Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-08-2023, 10:30 AM   #46
Overlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlay View Post
To me, the thing to avoid is totally eliminating any horse from consideration before the handicapping process even starts. I try to assign a fair-odds figure to each horse (no matter how long those fair odds may be) by using a small (but comprehensive) number of proven probabilities, and then looking for overlays (as my user name implies ).
I should have also mentioned that I do not eliminate any category of races out-of-hand before the handicapping process starts.

Last edited by Overlay; 11-08-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #47
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
1. I quickly survey the field to see if there are any obvious horses who can be eliminated at first glance. Since I play the vertical exotics, I can't afford to discard any but the most obvious throw-outs in the race at the very start of the handicapping process.

2. I have trained myself to start viewing the past-performances from the far right, so I can immediately notice any obvious trouble that the horse might have experienced, especially at the start...which might necessitate that I ignore that particular race in my evaluation of the horse's ability.

3. I identify any changes which might cause the horse's performance today to differ from what this horse has done in its recent races (claims, class maneuvers, jockey changes, equipment changes, etc.)
My first two go to bets are Win and Exacta . The horizontal plays are just gravy for me and only usually played in sequence during the “meat “ of the card which is the latter races. I don’t bet cheap tracks , only the major circuits that I know and am familiar with . I don’t care for the maiden races 90 % of the time . I’m looking for patterns and a record that I can evaluate. As to what he posted In number 3 .,,,, I’m also looking for distance/surface changes .

I’m also always looking at least two horses and many times 3 . I look for 3 horses in almost every turf race because the trip and the larger field is a great equalizer. I’ll use the most obvious horse or chalk if it convinced me it’s tough but my theory is “ it’s horse racing “ and there’s at least one horse being overlooked and is an overlay . If you can’t ride with that and find those I don’t see how you can possibly make money .
On the big days I’m trying to figure out where the strongest company was competing. Derby , I’m trying to figure where the best preps were run . On BC day I’m trying to figure out which region or track had the best horses (races) . This year I just thought the Saratoga group was the best . So as one can imagine I did really well this year .

Started on Friday with Fiercness who won by 12 here at Saratoga then posted a nice “trouble line “ in the notes on the right next out. Just like Thask is talking about in number 2. I was teaching a younger guy this summer who asked me about the comments because he didn’t understand them . When you’re looking for an overlay a trouble comment can be huge ! Then watch the replay if you can!

I’m not betting 50 , tracks , 16 hours a day , 7 days a week . Some people talk like they do well doing that . I have to see it to believe that . I’m playing the best , most consistent horses that I can somewhat count on ….. and in this game I use that term loosely . Cause I’ve seen and experienced it all over the years . No result really surprises me . When I see some people react after a crazy outcome . What do you expect ? It’s horses , running in a circle with humans on board ! You ain’t gonna win them all so try to win on things that actually pay something. To do that your mentality has to be willing to lose some without grief ! Take some shots Or constantly cash chalky tickets and lose your money if you’re in it long term .

Last edited by burnsy; 11-08-2023 at 03:03 PM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2023, 03:34 PM   #48
Maximillion

The way I look at it is it's still a horse race no matter what level or track it's at.
If these cheaper races were all a hot mess and totally unpredictable the whales wouldn't be risking millions on them.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2023, 10:39 PM   #49
River11
Murray KY

I play two tracks exclusively , Horseshoe Indy from Apr to Nov and Tampa from Nov to Apr. I use DRF Formulator notes to record track bias and trip notes. Rely heavily on Beyer and Timeform speed figures to project the direction horses are heading. Like that both tracks offer two pick 5’s, my go to wager, seldomly spending more than $20.
River11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 08:19 AM   #50
River11
Murray KY

Both tracks have safe dirt surfaces and excellent turf courses
River11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2023, 01:14 PM   #51
jimmyb

I like betting maidens as they seem to run truer to form.

Top speed figure, best workout numbers, a change of pace style, front speed cutting back...these are four things I look for. They do not have to be all inclusive, one will do fine. Less than 5/1 is no play
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply