Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #31
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
I've watched those races. For some reason they seems more fair than here. Maybe because the turns are wider at some tracks or the configurations are different. In the USA , the turns are tighter and the stretch run is shorter.

I miss the days at Belmont where you had to be real GOOD to wire a field.

If it were up to me, that grass would never be paved or shaved.
Don't you get tired of cappin the dirt races? - all you have to do is pick the speed horse (then curse the jock after he fails to grab the lead)
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #32
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I've adjusted my game. I cover most scenarios and just get em in the pick 5. I'll rarely play a horse to win at Belmont. Jocks are unreliable grabbers.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #33
classhandicapper

Quote:
I've adjusted my game. I cover most scenarios and just get em in the pick 5. I'll rarely play a horse to win at Belmont. Jocks are unreliable grabbers.
There are times my thinking is similar.

Rather than saying "I think the pace is going to be fast" and constructing my entire ticket around that premise, I will say "if the pace is fast" this is what I think and "if the pace is not as fast as I expect" this is what I think. So maybe instead of having the 3 best closers, I have the best closer, the best speed, and someone else.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #34
Big Peps

was thinking the same thing yesterday as I was watching the races, In addition it makes all the two turn grass races the same regardless if they are 1 mile or 1.5 miles. It gives you a shot but really just depends on the last 800 yards. Look at the 7th race for this Thursday. Turf route with lone speed and about 8-9 horses that all run the exact same, will be a shite show
Big Peps is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #35
the little guy

Forgetting about the instructions or rides for a minute, one thing that strikes me is why trainers don't train more speed into their horses so that they can be in position to take advantage of this on-going situation. How can at least having tactical speed ever be a disadvantage?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #36
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
DH - OT, but how about posting some selections during the Spa meet?
If you want to actually win money you don't want me posting picks
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #37
johnhannibalsmith

Repying to Andy here since I forgot to quote and DaH got in between us:

No kidding. Every time I get to works everyone in the race has been fed a diet of useless neither hay-nor-grass half-mile breezes or pokey five-eighths. I see someone that shockingly thought it might be a fine idea to let one actually work three eighths going into a race trying to put a point on the pencil and I can't shake the horse no matter how bad it looks on paper. After I pick myself up off the floor.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #38
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Forgetting about the instructions or rides for a minute, one thing that strikes me is why trainers don't train more speed into their horses so that they can be in position to take advantage of this on-going situation. How can at least having tactical speed ever be a disadvantage?
I think there is a perception that the horses won't last as long. Although I can think of a few that out performed their breeding a while back just by having pure (cheap) speed, and they made big money. But everybody knew they were going to run up front or right off it. I don't follow the sport like I used to, but it seems there are a lot less speed horses than there used to be.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #39
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Chris DeCarlo is a jockey who could take advantage of this.
He would regularly wire turf fields at Mth in the past.
He rides occasionally in NY

Gimme a route race on the Inner Turf with the rails at 18-27ft with DeCarlo up.
Maybe things would be different
Old 07-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #40
pandy

Yesterday the turf courses were much slower. The past few weeks they've been lightning fast.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #41
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I get ticked off when there is no pace and my horse breaks on top, no one wants the lead but my jock tears my horse's head off to defer to another jock and who doesn't even want the lead . You know the ending....inheritor of lead , wires.

Those are the times I erupt.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #42
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I get ticked off when there is no pace and my horse breaks on top, no one wants the lead but my jock tears my horse's head off to defer to another jock and who doesn't even want the lead . You know the ending....inheritor of lead , wires.

Those are the times I erupt.
Almost is bad is when a horse gets an easy, clear lead and the jock strangles the horse to keep all the others right in contention rather than making them work to keep up.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #43
no breathalyzer
Veteran

whither its 52 halves or 47 flat mile its proven over and over again the lead is not where you win on the grass.. unless its a cheap claimer race or the portable rail is out considerable amount.. It is also obvious something changed with that turf course over the last couple weeks as very average horses were blasting unrealistic times. Is it possible they over corrected what ever they attempted to do to fix that problem?
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #44
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by no breathalyzer
whither its 52 halves or 47 flat mile its proven over and over again the lead is not where you win on the grass.. unless its a cheap claimer race or the portable rail is out considerable amount.. It is also obvious something changed with that turf course over the last couple weeks as very average horses were blasting unrealistic times. Is it possible they over corrected what ever they attempted to do to fix that problem?
All the top class turf races I've seen won in wire to wire fashion were an illusion?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #45
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Almost is bad is when a horse gets an easy, clear lead and the jock strangles the horse to keep all the others right in contention rather than making them work to keep up.
That's the snatching DEFEAT from the jaws of VICTORY ride