Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #1
mountainman

Ticket Spinning

Best run ever at Mahoning stalled out as clueless 10 cent vertical player, a casual acquaintance for several years, has begun sitting next to me and yammering non-stop about his "tuff beats." The dude boxes 6 horses a race. rarely has more than two of them in the super, yet whines to HIGH HEAVEN about not getting paid after "handicapping" the race (apparently from a scratch sheet, since there IS no form or even pp program in evidence) to "perfection."

He bets every race at every track , and his inane rhetoric JUST NEVER ENDS. When he realizes I've tuned him out, not to be deterred, he thrusts 15 dime super boxes in my face, fanned out like a deck of cards, evidently expecting me to scan and read them like some human computer, credit him for some great job of handicapping, and mournfully lament that such a genius could have possibly missed the super.

Somewhat contradictory to my rep amongst pals as a guy with a bad temper, unless provoked (to an EXTREME extent), I am unfailingly polite-to a fault. But I just can't take any more of this guy.

Any suggestions??
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Any suggestions??
Easy.

Make sure he reads your original post.

(Show it to him from your computer or print it out if you have to.)
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Boomer

Reminds me of my OTB days in New York. Brutal.

At least at the track you can get away from these guys. Thanks god for web wagering
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Reminds me of my OTB days in New York. Brutal.

At least at the track you can get away from these guys. Thanks god for web wagering

Especially the close talkers with bad breath or the ones with body odor.

We used to call one guy aqualung. I still have that stench in my brain.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:00 PM   #5
mountainman

He came in late. Made bee line to me. Started putting his tickets on my form so I would have to look at them. Spoke very firmly to him. Without missing a beat, he headed straight to the closest.guy and started his speil.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:09 PM   #6
thaskalos

Lend him a little money...it's a surefire method to never seeing him again.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #7
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
OMG. That's hilarious.

Good advice, though.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2022, 04:06 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Give him a one man intervention. He'll either heed your advice and get better, or he'll never bother you again.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2022, 04:22 PM   #9
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Hall of Fame level post.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:06 PM   #10
tbwinner

Now I am not a winning player so maybe I am not within my rights, but I always laugh at such players who box 5-6+ horses in a super or tri. You're really giving 6 horses equal chance of winning?

Some days I do miss the OTB days. Although my racing timeline only goes back a little more than a decade, there were still numerous degenerates in the 2010 timeframe playing around the Arlington intertrack.

My favorites were the guy who would simulatenously smack his program, shake a bag of chips, and yell "Come on Russell, I got a bag of coke for you, Come on Russell" cheering on a Russell Baze 2-5 shot at Golden Gate.
Other guy, which is prevalent at every racetrack worldwide, yelling for the front runner 10 in front at the top of the lane, only to hit a brick wall and he also has every horse behind him too. Come on 6, come on 2 over the 38910, come on 4. Result 3-11-6. He announces with a grin, "I have the exacta!!!"
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #11
porchy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Best run ever at Mahoning stalled out as clueless 10 cent vertical player, a casual acquaintance for several years, has begun sitting next to me and yammering non-stop about his "tuff beats." The dude boxes 6 horses a race. rarely has more than two of them in the super, yet whines to HIGH HEAVEN about not getting paid after "handicapping" the race (apparently from a scratch sheet, since there IS no form or even pp program in evidence) to "perfection."

He bets every race at every track , and his inane rhetoric JUST NEVER ENDS. When he realizes I've tuned him out, not to be deterred, he thrusts 15 dime super boxes in my face, fanned out like a deck of cards, evidently expecting me to scan and read them like some human computer, credit him for some great job of handicapping, and mournfully lament that such a genius could have possibly missed the super.

Somewhat contradictory to my rep amongst pals as a guy with a bad temper, unless provoked (to an EXTREME extent), I am unfailingly polite-to a fault. But I just can't take any more of this guy.

Any suggestions??
From a man who has frequented racinos since their inception. I occasionally find normal average Joes there. But as a general rule, I handle those type of things by Lowering my expectations.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #12
mountainman

He came back. Worse than before.

I am two inches from telling him I can't taste food.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-05-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:32 PM   #13
Boomer

There you go....tell him you tested positive for Omicron today and you don't believe in masks or vaccines.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:57 PM   #14
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
Other guy, which is prevalent at every racetrack worldwide, yelling for the front runner 10 in front at the top of the lane, only to hit a brick wall and he also has every horse behind him too. Come on 6, come on 2 over the 38910, come on 4. Result 3-11-6. He announces with a grin, "I have the exacta!!!"
In today's terms he could be called "Sol Kumin".

As far as Mark's new best friend goes - there is some small comfort that there are still guys like that we play against in the pools. You could nickname him "TR" - Takeout Reducer.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2022, 08:37 AM   #15
zico20

Other guy, which is prevalent at every racetrack worldwide, yelling for the front runner 10 in front at the top of the lane, only to hit a brick wall and he also has every horse behind him too. Come on 6, come on 2 over the 38910, come on 4. Result 3-11-6. He announces with a grin, "I have the exacta!!!"[/QUOTE]

That is so funny, it brings back a memory for me of a guy at Fairmount who would scream at every front runner at the top of the stretch and when they quit what ever horses came in his words every single time was "GOT THAT TOO!"

The guy would look around and made sure no one was around him when he went to the window to bet.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: