Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
mountainman

The Few, The Proud that NEVER look back

Call me old-school, but I cringe when a jockey looks back. One of the stone-commandments of race-riding, of course, passed down from the masters, admonishes jocks to NEVER look back. A quick glance before cutting to the rail I can tolerate (barely), and a sly look under the armpit (more professional than between the legs) can pass muster. But it looks bush-league when riders crank their heads around-or even sideways- in the stretch. Yes, your horse is tiring, and yes, you're probably going to get tagged, but that's no excuse for pausing one nano-second to look nervously back, rather than focusing COMPLETELY on the finish.

And really good riders don't need a glance back to confirm someone is gaining, they sense it (and often drift out, or in accordingly).
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Call me old-school, but I cringe when a jockey looks back. One of the stone-commandments of race-riding, of course, passed down from the masters, admonishes jocks to NEVER look back. A quick glance before cutting to the rail I can tolerate (barely), and a sly look under the armpit (more professional than between the legs) can pass muster. But it looks bush-league when riders crank their heads around-or even sideways- in the stretch. Yes, your horse is tiring, and yes, you're probably going to get tagged, but that's no excuse for pausing one nano-second to look nervously back, rather than focusing COMPLETELY on the finish.

And really good riders don't need a glance back to confirm someone is gaining, they sense it (and often drift out, or in accordingly).
Good post.

We must be from the same old-school of hard knocks.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Fastracehorse

I actually like it before the last turn

because i think the jock hasn't set down when he's done this; meaning he/she has lots of horse left

it looks cool IMO; don't do it when you are riding your trike; it's fun

and you want your jock to know who is behind them in the stretch run so they can accidentally/on purpose drift efficiently into intended path

fffastt
Fastracehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

This is conjuring images of Turcotte looking back on the Stretch at Belmont. I remember the Interview where Turcott said "Curiosity got the best of me, and I looked back. When I look at it now, it even scares me." or something to that effect.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

If i bet on a horse where the jock is in front and he's looking back i yell out loud STOP LOOKING BACK and RIDE.

These guys look back so they can "measure" off wins and placings and "Save" some horse for next time if they can.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
rrpic6

IMO,The only jockey that looked back and eventually would hang on to win, was Chris McCarron. He was such a good judge of pace. I hate it now and when it happens, I start to tear up tickets, even the virtual ADW ones.

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I, years ago, saw a scientific study addressing the best ways to defend a wide receive in football. The one thing I remember is that it was determined that a human does not slow down when running whilst looking back. Based on that, I doubt horses show down when the jockey looks back.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Sometimes a jock has just hit the lead or is moving towards it (around the 1/4 pole) and he looks back....I love that look back. The jock is basically saying that he has these guys next to him beaten and is wondering if someone is flying from the back.

Then there's Calvin Borel on Street Sense taking a very quick and nervous look back at Curlin about mid stretch in the Preakness...I hate that look back.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
Bettowin

I agree with those who like it. My take is that when a jockey has move to the lead without asking his horse he is feeling real good about his chances and just wants to make sure there is nothing coming from the back. I'll take a jockey sneaking a peek back entering the stretch as opposed to one with his whip cocked and riding his brains out
Bettowin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
I, years ago, saw a scientific study addressing the best ways to defend a wide receive in football. The one thing I remember is that it was determined that a human does not slow down when running whilst looking back. Based on that, I doubt horses show down when the jockey looks back.
It's not a matter of slowing down. It's a matter of the balance being altered.

Yes, believe it or not, the position of the riders head affects the balance of a horse.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
Milkshaker

A jock who I respect once told me it is only OK to do the full-blown look back when...

1) You know you have enough horse to win by a huge margin (to make sure no one is coming so you can effectively gear the horse down).

2) You know you are going to lose by a huge margin (so that if you are fading through the pack, you get the F*** out of the way so you don't cause an accident).
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #12
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

My jockey usually looks back because he is afraid the grater and the water truck may run him over at the sixteenth pole....
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Mine only look back when the ambulance blows the horn at them.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Sometimes a jock has just hit the lead or is moving towards it (around the 1/4 pole) and he looks back....I love that look back. The jock is basically saying that he has these guys next to him beaten and is wondering if someone is flying from the back.

Then there's Calvin Borel on Street Sense taking a very quick and nervous look back at Curlin about mid stretch in the Preakness...I hate that look back.
I agree. Don't mind it at all when they are at the top of the stretch. When you see it at the sixteenth pole, you know that horse is gassed.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Chris Longshot
Chris Longshot

I hate when jockeys do that they almost always quit or get tagged...Thankfully, when your horse is in last, there are no other horses to look back at...

Problem solved!

http://damountain.blogspot.com/
Chris Longshot is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: