Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 01-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
magwell

Mohaymen

Seen him today, at 2.2 mil. did not expect any flaws and didn't see any, his action was good and he wasn't really tested, the jock was a passenger on "much the best" today, lets hope he stays sound, he's a strong contender, but its still way early......
Old 01-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Ghostzapper04

Finished the race as if he was completing a workout. His stride is incredibly efficient, such as last year's Derby winner, whatever his name was.
Ghostzapper04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
PowerUpPaynter

WOW this horse has legit super star potential.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
MutuelClerk

Seemed like a jockey was sweating more than the horse. Alvardo looked nervous almost like the weight of the world was off his shoulders after the race.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
f2tornado

I would have liked to have seen a little faster pace through 6F but really liked the closing speed. For me, the one to beat in May (at this time and it is early). I will add to my Future wager in a couple weeks. Not much else out there impresses me much yet but I do want to see additional racing from Lani and Airoforce.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Hoops McCann

he looked great. gotta be the early derby fave.
Hoops McCann is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
magwell

He looked just fine again today, just walked his beat, and there's nothing wrong with Zulu he's a great looking colt by Bernardini with no wasted action, it was only his 3rd start so lot of potential here ........
Old 02-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

May have won but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
Seen him today, at 2.2 mil. did not expect any flaws and didn't see any, his action was good and he wasn't really tested, the jock was a passenger on "much the best" today, lets hope he stays sound, he's a strong contender, but its still way early......
Mohaymen may have won but he sure did not gallop out very well...stopped real fast after finish line..I have doubts whether he can get the mile and quarter distance now...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #9
Mc990

No chance this colt gets 10f in May. So know we have a potential match race between Mohaymen and Nyquist in the Florida Derby... Seriously how many are they going to draw for that race? 5? 6 entries?

We have the potential of seeing them the derby favorite and a top 5 choice with a 1-2 finish in Florida. All that with beating small fields and with Nyquist, only 1 route this year. I know I'll be betting against with both fists. Some bettors out there may have lost the battle yesterday but couldn't be positioned more perfectly to win the war May 7th.
Mc990 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
classhandicapper

He's not as fast as Nyquist, but I thought he looked good. His pedigree doesn't scream 10F, but I didn't see anything yesterday that made me think he clearly can't get 10F. At this stage I think he's more likely to handle 10F than Nyquist.

I don't see him as so dominant that someone can't move past him between now and the Derby, but he's the Derby favorite right now.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
Mohaymen may have won but he sure did not gallop out very well...stopped real fast after finish line..I have doubts whether he can get the mile and quarter distance now...
He did the same thing after the Holy Bull, if there is a problem coming it will be physical not the distance.....just my opinion
Old 02-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #12
Appy

Will he or won't he? All I know is he has proven to be everything I love to find in a horse and is therefore too good for my money.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
Stoleitbreezing

distance

Why all of a sudden the question on whether he'll get the distance? He's already won easily in the 9F Remsen at 2 YO and seemed to gallop out strongly there. He's also not been tested yet, so there should be plenty of bottom to travel the extra furlong in the derby. I think some are just reaching for another horse so they don't have to bet chalk. Until he's been beaten or is stricken with illness or injury he'll be the horse to beat for the roses.

It is one thing to search for value in a race and quite another to take a horse with very little chance to win at long odds. Fellowship was 22-1 in a 6 horse race, but had little chance to win against the favorites. There were horseplayers who understood he didn't have a chance to win and took him as a solid play underneath despite the attractive win odds. Others were swayed by the 3/5 on Mohaymen and "hoped" Fellowship somehow stumbled up for the win despite never proving he could against this quality before. Fellowship could have been 60/1 and I would never take him in that race. Not against those quality horses and not at Gulfstream Park where speed and racing forwardly early is the best trip.
Stoleitbreezing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #14
PowerUpPaynter

I wouldnt worry about his gallop out i think he is a tough horse to get a read on based on his mannerisms. He looks like hes half asleep pre race. One thing for sure he wont get spooked come derby day if his demeanor was any calmer he would curl up and take a nap during the post parade. Kiaran McLaughlin always says how this horse never is winded

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 02-28-2016 at 11:55 AM.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I don't see him as so dominant that someone can't move past him between now and the Derby, but he's the Derby favorite right now.
This. I agree.

Distance questions?
There's no reason he can't get 10furlongs.

Mohaymen will contend for a top placing if
1. He holds his current form
2. He gets a good trip

Maybe he will appear more brilliant closing from mid-pack into a collapsing pace. His brilliance hasn't been jaw-dropping yet. He's simply 'better' than his competition.
Or maybe this horse 'has' to make a middle-move like he has in his last two regardless of the fact that it would better be used later in the Derby, and it will be a grind late.

Kiaran McLaughlin has also had horses in recent years that peaked early and declined in form by the triple crown series. Mohaymen's form is not guaranteed to hold.

But if the Derby were yesterday at 10f he'd have to be the favorite.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-28-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: