Crap Elvis. I just built my first Database with code I wrote. A bit excited right now. But just realized I now have to write code to access the database and see if I have put the right info in it. Forgot about this part. Oh well.

Handi
Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #18
headhawg
crusty old guy

What engine did you decide to use? Cheetah? Sqllite?
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #19
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Neither. I have written it in Liberty basic using random access files with relational tables.

This is all new to me, so it's a bit rough going. But I didn't know how to interface with cheetah or sqlite.

Handi
Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Looks like I have the database debugged. At least hope so. I am now starting to code the user interface. Not sure how long that is going to take. We'll see.

Handi
Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
headhawg
crusty old guy

Good stuff, Handi. You've inspired me to write code again so I am working on some things, little by little: a new interface, autoscratch, batch processing, and...gulp...a database feature. I really would like to work on a faster data file load routine as well.

I am looking to take HHX into a slightly different direction than Handifast. If things work out I'll see if I can make it available here.

Hopefully things with your database function are going well.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Head..... Can't wait to see what you come up with soon. Where can I get the latest version of HHX?

Handi
Old 03-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
headhawg
crusty old guy

The latest version is still v2.1 from a long time ago. About the only thing I did after that was include a couple of batch files that would load/save different weight configurations, a very primitive version of what you have included in Handifast now. I'm pretty sure that you have that version. It may still be available from Doug's site as well, I'm not sure. If not, just let me know.

When I code something new I'll send it to you. We are looking at at least a month or two. I am just playing around with a new interface now. GUIs are not my strength.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #24
Handiman
BarelyWinning

No problem buddy. Whenever you get something fine. I know how hard it is to get stuff knocked out.

Handi
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #25
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Update: I have Aqueduct since the first of the year in database. I have the user interface coded and have run a few queries. I found a route dirt that showed nice ROI and by the time the report came up, I had forgotten what numbers I had put in....so I have added text boxes for each factor that displays the number ratings as you put them in, so if you find a setting that shows positive ROI you will have the numbers available to write down.

Next step is to add more race cards to database and make sure that it all works. Then I will have to code the 'Append" ability. After that and some testing I think the program in it's latest incarnation should be ready to go.

Handi
Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #26
Vinnie

Handi:

"You, HH and Doug totally Rock"!! Way to push the edge of the envelope..

Have a super day today. I only wish you continued excellent health and wellness sir.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #27
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Thanks Vinnie. This is turning out to be quite a major challenge.

Handi
Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #28
Vinnie

Honestly Handi, with what you have shown in how you program in developing Handifast and variations of other programs you have already shared with us to date, I believe that there are very few things that you cannot accomplish when you put your mind to it.

I only wish that I could do what you guys do. Thank you for all of your efforts.

Vinnie

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #29
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Ran into a major snag and so having to do some clean up and rethinking before moving on......Hopefully back on track soon. This is quite a daunting task.

Handi
Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
headhawg
crusty old guy

It is indeed Handi. I am doing a (nearly) total rewrite of HHX and even the little things seem to be taking forever for me to code. Far down on the coding list is db capabilities but that might turn out to be a totally different program from Handifast HHX.

I've looked at some of the db things available for LB and I'm trying to decide which one to commit to. There's the previously mentioned SQLlite (but there is only an LB wrapper for an older version), and the Cheetah DB (non-SQL based). I've also discovered a B-tree indexing dll that might work with LB which mainly adds a fast indexing system to whatever sequential/random access files exist in the application. Not relational, but for what I might want to do a relational db may not be necessary.

Continued good luck with your foray into the db realm. Knowing your persistence I am sure that you will get it working shortly.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: