Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
trying2win

Women Announcers Or Selectors Employed At Racetracks

I know that there aren't many women employed at racetracks as announcers or selectors. What I don't know is, if that is because of an influence of the Old Boys Club mentality at racetracks, or the lack of qualified female candidates for these jobs. Any guesses on that?

I only know of one woman announcer at any thoroughbred, harness or greyhound racetrack. It is at BLUFFS RUN GREYHOUND PARK. I don't know her name, but I think she does a credible job. One of her trademark sayings is at the start of a race..."Here-e-e comes lucky!" If you are unable to catch her calls on live video, they have a video archive of past races on their website at:
http://www.bluffsdogs.com/

As for women selectors, I know that CHESTER DOWNS employs an attractive young gal named Shannon for that honor. Also, I know that Northlands Park has another attractive young lady name Cherl, to make the selectons for that track.

I know there are some more women selectors around U.S. and Canadian tracks. Can someone list their names and the tracks? By the way, isn't Mountaineer Park one of them?

T2W

Last edited by trying2win; 09-11-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
JBmadera

Jessica does a good job at AP and then there is the hat lady at the nyra tracks.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
FlyinLate

It seems as women in the industry are, however, on the rise. Look at TVG, they have three female employees out of their crew right now. They have Nancy (not a bad handicapper or host), Jill Byrn (Female form of Mr. B betting only favorites), and Christina Olivares (who I think I'm in love with).
Old 09-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera
Jessica does a good job at AP and then there is the hat lady at the nyra tracks.
One thing the "hat lady" does not pick is her hat. The other......

She is very good at what she does however and a pretty nice person.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
cj's dad

The Twins - woohoo

doesn't Thistle/Beulah have the twins ??
Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Give it time, fellas...you'll see more of the women as time goes on... when I first started working at Belmont...I think we had me and about half dozen other women there...in fact, the legend of Out Riders, Jim Dailey, tried to talk me out of working there..."no place for a gal"...and the rest as they say....

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
comet52

Well there's always Nancy at MNR, she and Mark have been doing that show forever.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

There's Jessica Paquette @ Suffolk Downs; Margo ?(Maiden name was Creel) @ Tampa Bay,who started her analyst career@ Rockingham Park in NH in the late '80's; & The Fair Grounds track gal (Jessica?)gets bloggers' fingers typing furiously when they're running their meet.
[/url]
Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
trying2win

Women Announcers and Selectors

Thanks for all the info, gang. There's more female hostesses and/or selectors at USA and Canadian tracks that I figured. I haven't checked enough of the live videos out. How's that for an excuse?

T2W
Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
sandpit

Caton Bredar was one of the pioneers of this back when she worked at Arlington and Gulfstream and later as the lead on TVG. She is still the best, IMO. And she comes with great credentials. Her father was a trainer and her grandfather, Ted Atkinson, was one of the greatest jockeys of all time - the only person to ride Tom Fool.

You still see her pop up from time to time on ESPN and HRTV. I think she did the Hambletonian this year as well.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
BlueShoe

Hostess ok,not announcers

Believe that the attractive gal at Northlands is named Crystal.Too bad that she is only on before tha 1st race.Have had a crush on "the hat lady",Jan Rushton,for years.Classy and informed,she worked on the backstretch in her younger days.As for announcers,on this one am giving it a pass.Do not care for female commentators or play by play announcers in other sports.There is one gal doing college football that triggers hitting the mute button or a channel change,so calling the races perhaps should remain a male domain.

Last edited by BlueShoe; 09-11-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
dav4463

Who is the good-looking blonde at Presque Isle Downs? I don't play the track. I just saw her on the screen and wasn't sure if she was the selector or not.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Martha at Sam Houston
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #14
dav4463

I think there is a market for the NUDE HANDICAPPERS! Just like the Nude News online! What do you think?

They don't have to really do their own handicapping. They would just be talking heads basically, but a lot of guys might sign in to watch the handicapping show!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
offtrack

Fort Erie has a female selctor prior to each race. Elisa Blowe I believe is her name.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: