Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-02-2018, 03:03 AM   #1
thaskalos

How is this even possible?

Oakland A's slugger Khris Davis, who led the majors in home runs this year...has been able to accomplish something so shockingly improbable that it is virtually guaranteed to never be repeated by any other player in the entire history of the game. He has posted a batting average of exactly .247 in each of his last 4 years! ESPN had been following this story for the last several weeks of the season, wondering if Davis would be able to repeat this feat yet again this year...and the fact that he was able to do it warrants mention in a separate thread here, IMO...if only as a reminder of what we are capable of when we really put our minds to it.

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-02-2018 at 03:06 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
Marshall Bennett

Far from greatness however. I wouldn't want to be a pitcher known for posting 8 wins in 4 consecutive seasons. Strange perhaps, but nothing to be proud about either.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Far from greatness however. I wouldn't want to be a pitcher known for posting 8 wins in 4 consecutive seasons. Strange perhaps, but nothing to be proud about either.
Certainly not about greatness but still, in the vast scheme of the baseball universe, at least qualifies for an "oddity" award.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I believe the other Chris Davis set an all time record for the lowest batting average among qualifying players. He hit .168 while striking out 192 times in 470 official at bats, about 41% of the time. His average was a full 11 points lower than the previous worst.

For this season, Davis was paid the princely sum of $21,118,782. The O's are on the hook for the same amount for FOUR MORE YEARS!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I believe the other Chris Davis set an all time record for the lowest batting average among qualifying players. He hit .168 while striking out 192 times in 470 official at bats, about 41% of the time. His average was a full 11 points lower than the previous worst.

For this season, Davis was paid the princely sum of $21,118,782. The O's are on the hook for the same amount for FOUR MORE YEARS!
I could have been a crappy hitter for a lot less.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Quote:

Wow.

Could there be a new Mendoza Line coming?
Old 10-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

This deal is worse than the Darvish deal. I thought he might turn it around......but he plain sucks anymore. Never seen anything like it.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
Marshall Bennett

Davis has always been an all or nothing hitter. Dave Kingman comes to mind also. He hit some monster home runs but spent good part of his career striking out. Davis, playing for the "nothing" Orioles probably doesn't help his confidence any. At least he's a wealthy bad record holder.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Davis has always been an all or nothing hitter. Dave Kingman comes to mind also. He hit some monster home runs but spent good part of his career striking out. Davis, playing for the "nothing" Orioles probably doesn't help his confidence any. At least he's a wealthy bad record holder.
At first, I didn't think the comparison was fair to Kingman. .168 is an absolutely abysmal average.

But when I looked up there stats, was surprised at how similar they really were.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
Valuist

Davis really has prodigious power. Under 6 feet in height, under 200 pounds, he generates as much torque as anyone. Reminds me a bit of George Foster in the late 70s.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
mostpost

Quote:
I have posted 0 wins in 77 consecutive seasons. Hall of Fame, here I come.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
ElKabong

K Davis may be the all time Ranger killer. Seems like every series vs Texas he hits a couple of bombs and drives in ten or more.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Davis really has prodigious power. Under 6 feet in height, under 200 pounds, he generates as much torque as anyone. Reminds me a bit of George Foster in the late 70s.
Or Kirby Pucket? Jimmy Wynn?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Or Kirby Pucket? Jimmy Wynn?
Mel Ott 5'9" 170 lbs. 511 HR's

In regards to Chris Davis and his non-stop striking out,one baseball theory is that there is only one type of "good out" and that's an out that advances a runner.Otherwise, all other outs are created equal, in fact a slugger(who are often slow of foot) putting the ball in play may result in double plays or having the lead runner,who may be a better base runner, forced out at another base ,which are both worse than a K.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #15
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Mel Ott 5'9" 170 lbs. 511 HR's
Finally, someone who is older than me!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: