Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #1276
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentz View Post
I'm with you 100%..
https://timeformusblog.com/2017/03/0...now-available/
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #1277
GMB@BP

I just realized it was 2 years ago I opened my TVG account...I am up 125% of my original deposit...I say this not because I am any good at handicapping but using Timeform's product has really made this game easier. I bet less due to having a family but the product makes the game playable without the real grindy part of being a player.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2017, 12:20 AM   #1278
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I just realized it was 2 years ago I opened my TVG account...I am up 125% of my original deposit...I say this not because I am any good at handicapping but using Timeform's product has really made this game easier. I bet less due to having a family but the product makes the game playable without the real grindy part of being a player.
That makes my day...seriously. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #1279
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
2 yrs is a pretty good test.

Good for you !!
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #1280
GMB@BP

On a side note that was a heck of a increase for TVG to credit back the Timeform past performances based on your days wagering. went from 10 bucks to 25 bucks....I almost always would pick something to wager on at 10 but at 25 thats a little steep if there was not anything i really like, better off just to eat the $6.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #1281
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

What's the formula (if there is one) to convert the Timeform speed figure* into the Beyer scale? Thanks.

*I'm referring to the TimeForm final speed figure located under the horse's finish, not the TimeForm figure that incorporates pace.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #1282
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I knock off 20 points and it works good. In fact, I convert the fis to Quirin style pace and speed - based on 20.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #1283
RunForTheRoses

There was a good play in the 5th at Keeneland today based on the breeding number (note there was other juju. Wesley Ward, undefeated horse...)but what made me throw him in was...the horse had one race at Turfway Synth and won, the breeding said Synth 76 but today's turf an 85. Paid $13.80.

CJ, how are these numbers made? How are the trainer numbers made (these can also signal winners)?
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #1284
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
There was a good play in the 5th at Keeneland today based on the breeding number (note there was other juju. Wesley Ward, undefeated horse...)but what made me throw him in was...the horse had one race at Turfway Synth and won, the breeding said Synth 76 but today's turf an 85. Paid $13.80.

CJ, how are these numbers made? How are the trainer numbers made (these can also signal winners)?
I apologize for missing this one. I wasn't heavily involved in the development of trainer or (soon to come) jockey ratings. I know that they include in the money finishes as well as ROI.

I also wasn't involved in the breeding ratings much, but I do know they use the TimeformUS Speed Figures as a big factor. A stallion's progeny moving from dirt to turf and winning will help the rating, but a horse moving from a 70 on dirt to a 100 on turf for the first time will count even more, whether it wins or not. I hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask anytime and again, sorry I missed this.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 PM   #1285
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-27-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #1286
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

More on this...

http://www.drf.com/news/qa-timeformu...e-pace-ratings

http://www.drf.com/news/timeform-pac...gs-now-drf-pps
Old 04-27-2017, 01:33 AM   #1287
menifee

I have a question for the timeform guys. I've been using timeform figs and like them. Love the pace projector. Here's my issue - I find that the figures get less useful as you slide down the class levels. It seems that with cheaper horses there can be a huge variance between figures (seen horses drop 20-30 points frequently). The higher class horses are more consistent. Anyone else find the same? Obviously cheaper horses are less reliable, more need the lead types and can change form dramatically with trainer or equipment change, but you don't see that variance with the beyer figs. Anyone else notice the same?
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 02:03 AM   #1288
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The last five races are combined in order to calculate a single set of early/late ratings per horse? Wouldn't it be better if each race in the horse's racing record received a separate set of early/late ratings?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-27-2017 at 10:58 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 AM   #1289
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The last five races are combined in order to calculate a single set of early/late ratings per horse? Wouldn't it be better if each race in the horse's racing record received a separate set of early/late ratings?
They do in TimeformUS PPs. Well, you can't actually see the late rating but it is easy to calculate. An option to see it will be coming soon. I'll explain tomorrow.

This is new to DRF...more to come I hope.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:43 AM   #1290
pandy

This is an excellent addition to DRF past performances. The Timeform Early/Late Ratings are potent. I thought they were so good that in my Power Pace Handicapping book, I included a chapter on how they can be used most effectively.

The fact that these ratigns are based on an average of several races is one of the main reasons why they are so good. The only drawback with the ratings, if a horse's last five starts includes more than one race on turf and the horse is racing on dirt today, the Late rating has to be taken with a grain of salt because it was averaged based on races on turf, and the late rating will be higher than it should be (very few horses finish as fast on dirt as they can on turf). This also holds true to a lesser extent if a horse is coming out of synthetic races and racing on dirt today.

Last edited by pandy; 04-27-2017 at 06:48 AM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
quick, timeform adjustment