Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #31
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
No those prices are for bagged loose feeding oats and alfalfa pellets 50lb sacks... in the 80s here hay was .75 to 1.50 depending on cut. Few years back was feeding 50 head... today it's only 11 old souls but is now costing me about the same per month.

I was talking bails what do they weigh 100# or so?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #32
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I was talking bails what do they weigh 100# or so?
They use to, but as with all things shrinkage happens. Now most are about 50 to 65 depending on how tight they have the machine set. Lost one of my hay guy this year he went all grain crops.. no insurance for hay loses was his reasoning. Got lucky and found a decent seller to replace him.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #33
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I wonder if hay pricing is regional? I haven't known a pet horse owner since a sister of a girlfriend in the early 80's. I always seem to remember numbers, the good green alfalfa was like $8, that even makes that $18.94 number not look so bad. That was in Calimesa Ca, Inland Empire, SoCal. No idea if you get huge volume discounts on hay, she would only get a half dozen bails at a time. Also in that area at the time farmers used to get subsidized water dirt cheap.
So I think there are many way to look at this, just none of it is good. The people who do not know how much a gallon of milk is or a pound of steak are and do not care anyway is your problem. Inflation is more of a tax on the lower middle but just like a rising tide lifting all boats, this hurts all. Another view suggesting some parts have more pain.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annual Inflation Nov.jpg (64.9 KB, 11 views)
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #34
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
They use to, but as with all things shrinkage happens. Now most are about 50 to 65 depending on how tight they have the machine set. Lost one of my hay guy this year he went all grain crops.. no insurance for hay loses was his reasoning. Got lucky and found a decent seller to replace him.

I just said 100#+ for safety, I think I was told 140 when I asked, this was a nice green leafy alfalfa bail. I once helped unload a hay truck a couple years

prior to meeting the girlfriend who had a sister with a horse, a very embarrassing moment for me, that is where the 140# came from.

There was a guy with mild cerebral palsy who was a ranch hand who walked with a limp that came in the weight room at the D3 college I went to, he came in there and lifted from time to time. He was taking a few classes.

He said he needed some help for a couple hours unloading a hay truck that day. I respected this handicapped guy and his fight, I had never seen someone with palsy doing as well as him, so I volunteered, on the house. As a power lifter and middle line backer, I figured no problem tossing around a few hay bails.

I hate to admit, I was all out to keep up with this tall lanky guy that would be lucky to bench half of what I could with a tail wind. I really needed to take breaks but no way in hell would I admit I needed a break. From looking at us he would have been 50-1 to win the hay chucking contest, and he lit me up.

Thanks for the info, I honestly never thought a bail of hay shrunk when I see prices. I thought only toilet paper rolls shrunk.
Old 12-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #35
chrisl

When I was young, I would work loading hay barns. Like you stated, I was a cracker jack athlete also. Always kicked my butt and then some. Incredible memories, great friends.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #36
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
When I was young, I would work loading hay barns. Like you stated, I was a cracker jack athlete also. Always kicked my butt and then some. Incredible memories, great friends.
It was/is tough work, chrisl. I did it in my teen years, along with working in Tobacco. The money was good, especially for a teenager. But...that money was EARNED.
Old 12-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #37
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
It was/is tough work, chrisl. I did it in my teen years, along with working in Tobacco. The money was good, especially for a teenager. But...that money was EARNED.
EARNED is a understatement. LOL
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #38
Elkchester Road

Quote:
EARNED is a understatement. LOL
Old 12-12-2021, 02:01 AM   #39
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Not just households
This is true. Businesses are being affected, but it all trickles down to the household eventually

My wife and I found a really cool house in east Tx to buy and fix up for moving into, or giving/ selling to one of her sons' family for residence. Older home, needs a LOT of work. A little big for us (3700sf) but right sized for one of her son's family

Long story short, materials have gone thru the roof. After putting a pencil to it we backed away and are wtg to see if the price comes down about 8k to cover the rehab. The 8k was difference in materials vs what we expected from experience (summer 2020)

ETA...a few folks I know that retired in the past 5 years have said inflation has drastically changed their lifestyles. It's definitely taking a toll on fixed income individuals and households
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 12-12-2021 at 02:06 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #40
lamboguy

this is probably a major reason for inflation now and

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/...0-years-later/

another stupid 1 2 punch is what is going on now in the United Kingdom. they don't want any drilling or exploration for natural gas, yet they are banning coal and other fossil fuels to produce electricity.

https://www.edfenergy.com/heating/advice/uk-boiler-ban

closing the Keystone pipeline may turn out to be another bad mistake.

to me, the inflation now is faster than what i remember in the '70s and '80s. as bad as inflation is, it's still better than deflation which i think is coming as well.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #41
Inner Dirt

Quote:

I just think there isn't a way to develop hay chucking muscles in a weight room. I also had real good endurance, I wonder if that guy knew how bad I was hanging by a thread.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #42
davew

Psaki says cruel conglomerates

https://babylonbee.com/news/psaki-vo...-for-no-reason
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #43
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Wow! Who would have ever thunk that a brainiac like Psaki would be a conspiracy theorist?
Old 01-13-2022, 03:47 AM   #44
fast4522

https://apnews.com/article/consumer-...5420f4fd0270f9

Can't outrun it.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2022, 10:54 AM   #45
davew

awesome numbers posted by the Biden regime, but aided by the catastrophic climate disruption caused by people who use petroleum products.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply